Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timber is now 19 holes, but it doesn't seem likely that the numbers on the original 18 will ever change (seeing as how they're stenciled on the teepads)... should we call the new first hole #0?
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
      Timber is now 19 holes, but it doesn't seem likely that the numbers on the original 18 will ever change (seeing as how they're stenciled on the teepads)... should we call the new first hole #0?
      As I understand it, the concept of the new hole and parking lot hasn't really caught on. There were three or for groups out there when I left yesterday, but I was the only one parked in the new lot. From what I hear, most people play the new hole as #19.

Are the numbers really stenciled on the teepads? I was looking at them yesterday and honestly didn't notice anything. The baskets are numbered, but I think the numbers bolt on and could easily be moved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Are the numbers really stenciled on the teepads? I was looking at them yesterday and honestly didn't notice anything.
        I'm pretty sure they are... some of them, anyway. I remember the first time I played Timber, going up to the adjacent #1 and #3 teepads and trying to figure out which was which.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I'm pretty sure they are... some of them, anyway. I remember the first time I played Timber, going up to the adjacent #1 and #3 teepads and trying to figure out which was which.
          Great, next time I'm out there I'll have to make a point of looking. It's all I'll be able to think about, like the time Kevin McHale was on Cheers. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539926/plotsummary

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
            Great, next time I'm out there I'll have to make a point of looking. It's all I'll be able to think about, like the time Kevin McHale was on Cheers. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539926/plotsummary
            What, are you going to count the black flecks in the concrete?
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

What, are you going to count the black flecks in the concrete?

No, that's just silly.

Why? How many do you think there are?

Comment

• Here's a couple off the top of my head.
                Wortman: -8 (front 12), -10 (Concrete 18), -5 (Long 18)
                Champoeg: -8
                Dexter: -4
                Adair: -1 (with lost disc penalty)
                Willamette: -7

The rest of the courses I don't play enough to remember what my PR's are. This is a nice thread. Thanks.

Comment

• Got -3 at Ewing Young today, and -4 at Champoeg, both PBs.

Once again, would have been -6 and -5 if I knew how to putt.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

• Shot -1 at Timber yesterday. Like Adam, it could have been a few strokes better if I could putt.
                    And yes, I did notice the numbers on the teepads.

Comment

• Shot -3 at Woodmansee Park last weekend. It's nothing to write home about, but it's a PB and I'm posting it here so's I don't forgets it.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

• So not a round I am super stoked about, considering I had 8 or 9 putts off the yellow band today. They moved some of the short holes back to the long positions yesterday it seems but I did card an 84 at McIver today. Which is my personal best, for the third consecutive time playing there the last 2 weekends (89,87,84). My game is starting to come together!

Comment

• Shot my best round at Trojan today, of -3 playing the "pro" pads. Not that happy with it considering I had 2 5's and 3 4's on the card, but such is life. But on the amazing side, 5 of us played 2 rounds and only lost 6 discs, not terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                            Shot my best round at Trojan today, of -3 playing the "pro" pads. Not that happy with it considering I had 2 5's and 3 4's on the card, but such is life. But on the amazing side, 5 of us played 2 rounds and only lost 6 discs, not terrible.
                            Where are the Am pads?
                            Current World Rank: 2857th
                            Lowest Rated Round: 777
                            Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                            Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                            Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                            Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                            Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                            Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

• From my understanding a few holes have longer, non cemented "pro" pads. Which by the way, while I like having cement pads...they need rough texture in the northwest guys! Those pads out there are slick when wet.

Comment

• We greatly appreciate the pads at Trojan, and we are grateful to PGE for installing them. One common pitfall of teepad installation is having them finished by professional finishers. Most professional concrete workers have never even seen a disc golf course (except Stan) in their lives. In their line of work, they have produced many different needed surface textures. Problem is, they have never produced one as rough as is required by a disc golf tee pad. Steady Ed said on of the best finishing techniques is the "skreet-it-and-leave-it" technique, which is counter-intuitive for professional installers. They may spend hours achieving the perfect finish, and may not understand the concept of performing no finish work at all. Steve Yang even brought the recommended astro-turf drag broom, but he was fooolishly shut down by the others when it did not work instantly, but all it needed was some weight on it and it would have worked great.

Anyway, I have repaired teepads with bad finishes. Often, a shiny glaze will form on top, or like in this case, not rough enough. The glaze will eventually wear off (as will a rough finish), but you can speed the process. What I have done (WITH A MASK ON!) is to use a power grinder to grind off the glaze, and to grind a waffle pattern into the teepad surface. Of course, once the pad absorbs water, freezes, and thaws, all the tiny outcroppings start breaking off easily. That's why the installer recommended sealant. Sealant keeps the water out of the concrete. But it can make it slippery. The installer recommended a mixture of sealant to stop the water, solvent to thin the sealant, and Shark Skin, a sand-like rough substance that you mix in to the sealant and apply every few years.
                                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X