X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gwillim View Post
    I'd say an 80' high hill and a hard dog-leg left is a fairly formidable obstacle.

I agree that it's a tweener, but I'd be willing to assume that for most of the MPO and MA1 division, it leans more toward a 4. I'm trying to find the scorecards from the HHOPEN so that I can find the averages.

I don't necessarily think the hole needs to be redesigned on the status that it's a tweener. If that were the case, then you'd have to redesign holes 1, 5, 7, 11, 12 because those are all really easy 2s, probably around 2.5 or so.

I'd just rather be satisfied calling is a par 4, even though it's not a difficult par four, it's a fairly easy birdie, as are the above holes, which I think we can all agree that we can't call par 2s.

Thanks, it was in a tag match...with the ladies. I won.
    Once again I have managed to throw a turd in the punch bowl without meaning to.

I never meant to overshadow an amazing accomplishment such as Gwillam's 44. My apologies Gwill. You rock! I hope you know I totally respect your game and you too.
    Peace out,
    Smo
    Training to be a bagger

Comment

• Originally posted by smobro View Post
      Once again I have managed to throw a turd in the punch bowl without meaning to.
      ?

I noticed no turd! Apology not necessary, we were simply debating/discussing the qualifications of hole 13.

Thanks for the props though!

Comment

• I think hole 13 should stay a par 3, a very tough par 3. I like the holes where a birdie 2 is impossible and you need to place your tee shot to have a clean shot at just getting par. Kinda like "original layout milo" hole number 1 being a par 4, it's an "impossible birdie 3", *i know 1 out of every 5,000 players get a birdie 3 on this hole*, but that what makes it a lockdown focus hole to get that par 4.
        Now for hole 18, I think that should be a par 4 since an awesome drive off the pad would still be over 150-250 feet from the basket if not more plus the mando presents difficulty off the tee. And if the swamp is marked OB, then that would be a bigger challenge.
        Hole 1 with the OB on the left and right make it a more intimidating birdie hole. Hole 11 has plenty of trees to knock down your drive. My opinion the course should be par 55. And my best is like -3 to -5, been a while...

Comment

• Originally posted by snap7times View Post
          Kinda like "original layout milo" hole number 1 being a par 4, it's an "impossible birdie 3"
          Have you never seen the short left position? That one's very three-able with the right 2nd shot.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

• During tournaments, this basket is always in the back so I refer to tournament pin placements most of the time. Forgive me for not being more clear. The 850' hole 1, with pin placement in the far back on the right is a very tough Par 4. I want it a Par 5, but Par 4 makes you work hard.

Comment

• Shot a -13 at HH #2 (Highland) course today. learned how to putt those baskets finally. did have 4 good putts scoop out of the bottom though. Wish we could score the inside of them so tey actually hold a putt. Can't fault the basic design or the designer though. Thnks Bob for creating a fun couple courses.
              Training to be a bagger

Comment

• Originally posted by smobro View Post
                Shot a -13 at HH #2 (Highland) course today. learned how to putt those baskets finally. did have 4 good putts scoop out of the bottom though. Wish we could score the inside of them so tey actually hold a putt. Can't fault the basic design or the designer though. Thnks Bob for creating a fun couple courses.
                How do you putt those baskets?
                "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

• I think the best way to putt the HH baskets is a nose down approach. coming in straight or nose up leads to more kickouts for sure.
                  All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

• Milo hole 1 of the 27 is NOT an impossible birdie at par 4. Several pros carded 3s last year and the year before at the Fling. Further, Hagerty and I got this in 3 playing doubles without much trouble. Well... not much trouble for me. Hagerty did most of the work. I just put the 12 foot putt in off of the two monster throws he put together. That could be a par 4 and probably should be. Not that it REALLY matters, though.
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

• It is okay for Hole 1 to be a par 5. After all, there isn't a rule that says you shouldn't be able to get eagles occasionally.

Comment

• I agree with this, too. I just don't buy the "impossible birdie" argument about that hole.
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

• I think it should be a par 5... And yes sam, i did mention that 1 out of 5,000 players get a birdie 3 on that hole... Sure some pros get a birdie 3, but how often? Less than 25 times a year out of the 20,000 players that play that hole? I was there when they were discussing the rationale to change the hole from par 5 to par 4... It made no sense because what about hole 3 on the cliff, most of the pros birdie that in 2, should we make that a par 2? Because I know if 20,000 players played that hole, there gonna be a few aces, same odds to make an birdie 3 on hole 1... In ball golf, eagles happen quite often for the pros on the par 5 holes, it should be available to the pros in disc golf. Amateurs should have an opportunity to birdie these tough holes, just like the pros. I did make this hole in 4, but not without 4 straight beautiful shots and I know I will probably never have an opportunity to look at a 3 on that hole...

Comment

• I do love hearing stories about people shooting -11, -13 or more on the Hornings short course. great scores for sure. But, is that playing Par 2's or Par 3's? According to Bob Horning, the course designer, it is a par 2 course. So, someone like Kent shooting -13, isnt truly a -13. If he shot 3's on 5 holes, and 13 2's, it wouldnt actually be a -13. It would actually be a +5.

Not trying to take away from anyones glory if they shot negative rounds on the short course, but your negative score playing par 3's isnt a neg par round if you are playing par 3's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
                              I do love hearing stories about people shooting -11, -13 or more on the Hornings short course. great scores for sure. But, is that playing Par 2's or Par 3's? According to Bob Horning, the course designer, it is a par 2 course. So, someone like Kent shooting -13, isnt truly a -13. If he shot 3's on 5 holes, and 13 2's, it wouldnt actually be a -13. It would actually be a +5.

Not trying to take away from anyones glory if they shot negative rounds on the short course, but your negative score playing par 3's isnt a neg par round if you are playing par 3's.
                              I would keep it at par 3... Otherwise the course record would probably be at E or -1 if someone nailed 17 2's and an ACE, which is like super hard... I would rather see -19 as the course record than a -1... But that's only one man's opinion... But then again you could make some holes par 2 and the others par 3 to make it more appropriate...

Comment

• as far as ease of record keeping, I say lets keep it as a par 3 for scoring. But in reality, from the course designer, it is a Par 2 course.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X