X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes HOPE is all we have! PLEASE READ

On October 31, I'll be playing the most important Disc Golf Tournament I've ever played, The Hope Open. The tournament will benefit the American Cancer Society and the money raised will help to give HOPE to those afflicted by this horrible disease. Sometimes, HOPE is all we have! My wife and I have both registered and we have purchased a Tee Sign in memory of those lost to Cancer and those that have survived.

[IMG][/IMG]

In the early 70's Norm Gilman, a good friend, was diagnosed with cancer and told that with treatment his life could be extended by 6-9 months. With no HOPE, Norm chose to not have the treatment and within a few weeks died from cancer.

In the late 80's my father was diagnosed with cancer and told that with a new procedure, whereby surgically implanting a pump into his body to administer chemotherapy that there was a chance, some HOPE that the cancerous cells could be killed and he MAY live. A year later I sat by his bedside, holding his hand as he was given shots of Morphine to kill pain in the final days of his life. The experimental treatment did not work but there was HOPE however small.

This past year my wifes Grandfather, Michael Bifano, was diagnosed with cancer and although in his 90's had great HOPE that he could beat the disease. Two days before his passing this past Spring, he was on the phone with his Doctor letting him know that he had just read about a new treatment that showed great promise and it might be something they could look into. There was HOPE like never before.

Also this past Spring and Summer, my wifes Stepfather and Father were diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, had surgery, and are both Cancer free.

There is HOPE!

We, the Disc Golf community, have an opportunity here to help to give HOPE to others and make a difference in the world. A lot is said of Disc Golf/Golfers and the perception of the sport. We have an opportunity to make that perception a possitive one and show that the Disc Golf community cares about our fellow man and are willing to help to give HOPE to those that sometimes have nothing more than HOPE to keep them going.

If you can sign up and play in this event...DO IT! If you can't play but maybe can purchase a Tee Sign of your own.......DO IT!

I am also accepting sponsorships/pledges to play in this event. (think bike-a-thon/walk-a-thon) Give what you can, no amount is too small. Sponsor me by the hole ($1x36) or a flat donation of whatever you can give. Did you know that a donation as small as $1 is tax deductible? If you would like to help, shoot me a pm and I'll respond with a mailing address or figure out a meeting place.

PLEASE.............Some times HOPE is all we have!

Thank you for reading,
    Bob

Bob you are inspiring!

Comment

While I will not be attending, I will add another 50 dollars to my Cancer Foundation donation this year (more than they'd get from me playing. Again this year my donation will be in the name of Nicole C. I had the pleasure of being one of Nicole's teachers for her four years of high school. I remember her as a freshman, so much energy, and a smile that was contagious. I never asked her about the scar running from one side of her head, across the top and down the other side. Later she told me that she spent most of her 8th grade year in a hospital bed. She was diagnosed with brain cancer and under went massive brain surgery. In 9th grade she went into total remission. Thirty days before graduation tests showed it had returned, that was last May. Subsequent tests showed another tumor on the other side of her brain as well as new growth in the old location. She is currently undergoing another round of chemo. Too much for a 19 year old if you ask me. Play this if you can, if not, donate.
      educate your thinking

Comment

I was on the fence about whether or not I could even afford to play in a tournie (this actually will be my first)... I am inspired by your passion and commitment, Bob, and I think I can shave some dollars off in a few other areas to save up my reg fee... you've just about made up my mind for me.

My dear friend Deborah is still suffering ill effects from her rounds of chemo, drug therapy and all the various surgeries she endured while battling breast cancer... it's been two years and she still seems fragile, but is always a ray of gorgeous sunshine and an incredible presence to be around. She is such a joy and always was, even threw the worst of it...

I will be honored to play this tournament for my various friends and loved ones who have battled and both won and lost...

peace threw disc golf,
        emmarose
        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Yay Bob thanks for all the support you ROCK sir

Emma so glad that your first tournament will be the Hope Open

My husband Steve (who is a cancer survior by the way) and are signed up, and we also purchased an honor sign.

Not only is this going to be an event to raise money for such a worthy cause as the American Cancer Society, but it is going to be such awesome fun. How often do you get to play golf in a goofy costume, or at least watch a bunch of other people play in goofy costumes.

Cindy
          Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
          Stumptown #176
          PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
            Yay Bob thanks for all the support you ROCK sir

Emma so glad that your first tournament will be the Hope Open

My husband Steve (who is a cancer survior by the way) and are signed up, and we also purchased an honor sign.

Not only is this going to be an event to raise money for such a worthy cause as the American Cancer Society, but it is going to be such awesome fun. How often do you get to play golf in a goofy costume, or at least watch a bunch of other people play in goofy costumes.

Cindy
            Thanks everybody! Yes, you will see Cindy's hubbies name on the survivor list on my sign. Yay Steve! You know I forgot to mention that there ARE payouts in this tournament too. Come get some cash! I might even have some Trick or Treats.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Over the Hill" Bob;36798]On October 31, I'll be playing the most important Disc Golf Tournament I've ever played, [URL="http://nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2385
              The Hope Open[/URL]. The tournament will benefit the American Cancer Society and the money raised will help to give HOPE to those afflicted by this horrible disease. Sometimes, HOPE is all we have! My wife and I have both registered and we have purchased a Tee Sign in memory of those lost to Cancer and those that have survived.

[IMG][/IMG]

In the early 70's Norm Gilman, a good friend, was diagnosed with cancer and told that with treatment his life could be extended by 6-9 months. With no HOPE, Norm chose to not have the treatment and within a few weeks died from cancer.

In the late 80's my father was diagnosed with cancer and told that with a new procedure, whereby surgically implanting a pump into his body to administer chemotherapy that there was a chance, some HOPE that the cancerous cells could be killed and he MAY live. A year later I sat by his bedside, holding his hand as he was given shots of Morphine to kill pain in the final days of his life. The experimental treatment did not work but there was HOPE however small.

This past year my wifes Grandfather, Michael Bifano, was diagnosed with cancer and although in his 90's had great HOPE that he could beat the disease. Two days before his passing this past Spring, he was on the phone with his Doctor letting him know that he had just read about a new treatment that showed great promise and it might be something they could look into. There was HOPE like never before.

Also this past Spring and Summer, my wifes Stepfather and Father were diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, had surgery, and are both Cancer free.

There is HOPE!

We, the Disc Golf community, have an opportunity here to help to give HOPE to others and make a difference in the world. A lot is said of Disc Golf/Golfers and the perception of the sport. We have an opportunity to make that perception a possitive one and show that the Disc Golf community cares about our fellow man and are willing to help to give HOPE to those that sometimes have nothing more than HOPE to keep them going.

If you can sign up and play in this event...DO IT! If you can't play but maybe can purchase a Tee Sign of your own.......DO IT!

I am also accepting sponsorships/pledges to play in this event. (think bike-a-thon/walk-a-thon) Give what you can, no amount is too small. Sponsor me by the hole ($1x36) or a flat donation of whatever you can give. Did you know that a donation as small as $1 is tax deductible? If you would like to help, shoot me a pm and I'll respond with a mailing address or figure out a meeting place.

Thank you for reading,
              Bob
              BUMP

Comment

Awesome sign Bob! Thank you for adding my cousin Leanne's name on your beautiful sign.
                "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet View Post
                  Awesome sign Bob! Thank you for adding my cousin Leanne's name on your beautiful sign.
                  Leanne was a very special person and through her struggles taught ME a lot about living and life.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Over the Hill" Bob;36798]On October 31, I'll be playing the most important Disc Golf Tournament I've ever played, [URL="http://nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2385
                    The Hope Open[/URL]. The tournament will benefit the American Cancer Society and the money raised will help to give HOPE to those afflicted by this horrible disease. Sometimes, HOPE is all we have! My wife and I have both registered and we have purchased a Tee Sign in memory of those lost to Cancer and those that have survived.

[IMG][/IMG]

There is HOPE!

Thank you for reading,
                    Bob

.................................................. ..................................................

Wow........even my EX wife pledged money for me.

Bob

Comment

Yah, you go Bob!! It's high time we make cancer a thing of the past once and for all. Science is getting closer to a cure with each passing day. We can help in big ways with even a small donation to this cause. I too have lost several friends to cancer. IT'S TIME TO KICK CANCER'S BUTT!!! Oh, and have a great time doing it too. Thanks for your support and see you all there.

Steve
                      Just shut up and throw!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve McMahan View Post
                        Yah, you go Bob!! It's high time we make cancer a thing of the past once and for all. Science is getting closer to a cure with each passing day. We can help in big ways with even a small donation to this cause. I too have lost several friends to cancer. IT'S TIME TO KICK CANCER'S BUTT!!! Oh, and have a great time doing it too. Thanks for your support and see you all there.

Steve
                        I'm hearing that along with the nice payout there will be lots of other prizes. Woohoooo!

Bob

Comment

I have recieved no pledges/sponsorship from disc golfers but that is ok. Do come out and play though, this is going to be a lot of fun.

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X