X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disrespect

I was visiting with my aunt and uncle last night and we were having a good time until the topic turned to golf. My uncle is a casual ball golfer and has never wanted to learn about or take disc golf seriously. The words out of his mouth were, "...You can play golf your entire life, you will outgrow frisbee." I stabbed him, promptly removed his arms and used them like golf clubs to beat his limp carcass.
    This is the ingorance we face daily from those that have no idea our sport exhists. I have dedicated more time to putting then most ball golfers have dedicated to actual play on the course and I am told I will outgrow my passion. I have not been able to play as many tournaments as I would like but the ones I do I have high expectations for myself. I have put in the time to raise my game to what I beleive is a respectable level. I am unsatisfied with Mediocrity and strive to constantly improve my game. It is getting annoying to me that such a great game, sport, is flying under the radar. Why has this been? What can we as a community do to promote the sport of disc golf. My view is from a player who lives in washington and sees that we are far behind most states when it comes to disc golf on all levels. I am going to be putting on a winter series to raise money to purchase EDGE packages for our local schools since I have noticed that my state is one of only about eight that have no edge programs running. I am sure my frustration will go away but I feel most of the world is missing a great thing. Rant over, sollution manifesting.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

I think that this is a great post and something that has been on my mind for a while. For my part, I run clinics and educate people who show a little interest. Most students have absolutely no idea the level of organization that exists beyond the parks department holding clinics...

I also tell anyone who will listen what a great game this is and list the reasons why it is better than ball golf (cost, ease and quickness of play, no tee times, etc, etc).

I think your idea for raising money for the EDGE program is excellent. Post the schedule here and if I cannot make it, I will send up some support.

Thanks for bringing this topic forward!
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I bartend at a local members only club where most members play ball golf. when asked if I play golf I mention that I Disc golf and I am met mostly with hmmpffs! "Thats not even close to golf!" is the reply. Then after I explain the rules, standards etc. some are willing to give it a try.

There is nothing more satisfying then taking someone out for a first outing and letting them enjoy the sport for what it is. The pig-headed members will always be that way and I don't want to play a round with them anyways. I always try and get as many newbies out there as possible. And once they go they are usually hooked!

If you get them there, they will play!

Comment

I'm mystified by the harumphs of ball golfers. There's absolutely nothing that makes one game "superior" to the other, unless you count the fact that their holes are 3x longer. (Which makes sense, since we don't artificially make our arms three times longer like they do.)
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider
          (Which makes sense, since we don't artificially make our arms three times longer like they do.)
          Now THIS is intriguing... How far could we throw if we did?
          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider
            I'm mystified by the harumphs of ball golfers. There's absolutely nothing that makes one game "superior" to the other, unless you count the fact that their holes are 3x longer. (Which makes sense, since we don't artificially make our arms three times longer like they do.)
            They just need to feel superior b/c they're paying more for one day than we do for a month. (well, depending on levels of intoxication and/or amount of lost plastic)
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

This is turning into a ball vs disc discussion. I worked at a ball golf course for a bit with the sole purpose of throwing my discs on the course and running a disc tourney on the course. goals completed! I met with a bunch of ballers and grew to have a respect for the game. I watch golf on TV whenever I get a chance because the similarities of the two sports from a mindset perspective is undeniable. I watch to see how players react to situations and although I do not play ball golf I can respect it. I would appreciate the mutual respect but I do not see that happening for quite a while. When working at the course I met a bunch of players that were a bit rude in nature and would not fit in with the crowd in the trees. These individuals are unaware of the similarities and devote enough time into their game to get a pass if you will. It is the 9th grader with nothing better to do but watch TV and pick on his sister that I am more worried about. How do we get these kids or anybody for that matter to become aware of the game of disc golf?
              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

future of any sport = the kids

Originally posted by REDFIVE
                How do we get these kids or anybody for that matter to become aware of the game of disc golf?
                One idea for the kids would be to approach the school districts and offer DG clinics. Or perhaps have field trips to your local DGC.
                Also, I believe the PDGA has a program relating to our children and DG.
                Good luck, especially with the 5th and 6th graders.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE
                  It is the 9th grader with nothing better to do but watch TV and pick on his sister that I am more worried about. How do we get these kids or anybody for that matter to become aware of the game of disc golf?
                  I'm a 16 year old that started playing last year and now plays everyday. Whenever I see kids on the course, I always play a few rounds with them. I do my best to teach them to the best of my abilities. Being such an inviting person, they usually come back. After playing a couple times, they get hooked and I check back with them every once in a while to show/ tell them something new. Just over the last week I've gotten 2+ people hooked and they've already improved and brought friends out to try out disc golf. This is how you promote disc golf to new people, especially kids/ teens. Invite them to join you for a round and teach them a few things so they have fun.

Also, I'm probably going to start a disc golf club at my high school and I'm going to try to get Dave or Avery to help me promote it if possible.

Comment

Disc golf has been around for 30 years, give or take a few. Ball golf has been around about a thousand years, give or take a few.

Naturally, it will take a little longer before our sport is treated with mutual respect.

The best thing we can do right now is continue to evangalize the sport, in the most positive way possible.

Funny side note.... I always refter to the sport I play as "golf". Those that know me know what I'm talking about. There's a guy that works with Bob and I that absolutely hits the roof every time we call it golf. Natutally, I now do it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                      Funny side note.... I always refter to the sport I play as "golf". Those that know me know what I'm talking about. There's a guy that works with Bob and I that absolutely hits the roof every time we call it golf. Natutally, I now do it all the time.
                      Dude... you're a moderator. The guy asked you not to go there. Sheesh!

I'm just messing with you.

I love to see the look on ball golfers' faces when I call their sport "ball golf" when I am talking about the type of golf I don't play.

Hmmm... am I making the situation better or worse?
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Like I always tell the stick golfers, "I've never played stick golf on any course that didn't have a windmill hole."
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

When I was asked about disc golf and its relvance to ball golf I just smiled and said
                          "Its golf but just not with the snobish country club attitude. You go to any disc course and your always going to run into to peolpe having fun and willing to have you tag along. You go to the country club and people act like their presence is a gift to everyone."
                          WORK LESS THROW MORE
                          http://www.grippt.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            Dude... you're a moderator. The guy asked you not to go there. Sheesh!

I'm a moderator HERE. I'm certainly not one at work.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X