Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see people going through their throws over and over again, except not releasing the disc of course. I do the same thing, but i do it all in my head. I step up, imagine my release then throw my disc and then go for it. It annoys me to see people going over their throw over and over on the tee pad. 4-5 times throwing a fake throw is way too much. i know what my throw is going to do if I release it right, so why run up 4-5 times and practice it? If you are dong, maybe 1 time to feel the release is ok, but beyond that is just lame to me.
    All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm trying to eliminate all my pre-huck rituals from my game. It seems to me however, that if I don't do these things every single time I'm on the pad that my game goes to poo . Damn OCD!!!! I guess I've done it since I played team sports though. Like in basketball, I'd have to spin the ball in my fingers like 10-15 times before I'd take my free throws. Same in hockey. Always had to put on the left side of my gear first, i.e. elbow pads, shin pads, skate. Then the right. Then the left glove yada yada yada.

My overhand ritual is simple. Line it up straight where I want it to land, walk backwards on the tee pad while snapping my wrist in the same line I want it to travel, take a step off the pad with my lead foot, run and huck. 300 foot thumbers rule.

Putting is the only thing I don't have a ritual for. Since I never know if I'm going to have to ballerina (one foot up like a fairy), squat or shoot from my knees. Maybe I should start having one...
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

When it's my turn, I like to use the attention I get by telling a joke or a funny story. Not a short joke, but a long, drawn-out, slow to develop, something too big for even reader's digest to publish, type of joke. Sometimes these stories take so long, the group behind us can catch up so I can share this joke with them too. The Aristrocrat joke (google it) can sometimes cause a 3 or 4 group backup at my tee box....

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
          When it's my turn, I like to use the attention I get by telling a joke or a funny story. Not a short joke, but a long, drawn-out, slow to develop, something too big for even reader's digest to publish, type of joke. Sometimes these stories take so long, the group behind us can catch up so I can share this joke with them too. The Aristrocrat joke (google it) can sometimes cause a 3 or 4 group backup at my tee box....
          Ok, that's just funny as heck.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
            THE ARISTOCRATS! snaps fingers

(Everybody does the finger snaps, right?)

Comment

As Emmarose so reminded me in another thread,

I mostly get the 'yips' and see my disc sail toward any other occupied teepad that is in range; followed by a loud curse, 'fore', ducking, screaming, and finally innocent whistling and finger pointing to my buddy while his back is turned.

-Mark

Comment

I try to keep my eye on the driver's disc as an aid to finding it if goes astray. I like seeing a great shot too. I always flinch when the person on the pad lets go. The bad part is, I always flinch when they DON'T let go too. That drives me nutz. I probably do a little of that too, though at least I don't run up. I know there's nothing to do for my flinching problem. At least a ball golfer takes warm-up swings to the side of the ball. I get jerked around by those dry runs.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I read a lot of Harvey Pennick's books (The Little Red Book, For All Who Love the Game, And if you Play Golf You're my Friend, A Game for a Lifetime) and find them quite transferable from ball golf to disc golf...I try mostly on the teepad to "take dead aim" which is one of his recurring themes throughout all of his lessons, and thus,while I know I'm doing weird little semi-autistic type behaviours, what I remain concious of is deep, calming breaths and taking dead aim...not just where I want the disc to end up, but also the path I want it to take.

peace threw disc golf,
                  emmarose
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Teepad rituals

I usually do 1 dry run step threw on the tee pad with the disc held in my left hand, im rhbh. This allows my to eyeball/aim at my targeted flight path's AND get proper location on the tee pad.
                    Dirt, rock,concrete, rubber pad, flypad, carpet, etc. It seem's to like to do it on most all drive?? Don't ask about my putting ritual TW

Comment

When I first saw this thread I said to myself, "Self, you don't have any rituals." But after consciously keeping tabs, I definitely have a ritual.

For the last few years I've played a lot of golf that have natural tee pads. So I tend to "test" the spot where my right foot will pivot at the release point. Now I do this on any type of tee pad, concrete or other. I also grab some dry dirt and rub it my finger tips and Disc, and proceed to piss my wife off by wiping the excess off on my right pant leg. Love ya babe!

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post

Kenny Clark always gets me looking down the fairway for his forehand-fakeout-drive! He goes FULL SPEED!
                        Ha ha,

No doubt on that! He didn't learn that one from me and although I play with him everyday I still "expect" him to misfire it atleast once and it hasn't happened yet. I've shortened my approach alot but it still probably seems excessive to anyone watching

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X