X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teepad Rituals

So I know that everyone has a different pre-drive ritual once their feet hit the rubber or concrete. It's interesting to see what people do without even knowing it.

I have to walk to the front of every pad, snapping my wrist the way I want to release the disc. Then I'll take three steps back, snap my wrist three times, take another three steps back so I'm at the back of the teepad and snap my wrists three times again. Then I'll walk forward to where I'm going to start my forward motion for my drive, swing my arm three times with a snap in my wrist. Then I take one step back, close my eyes and put a vision to my throw. Open my eyes, look at my target and then let her rip. I stand off the front of the teepad till my disc hits the ground or hopefully basket.

I've noticed that I do this off every teepad regardless if I have to or not. It's a sub-conscience thing.

What are everybody's else's rituals off the pad? I have a friend that has to bust out a brush and sweep off each pad (he carries a travel brush with him in his bag)
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

I had a friend tell me one time that my tee pad ritual nearly hypnotized him, but just like my grunt when I throw, it's not something i like to think about because it is so subconcious that if I start thinking about it, I forget how to properly do it and then I can't remember and then I forget how to golf. I have this same issue periodically with my grip...i'll not be able to remember how I hold my disc...it usually works itself out by the end of my round. I know my routine has a lot of rocking back and forth, spinning my disc until i find the right spot on the rim and lots of unnecessary hand flapping and funny finger rubbing. I'm a bit of a headcase...in both disc golf and life...

peace threw disc golf,
    emmarose

p.s. the only part I can really put my finger on and make sure I do every time is at least three good deep breaths...I do this when I putt also.
    Last edited by emmarose; September 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM. Reason: forgot the most important part
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Ahhhh so refreshing!!

I just gotta say I'm so relieved this thread was started. I knew I wasn't the only one with a somewhat unorthodox - verging on OCD - pre shot routine. One of my funniest moments ever was watching Brian Anders re-enact his interpretation of my quirkiness. It was horribly embarrasing but according to Jaymie and Melkers (who was video-taping the whole thing) it was spot on. I still beg to differ!! Needless to say the awareness made me work hard to simplify my run up. I'm still a freak about it but it takes about half the time now ;-)

Comment

everyone knows mine... I try to visualize the line and then make an actual throw, except that the disc is still in my hand, fooled just about everyone with this one... I'm working on reducing this ofc...

Comment

I don't do anything out of the ordinary from the pad, but when throwing from the fairway, I always step off my run up like a FG kicker does.

Kenny Clark always gets me looking down the fairway for his forehand-fakeout-drive! He goes FULL SPEED!
          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

When I get to a big full throw after not throwing one for awhile (i.e. coming out of the woods at Whistlers or Adair, or after a long wait) I'll take a few full swings with a towel to groove my stroke before I throw the shot. It really helps.

PS it is really good to think about your run up and throw and try to get rid of extraneous actions... when I started I always took an extra step after my X step... it was totally sub-conscious. But to fix it I had to spend a couple of field sessions just really focused on a new foot pattern. Long story short if you can't say why you choose to do something in your throw you should ask yourself if it is helping. Good technique is about recognizing first and then changing.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
              everyone knows mine... I try to visualize the line and then make an actual throw, except that the disc is still in my hand, fooled just about everyone with this one... I'm working on reducing this ofc...
              Yeah, that has gotten me a few times, only you need to add to your description that you do this 20 times in a row before usinga disc. just ribbing ya,
              Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

On the teepad I go through a mental pre-flight checklist. I first try to visualize the shot and then ask myself if I've chosen the right disc for the job. I then try to position the disc how I want it when it leaves my hand: nose down, disc flat, etc. Then I step back, pause, and begin my runup. Nothing too bizare.

However, when I throw an overhand shot I have a routine that is pretty noticable. I almost take three practice swings, complete with full run up. Since I do a walk up when I throw my practice swing looks just like my throw, except that the disc doesn't leave my hand. Several people have told me that I faked them out, but my son showed me that I have a "tell" that gives it away: Right before I throw I dip the disc to my side very quickly before throwing for real. I had never noticed it. The reason for this routine is because I rarely throw thumbers - maybe once or twice per round - and there is a good chance that when I go to throw one that it will be my first of the day. I do this routine to try to loosen those muscles.

And finally, when in the fairway I also practice my run-up 2-3 times to make certain of my footing.

Comment

Rub the dirt, chuck it and hope it don't hurt.
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I've had numerous people comment on this, I have no teepad ritual, most of the time I get up off the bench and walk right into the throw. I always visualize the shot in my head clearly, but I typically don't stop once I'm on the pad. I've started to change this a bit, sometimes grabbing some dirt, but I only slow down when I make a conscious effort.
                    PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                    dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

I guess i never thought about.......not sure what mine is. I have to ask anyone who has ever played with me.

Mike cain did tell me that i do "kick start" my back foot when putting. I guess the heel of my back foot drops down, touches the ground, and springs back up when putting. I thought most every one did that. I do miss alot more putts since he told me that now.
                      WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

i dont do a "run" up, but i stand on the front of the pad and choose a line, walk 3 steps back and one step right, put my arm up and look down my arm to the line i want, pull the arm of my shirt back a little then shoot.

im gonna try to get a real run-up going this winter, i drag my back foot on every throw and it ruins my shoes really fast on the inside left toe.

Comment

I get up, look at my aiming point, pull through the arm motion once or twice, start to hum the opening bars of "Flight of the Valkyries," fart (if necessary) then plow it into the nearest tree.

I would say it works for me, if it did...

Comment

I suppose to be totally truthful, I burp a lot on the tee box...because I'm a lady I save the farting for little private fart-walks by myself when I'm walking to my disc...
                            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X