X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Seattle Trip - Review of SeaTac, Lakewood and NAD

Jamie and I headed up to Seattle Saturday morning and hooked up with Chuck and Tim at SeaTac about noon. The weather was kind of crappy but we were excited to be at a new course (for her) and immediately hit the links. Started really well for me with a birdie out of the car but that was just SeaTac sucking me in and building up my confidence. Two got some revenge and then the rest of the course had its way with me. I think I finished in the area of +10 - +12. Ouch!

Sad what was done to basket 13 (never seen a basket so abused) and what is continuing to go on at tee pad 14. These two blights seriously put a damper on the mood and I hope that both situations get rectified soon. What I saw there was nothing short of disgusting and I hope that this is improved prior to our next visit.

Lakewood was the late afternoon destination and both Jamie and I had a great time throwing this beautiful course with Chuck and Tim. I played horribly and got out of there over par - probably 5 or 6 up. The rolling hills and use of elevation makes this a truly fun course and the wind just ups the challenge that much more.

Dinner was at Ivars. Holy crap they have some good seafood and it was very cool to sit on the Sound and watch the boats. Highly recommended (thanks Chuck and Tim for the suggestion!)

Sunday we woke later than expected and headed for the ferries. After getting lost and getting a fairly good tour of Safeco and Qwest fields, we finally arrived. Took the ferry to Bremerton, filled up the gas tank and found NAD. THIS COURSE ROCKS!

NAD was beautifully laid out using the terrain very well. A lot of elevation changes and very tight and technical fairways makes this a destination course all on its own. Not very long, the course played in a couple of hours for the two of us so rather than venture into the great unknown, we played it three times - all from the Red Tees (Yes... almost every hole has multiple tees!). First round was more of a get-acquainted round but I did finish off the circuit with 4 straight birdies on 15-18 to go -6. Second round started off rough but then got super solid in the middle and I finished -6. Third round was more solid starting hot, sagging a little in the middle and finishing hot to go... yeah... -6. So -6, -6, -6 makes me... the anti-anti-Christ, I guess. Oh... and the little woman finally found her groove on our last round with 5 birdies and 2 bogeys to shoot a stellar 51. I really am getting nervous...

We will definitely be heading back to the West Sound as our sport seems to be exploding there with at least 4 other courses that I would like to hit. Whatever is in the water that makes the WSDGC so awesome, please bottle it and send it down our way. The work you have put in to NAD is evident on every fairway and at every tee. The cleanliness of the park was also remarkable and we had one excellent day throwing your course.

Great time. Thanks to Tim and Chuck for being our guides and keeping smiles on our faces. We will definitely be back soon.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

"Sad what was done to basket 13 (never seen a basket so abused) and what is continuing to go on at tee pad 14. These two blights seriously put a damper on the mood and I hope that both situations get rectified soon. What I saw there was nothing short of disgusting and I hope that this is improved prior to our next visit."

I haven't gotten the chance to get out there lately what specifically has happened?
    Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
      "Sad what was done to basket 13 (never seen a basket so abused) and what is continuing to go on at tee pad 14. These two blights seriously put a damper on the mood and I hope that both situations get rectified soon. What I saw there was nothing short of disgusting and I hope that this is improved prior to our next visit."

I haven't gotten the chance to get out there lately what specifically has happened?
      http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...read.php?t=631

Comment

Glad you guys had a good trip! Those were a fun couple of rounds, and thankfully dry for the most part! Good to hear you dug on NAD too--really, it's hard not to. You should give the blue tees a whirl next time you're up, I think only a couple rounds from the blues and long pins have been recorded under par. And yeah, I know I recommended it before, but I'll recommend it again: Fairgrounds! To use the SAT analogy format Lakewood:SeaTac::NAD:Fairgrounds.

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        So -6, -6, -6 makes me... the anti-anti-Christ, I guess. Oh... and the little woman finally found her groove on our last round with 5 birdies and 2 bogeys to shoot a stellar 51. I really am getting nervous...
        I know you don't believe in such things, but I do believe that's a sign. A sign you two should sign up for Terror Creek!

But yes, glad you made the trip. It was great playing with you guys, and hope we can do it again, sooner than later.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Hey Sam,

Glad you could make the trip over the West Sound. You kind of caught me by surprise when I noticed you on Sunday. I would of showed you around, but I already had my hands full with my kids and a Bag Tag Challenge too start within the hour.

Yes, we are blessed with a large group of dedicated players who want to maintain and improve our local courses. It also doesn't hurt that the Board that makes up the WSDGA all get along and have the same vision for disc golf in the West Sound.

I still can't believe how much has been accomplish since 2004. Yes, that was the year when NAD park was installed. Before that, there was only one disc golf course in the area, which was a private course open to the public.

Now, there are six courses to choose. Which is great, but I hardly get over the Narrows bridge to play the other course in the Puget Sound area.

Sam

Comment

You didn't make it to the Fairgrounds course?

Get back up here, Sam. I'll see what I can do about some steaks and redbeansnrice.
            The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

I'm really glad you posted this review, Sam. I've heard many good things about NAD (and Kitsap fairgrounds), but for some reason have never ventured over there. Well, as a frequenter of both Lakewood and SeaTac, your praise of NAD really struck a chord with me, and combined with Tim's SAT advice, I'm now inspired to make a ferry trip within the next 2 weeks.

Also, I second Tim's Terror Creek theory.

anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X