Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzz Help

Hey All
    First off I am new to this site and Game (6 months). I have started with a minamalist mind set figuring I would learn 2 discs and add as I saw a need. I throw a Valk for a driver and use an xd for short stuff and putting. As my throw improved I found I was overthrowing some of the shorter holes at Vance where I play most. However, I cannot get my xd to these holes. I decided to get a Buzz to fill this gap as it got very high praise. Problem is I am having a tough time figuring this disc out. Thrown with a power grip it comes out low and wormburns. Thrown with a one finger on the rim and three on the flat like I throw my xd does not work either. The flight it does take before crashing into the ground is nice and straight so I know if I can fix my throw or release it will work great. What grips do you all use and how much power? Do you throw this off the tee exactly like you would a driver with the reachback and snap or just a nice firm shot? Any advice would help, Thanks in advance
    SD

There is a video that goes over different grips that might help. Search "dave feldberg" on youtube
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

The last PDGA magazine had a great set of articles with a handful of pros discussing grip - the article was called gripology.

I'd offer you my copy but I think I got drunk and ate it.

Comment

I prefer the "Stacked Grip"
        I'm pretty sure i first saw it on one of the youtube videos either of Feldberg or Climo

Comment

I use what I think is called the modified fan grip. Pointer and pinkie on the rim with the middle and ring on the flat.

Comment

I don't have a lot of pop. I use the same grip for the Buzzz as I do for drivers (a three finger lock-no pinkie). I like the FLXs best. Here's what I've found about Buzzzes: you have to throw them pretty much with a full pull to get them to behave (go straight). Therefore, if your full-pull Buzzz range is longer than the shot you are lining up, you will likely overthrow it. Backing off on a Buzzz makes it give a big fade.

I know what you mean about worm burning. I find that different discs leave my hand higher or lower, depending on the disc. The Buzzz being one I have to aim just a bit higher. I now have five Buzzzes in my bag. I just love 'em.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I'll have to echo Bob's statements here, I throw a lot of Buzzes, I have 4 in the bag and I use my 4 fingered power grip the same as my drivers, with the Buzz I just make sure to not release early and give it lots of snap, it's the straightest flying disc I have. Try just throwing it in a field rather than on the course, that sort of repetition lets you work out release issues.
              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

I throw a 171 Pro D more than the 176 Z. I use the Z if I need a strong finish and off the T, using a Berkley Power Grip (there's an old grip reference see "Frisbee by the Masters" by Charles Tips). With the Pro D it's a fan grip, and all about control, whether I'm throwing a hyzer or an annie shot. The Buzzz is a touch disc that can handle some power, just like a Roc. I encourage you to get a Pro D and beat it in, shoot for a weight about 5 grams lighter than your heaviest driver. Then give it 6 months of throwing it quite a bit. In the pro D it's a great disc to have during the rainy season. If you prefer a beaded rim in your hand, pick up a DX Roc. When you're throwing either remember that it wants to be told which line to be on, but don't let your power cancel out total control. Oh, and remember to aim for the Universe and you can't miss. Enjoy figuring it out, it takes a little time. 'J'
                educate your thinking

Comment

When I throw my buzzz, I tend to throw from my chest more. If I throw from my waist I tend to throw worm burners. Also, I release hyzer. If I throw it flat it just keeps sailing to the right (RHBH). When I release with a little hyzer it flattens out and goes straight. I love the Buzzzzzzzz

Comment

Why do I carry five Buzzzes? Because on some shots, they are just so much god-damned fun. It's worth carrying the weight just to watch 'em sail. All of them are close, but still slightly different. Once you know each of them, it's like tossing darts at a board (250 feet down the hill).

Comment

dundundummmm

Throw the buzzz in a box and get a roc.
                      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Not Chevy vs. Ford again!

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                          I throw a 171 Pro D more than the 176 Z. I use the Z if I need a strong finish and off the T, using a Berkley Power Grip (there's an old grip reference see "Frisbee by the Masters" by Charles Tips). With the Pro D it's a fan grip, and all about control, whether I'm throwing a hyzer or an annie shot. The Buzzz is a touch disc that can handle some power, just like a Roc. I encourage you to get a Pro D and beat it in, shoot for a weight about 5 grams lighter than your heaviest driver. Then give it 6 months of throwing it quite a bit. In the pro D it's a great disc to have during the rainy season. If you prefer a beaded rim in your hand, pick up a DX Roc. When you're throwing either remember that it wants to be told which line to be on, but don't let your power cancel out total control. Oh, and remember to aim for the Universe and you can't miss. Enjoy figuring it out, it takes a little time. 'J'
                          Can it be that JMan is finally seeing the light. This is the best advice he has ever given!!

Comment

Not seeing the light, just being pragmatic. I throw Buzzzes, but I have witnessed my same style of touch and devotion to the Roc. And I've always felt any disc should feel comfortable in and coming out of the hand; I don't like the feel or release of a beaded disc. Consequently, I say try a Buzzz, but if you prefer the feel of a bead I have first hand evidence that folks can throw a Roc almost as well as I can throw my Buzzz
                            educate your thinking

Comment

I have never been able to throw any mold of Roc worth a damn. While I can't throw a Buzzz really long, along side my Roc throw, it seems really long. The FLX Buzzz just leaves my hand very predictably. There has to be some combination of release speed and spin, arm motion and grip, that makes what works for one person not work for someone else. There is NOT a one-size-fits-all disc, IMHO.

BTW, I grew up liking Chevies. Now I could give a sh*t. I drive Hondas.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X