Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USDGC LIVE on Internet

http://www.pdga.com/usdgc-on-live-internet-tv

I just registered and donated some money to this, hopefully everyone donates 10-25 dollars so that this calapults DG into the mainstream faster...

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

framing

Right on! This will give me a reason to turn on the TV... er, sort of.

I bet I'll be able to get a few of my casual DG friends to check this out since it has a "no donation" option. Then if they get a couple of their friends interested, and those friends each get a few of their friends to tune in, and so on, everyone in the world will finally see how awesome our sport is! Or more likely, the server would be overwhelmed and crash, and we'd look really lame. Maybe the PDGA's projection of 5-10,000 is enough of a goal for now. Still, I'm going to try to singlehandedly boost it up to 10,004.

On a serious note though, for anyone who, like me, will be trying to persuade some of their less hardcore-DG comrades to give this live broadcast a gander, it might be wise not to hype it up TOO much... keep in mind, this will be first time this exact feat is attempted, and someone who is accustomed to watching TV shows on their computer or ball golf on TV (both of which are produced with MUCH bigger budgets than the PDGA is packing) may have very high expectations as far as picture quality, bandwidth/speed, camera angles, etc. which this groundbreaking event may not be able to live up to. The best approach might be similar to: "Hey, disc golf is finally getting something mainstream-ish, and I'm really excited about this! Would you mind supporting me and my grassroots sport by creating a free account and tuning in when you have some spare time?" Sponsors are very interested to see just how large a demographic programming like this appeals to, so we definitely want the numbers at large, but we also don't want people going in harboring expectations like "the picture is going to be crystal clear full screen and there won't be any bugs or delays or anything!" Of course the PDGA may totally knock this out of the park and everything will run 100% smooth and we'll all have our socks wowed off. But just in case, let's not set the bar too high... that way we can still clear it by A LOT!!

Oh man I can't wait for USDGC!
      anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
        let's not set the bar too high... that way we can still clear it by A LOT!!
        Great point killa. Under-promise and over-deliver...a great plan, especially when building new relationships.

Comment

I will continue to encourage people to donate $10 to this cause... if only 10k disc golfers across america put up 10 bucks, that's ummm 100,000! We have to invest before we can expect ROI in the mainstream...

Comment

The technical side of the broadcast should be under control from the company that actually does these online broadcasts regularly. The PDGA is mainly responsible for providing the content. So as long as the content from the event and interviews is there, it's my understanding the company putting it on the Internet (IPTV) has the bandwidth to handle the demand. We'll soon see.

Comment

sexton and valerie jenkins on the same card?! Dang I am watching that, 10am!

Comment

15 minutes into the broadcast and it looks like the server crashed already.

Comment

Down goes the broadcast

DOWN GOES THE BROADCAST sheesh....

i turn it on and get to watch the cameras bounce around for about 30 seconds then see some Asian player throw hole #1 then it shuts down.......

SIGH

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
                    DOWN GOES THE BROADCAST sheesh....

i turn it on and get to watch the cameras bounce around for about 30 seconds then see some Asian player throw hole #1 then it shuts down.......

SIGH

That sucks...I'm still watching at work...Go Clear network

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                      The technical side of the broadcast should be under control from the company that actually does these online broadcasts regularly. The PDGA is mainly responsible for providing the content. So as long as the content from the event and interviews is there, it's my understanding the company putting it on the Internet (IPTV) has the bandwidth to handle the demand. We'll soon see.

well i guess that the DISC community is a lot F-ing bigger than they expected.....

Comment

no way are you still watching the usdgc, the server crashed for sure, gosh they should have been running quads and backups to make sure they could handle the load... arghhhhhhhh i had it all set up to watch the whole thing on my 4th monitor at work dammmmmm...

Comment

it was also my understanding that those who donated would have more elite access to this live feed.... bah...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Madrid View Post
                            That sucks...I'm still watching at work...Go Clear network

prob....my P.O.S. 5 yr old Comp.

any1 got any old towers hanging around with more than a 2.8 and 80G HD they wanna trade for a disc or 2.......

Comment

I suspect Homeland Security doesn't want this seen.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X