Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Dr. Disc Golf

Dear Dr. Disc Golf

I find myself in a bit of depression lately and I don't know what to do. Getting better is a good thing, right? I have been playing for 2 1/2 years now and getting better all the time. I think! I hear it at every tournament, every casual round, I feel it when I'm out practicing. Ask the guys on my card at Tuesday Two's, Lunchtime League, GNO, UVC, Eugene Celebration. "Great pull, Bob", "Wow, you have soooooo much more distance than you did last year", "Good snap", "Perfect shot selection", on and on and on. I have to agree, I have stepped up my game. A year ago, I threw short, straight, fade to the left drives, and that was my game. I now have another 50 ft. on my drive and am throwing hyzers, anhyzers, thumbers, short forehand flicks. I am sooooooooo much better! Last year I resigned myself to the fact that I was BOB. I waited my turn on the box as the last thrower. This year, I still find myself there but not ALWAYS. I move up in the order, sometimes taking the pad. Woohoooo! I AM getting better! Right?

So, why am I depressed? My scores are going UP, my PDGA rating going DOWN.

What do I do? Is there hope? Have others experienced the same?

Signed:
    Depressed in Milwaukie

keep on keepin' on Bob!
    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Don't look at the ratings. You are learning new shots and probably going for shots you wouldn't have last year. As your range of throws grows, so will your scores for a time.
      Then- they shall fall and your rating increase.
      My only concern... you're practicing all those new shots- are you keeping up on your putting practice?
      Oh, that and I hope you've figured out a way to stop aging. I don't think that helps.

Comment

Ah, tournament play....

I'll tell you how it was for me and we will see if it is the same for you. I have always practiced quite a bit. Casual rounds and field work and time with my basket. In these conditions, I have great confidence almost to the point of knowing putts are going in before I arrive at my mark.

And then there were tournaments. I would get up to a 15-20 foot putt and it looks a mile away. I would think about too much - like the mechanics of my drive and would often throw a number of drives into the ground trying to put too much power on them. Upshots were often called "adventures" and the time after the two minutes sounded and time for tee, it was empty the bladder even though it is already empty.

And then I read a book that helped me to focus when I needed to focus and relax when I needed to relax. Honestly, I don't think that the exact book mattered as I think that there are a number of well-written books on sports psychology. But what reading the book did for me was to get me to think about the when/where/why of my game. I realized that I was getting in my own way and all of the practice I had done might as well have been for nothing as I was thinking myself right out of my confidence and into some weird scary place.

This still comes back (Saturday in a BIG way) but the times when I feel the nerves are fewer and fewer and I have come by the ability of looking at it for what it is and overcoming it. Most of the time.

I have that book for you, Bob, should you wish to read it.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Ah, tournament play....

I'll tell you how it was for me and we will see if it is the same for you. I have always practiced quite a bit. Casual rounds and field work and time with my basket. In these conditions, I have great confidence almost to the point of knowing putts are going in before I arrive at my mark.

And then there were tournaments. I would get up to a 15-20 foot putt and it looks a mile away. I would think about too much - like the mechanics of my drive and would often throw a number of drives into the ground trying to put too much power on them. Upshots were often called "adventures" and the time after the two minutes sounded and time for tee, it was empty the bladder even though it is already empty.

And then I read a book that helped me to focus when I needed to focus and relax when I needed to relax. Honestly, I don't think that the exact book mattered as I think that there are a number of well-written books on sports psychology. But what reading the book did for me was to get me to think about the when/where/why of my game. I realized that I was getting in my own way and all of the practice I had done might as well have been for nothing as I was thinking myself right out of my confidence and into some weird scary place.

This still comes back (Saturday in a BIG way) but the times when I feel the nerves are fewer and fewer and I have come by the ability of looking at it for what it is and overcoming it. Most of the time.

I have that book for you, Bob, should you wish to read it.
          That's not the same book that Brian was always going on about, is it?

Seriously, didn't mean to steal the thread. Couldn't help myself.

Comment

Ummm... some players will sometimes stick to what they know and not experiment with other angles, discs, shot selections and so forth which will cause some plateau'ing. Keeping an open mind and experimenting with different grips, forms, shot selections and so forth will keep the game exciting and broaden your range of weapons to use on the course during tournaments... I have had the exact same putting grip since I started, but seem to have plateau'ed until recently i accepted a change in grip style and hence the win at Eugene based on putting. I know Kabza will agree to this as he played with me at BSF only 4 months ago and putting was on oposite sides of the spectrum for me. Point is, sometimes a change may be good. Also during my lesson with Sexton, he pointed out a few things that stuck in my mind when making throws or shot selections and were definitely an impact on my rounds at Eugene.
            Ratings will go up and down all the time, but your skills and consistency will improve as long as you keep adding weapons to your game. One thing I did during Eugene was slimmed down my bag before every round. I started Friday with this in my bag:
            star boss
            star excalibur - 1st run
            star excalibur
            star destroyer - 1st run
            star teerex-x
            star teerex
            star teerex - older version
            star wraith - beat
            special blend wraith
            star 12x wraith
            pro firebird
            champ valk
            champ sidewinder
            glow champ teebird
            champ eagle
            champ leopard
            star gator
            esp buzzz - abrahobama
            esp flx buzzz
            cryztal buzzz
            z buzzz
            jk avair
            kc avair

and by the 2nd round I had left in my bag was this...
            star boss
            star teerex
            star wraith - beat
            special blend wraith
            12x star wraith
            champ valk
            glow champ teebird
            star gator
            esp buzzz - abrahobama
            exp flx buzzz
            z buzzz
            jk avair
            kc avair

so went from 23 discs on friday to 13 discs 2nd round saturday. Part of the game is getting to know your discs and becoming more versitable with them and knowing how they will be used during the rounds at each specific course.
            Hope everyone else chimes in their thoughts on this... great new thread bob!

Comment

So, this disc golfer had just had a miserable round and was sitting at the 19th hole, hanging his head, considering suicide. He reaches for another snort of medicine and knocks over and breaks his glass. "That's about it now," he thinks, and he takes a shard from the glass and slices both of his wrists.

Just then three of his hukkin' buddies walk in and spot him. "Hey Bob, we were just thinkin' about a round in the morning. Want to fill out our foursome?"

Bob slams his two bleeding cuts together, pressing them shut. "What time?" he excitedly inquires.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

I don't think the Bible covered sports psychology. Thinking about it, though... if it had, the lions might not have always been the victors in early Roman... uh... sports.
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                  Dear Dr. Disc Golf

"Great pull, Bob", "Wow, you have soooooo much more distance than you did last year", "Good snap", "Perfect shot selection", on and on and on. :
                  Tell the people in your group to SHUT UP. This should fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    I don't think the Bible covered sports psychology. Thinking about it, though... if it had, the lions might not have always been the victors in early Roman... uh... sports.
                    (Currently laughing out loud).

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Got to love it when the Mods themselves hijack a thread.

Bob

Comment

This year I have added fifty feet and more accuracy to my drives, midrange game has gotten better and thirty foot putts are getting to be some what easy for me. It first started with me getting more serous about my game, before I was just a casual player out for a walk to get my excercise but this year I have starting practing, not just playing rounds. I took a couple lessons with Chris Waugh and my game is better than ever but before it got so good I got really really bad. After my lesson with Chris the little bit of game I had was failing on me and I was questioning whether or not I could ever get better. Well about two weeks of practicing the things Chris taught me I was about fed up when all of a sudden everything just clicked for me and amazingly it happend to me in about two days. I remember I played a game on a friday and shot a 15 over or something horrible in that range and by the next week at the same course I was shooting four and five over. Anyway, what I'm saying is that just before you get better you get worse but just stick to it. You are going to get frustrated to no end trust me I know. Keep hitting the field and practice. I guarantee that you are probably getting to the next step in your game, hope this helps.
                        Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Next time you are out try to slow down. Slow your stride and take in the sights and sounds around you. I haven't playedmany tourneys this year and when I did I hadn't played as well as I know I am capable. Reflecting on why I havecome to believe it is because my expectations were too high and my self emposed preasure was too much. Sincemy last tourney I have tried to slowdown and make my only goalto have fun. I still want to shoot well and stay focussed but I don't make myself worry about it because if I miss a shot there is still another. Take time to have fun and remember why you started playing. I know you will get overthis soon because the game is awesome and too much fun to worry about. I wish you the best of luck. Enjoy.
                          Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I would prescribe a disc golf vacation that would include courses that are new to you... perhaps go play some mountain golf and enjoy the beautiful scenery... the 'Icredibowl' is this coming weekend.

I would also recommend getting a hole-in-one...
                            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                              I would prescribe a disc golf vacation that would include courses that are new to you... perhaps go play some mountain golf and enjoy the beautiful scenery... the 'Icredibowl' is this coming weekend.

I would also recommend getting a hole-in-one...
                              This 58 year old body don't do mountain golf to well.

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X