Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally agree on practice practice practice (open field for drives and also upshots) and mixing it up with courses (recently improved my game greatly!). I would stress the importance of putting practice, I feel that a half hour EVERY DAY with the basket improves my balance and focus and thus affects all aspects of my game.

Something that really improved my game, that was way more fun than practice, was when I started playing with golfers who were quite a bit better than me. I learned threw their example, they were really supportive and encouraging and helped me believe I, too, could throw that far and also just threw osmosis or something I absorbed technique and skill.
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Don't throw FAST plastic.....LEOPARDS, TEEBIRDS, EAGLES, FIREBIRDS (Firebirds if you have good snap). Learn how to throw these discs flat with control 200-300 ft. Everything else will come eventually from this technique.

I just threw all the Fast Plastic out of my bag and have appreciated my scores being lower.

Yes, The Boss and Dextroyer do fly a MILE. Sometimes tho they go a ---LONG WAY---THE WRONG WAY!!!!

LEOPARDS ARE THE BEST DISC FOR ANY PLAYER TO LEARN CONTROL WITH>!! Just my humble 14 years of experience..... GOOD LUCK
      Disc Golf Accessories

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
        Go out and practice what you read. Then reread and practice some more. Rinse, repeat.
        You forgot to lather..

Comment

Lots of good advice in here, thanks! I have plenty to think about and work on at this point (holy moly @ the level of detail in that link!), but additional comments and advice are still welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by SomethingClever View Post
            What is the one thing you started doing that pushed you to the next level when you were starting out?
            Learn the power grip (all 4 fingers curled under the rim).
            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

one thing I have noticed in my progression is regression. It seems like every time I feel like my game is going south, I progress a little. We are stress learners for the most part. meaning we have to be under some level of stress before we can develop a higher skill. When all of a sudden you can't make 15 foot putts or you are spraying every shot, that is often followed by moments of greatness. stupid, but it seems to work that way.
              Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                one thing I have noticed in my progression is regression. It seems like every time I feel like my game is going south, I progress a little. We are stress learners for the most part. meaning we have to be under some level of stress before we can develop a higher skill. When all of a sudden you can't make 15 foot putts or you are spraying every shot, that is often followed by moments of greatness. stupid, but it seems to work that way.
                He's right!

Bob

Comment

That's why you guys always seem to be getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                    YES! I catch myself saying always, "Getting better f's with your game". somewhat different idea, but similar and definitely connected.
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      That's why you guys always seem to be getting better.
                      Hang in there Scott.......someday you too will get better. (I think)

Bob

Comment

50% of this game is half mental (or something like that).
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                          50% of this game is half mental (or something like that).
                          About that....

Pretty quickly after starting out, I established a personal record of +2 from the long tees at Lunchtime. I figured I'd drop that score on a weekly basis... but instead I went the other way. I couldn't break +5 for ages. I'd make one marginal throw and get frustrated, which would affect the next 3 or 4 throws.

Finally I threw another +2 and a weight was lifted. About a week after that I shot a +1 that could easily have been even par. Yesterday I shot an even par that could have easily been -2!

I was more relaxed... not "trying" as hard, and wouldn't you know, it led to my best score. I just calmly took a few extra seconds to consider each and every shot before throwing. Funny how that works.

Comment

Ya know, now that I think about it.... Oops, another mentaled putt.
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X