X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Golf and Parenting

I have a two and a half-year-old that loves to “play” disc golf. She has her own putter, which she picked out and has “decorated.” She love to thow her disc which she is getting really good at. Her "drive" is up to about 5 feet and she loves to "putt." Sometimes, we have to tell her if she doesn’t behave she can’t play disc golf with daddy. At this point I’m fairly sure is not the disc golf but the with daddy part that is making her behave. Is it wrong to use disc golf for behavior modification?
    Throw What You Know.
    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
    PDGA# 45989

I have a 6 month old, and she just loves to be outside, I am constantly putting mini marker discs in her hand and she has begun to throw them off to the side. I think you are doing just fine, its good to have rewards for positive behavior, I do think however that if my wife said she couldnt go golfing with me because she was bad, I would still probably take her with me anyways. So good for parenting, bad for marriage. Also teach your daughter a roller, that should add about 600% to her drive.
    Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlitosBonitos View Post
      Also teach your daughter a roller, that should add about 600% to her drive.
      If could do a roller my self it would probably do the same.
      Throw What You Know.
      PDGA# 45989

Comment

I have a 3 and a half year old who was born with a disc in his hand. He loves to go dg with daddy and repeatingly says so... On occasion when he misbehaving, can take that away from him and he will sober up.
        And yes, teach your kid rollers and sidearms, kids wont be able to do back hands with alot of torque for a while. Rollers and sidearms will get the distance for now. Discs should be in the 110-130g area as well..

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
          I have a two and a half-year-old that loves to “play” disc golf. She has her own putter, which she picked out and has “decorated.” She love to thow her disc which she is getting really good at. Her "drive" is up to about 5 feet and she loves to "putt." Sometimes, we have to tell her if she doesn’t behave she can’t play disc golf with daddy. At this point I’m fairly sure is not the disc golf but the with daddy part that is making her behave. Is it wrong to use disc golf for behavior modification?
          For right or wrong, witholding a "treat" is a very common method of behavior correction in parenting. You might withold TV or desert, so why not disc golf? It makes sense to threaten with whatever will draw the most attention.

Comment

You could give penalty strokes as a punishment.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Positive reinforcement is rewarding your child after she does something good. It is a consequence when she gets to do something and then it is taken away for exhibiting negative behavior. I always think its funny when a parent threatens a child with bedtime if he/she is misbehaving. Easier said than done, though.

Comment

Originally posted by black mamba View Post
                I always think its funny when a parent threatens a child with bedtime if he/she is misbehaving. Easier said than done, though.
                That's what were have the problem with.
                Throw What You Know.
                PDGA# 45989

Comment

I'll chime in on this, I have alot of parents of Deaf children asking me how to approach their child in situations like this... the best thing, communicate, get down to their level, find out why they are acting in the way they are acting and find out what will improve their behavior, maybe it's something they want or need but are not expressing themselves in the way that you can understand. Those parents who are more patient and get down to the children's level are more successful down the road in communicating with their child. Those parents who choose the quick way with immediate timeouts, threats, and obvious signals of impatience *yelling at the child first, talking second* will continue to struggle to understand their child... Often times through conversation, you will find out what the child is thinking, sometimes even surprised they are thinking so advanced.. My son often surprises me everyday with new words or concepts I did not know he knew or understood, but I would not find these out if I didn't take the time and have patience to find out what he is trying to express...

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post

I work in Early Head Start and I could go on and on and on and on...but I will try to keep this concise...one of the most important things that we are taught as teachers for positive guidance is that your consequences must make sense. If the behavior is safety oriented then it could make sense that you lose your disc golf priviledges because you must be safe with the discs and show that you are responsible and can listen. We try very hard to make sure our discipline is never arbitrary and always makes sense...this is especially important with infants/toddlers (0-36 months)...in our program we do not use any punishment techniques (time out for example) it is all positive child guidance and prosocial modeling and discussion and redirection...I just looked at the clock and realized my break is over, too bad because I'm not sure I made my point as clearly as I wanted to. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

peace threw disc golf,
                    emmarose
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Then I resubmit the idea of giving penalty strokes. Talk about relevant. Someday they're going to have to grow up and see how the real PDGA works. (Place Smiley Here.)

Comment

That is a great idea! Wow this site has it all! Disc golf talk, arguing, and parenting tips! But the penalty stroke idea is a good one.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

Comment

I doubt the little ones will really understand the scoring system we use and how penalty strokes will appy for another couple years... Maybe when they are 6 or 7 then we can try that... My boy probably just say, "Daddy, you the only one counting..." and huk another disc...

Comment

Are you still beating your kid (on the course)? (Place Smiley Here.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                              Are you still beating your kid (on the course)? (Place Smiley Here.)
                              You saw him at lucky mudd, beat you didn't he?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X