Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think people are throwing out assumptions a little to quickly.

Yes this person MIGHT be the guy that pulled discs out of the pond, but we dont know that for a fact. the guy that pulled discs out of the pond is supposdly living in elma, not olympia.

This could be somebody that just has alot of discs laying around for a while, like most of us disc golfers. i think it is wrong to start jumping on this person without having solid evidence that the discs in the picture are actually discs that came out of the pond.

after looking at the picture for a while i cant positively identify any of the discs to be ones that i know were lost in the pond, so why do you want to hang the guy without actually looking at the discs.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Obviously, this person is not a golfer.

Read the ad, it smells fishy to me- just the way I imagine the odors emanating from the person who snorkel-stole them out of the pond must smell. I've never heard someone refer to a golf disc as a clunker. Anyone who has thrown enough to own this many discs knows that Discraft is one word, and would be able/willing to provide more info as to which discs they are selling.

Plus, they inform you that at the price they are asking the discs can all be resold for more profit. Sound like a disc golfer to you?

I can see a few custom dyes in there as well, and I bet you guys down there know who they belong to.

Edit: Unless, of course, you are the one selling the discs, Orion. I doubt that, though. I've seen you spell Discraft correctly about a billion times already!
      The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
        Obviously, this person is not a golfer.

Read the ad, it smells fishy to me- just the way I imagine the odors emanating from the person who snorkel-stole them out of the pond must smell. I've never heard someone refer to a golf disc as a clunker. Anyone who has thrown enough to own this many discs knows that Discraft is one word, and would be able/willing to provide more info as to which discs they are selling.

Plus, they inform you that at the price they are asking the discs can all be resold for more profit. Sound like a disc golfer to you?

I can see a few custom dyes in there as well, and I bet you guys down there know who they belong to.

Edit: Unless, of course, you are the one selling the discs, Orion. I doubt that, though. I've seen you spell Discraft correctly about a billion times already!
        No its not me, i would be selling them for 5 dollars a piece at least!

on a serious note, i also feel the same way you do, but i have reservations about coming to any conclusions before i know the facts of the matter at hand. if this person is guilty of what is being charged, then they need to have some sort of consequences dealt. if not then whatever.

i also noticed the dyed discs in there, and one of them might be one that i did for a guy down here, but cant tell from the picture. but you know how many people get discs dyed, so this person might just have some discs that have been dyed for him in the past.

As far as i am aware though, it is not a crime to fish out things from the pond unless the city of olympia says so. it is not a crime to not call peoples phone numbers on the back of the discs. it might not be the right thing to do, but it is not a crime. so basically this person is not doing anything illegaly. if a disc isnt reported stolen then a person isnt legally obligated to return it unless the person that owns the discs specifically asks for it back from the person that found it.
        Team Meteor

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
          so basically this person is not doing anything illegaly. if a disc isnt reported stolen then a person isnt legally obligated to return it unless the person that owns the discs specifically asks for it back from the person that found it.
          I'm not too sure if that is correct. I remember a thread I started on ODSA about this exact subject, and my opinion was radically redirected as to ownership rights. We even contacted the police, and the verdict was Theft.

The police dept swithboard operators would have one hell of a time keeping up with all the lost disc calls if we were required to report them to attain legal recourse.
          The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

It may be that the person was pulling them out of the pond, but it may also be that they didn't know there was anything wrong with that. Kids pull golf balls out of ponds all the time and sell them cheaply to golfers and nobody raises a stink about it (other than the mud from the bottom).

Even if the person knows the etiquette of disc golf, and the disc retrieving/reselling is illegal, I highly doubt the PD is going to give it more thought than a chuckle at the water cooler.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

One way to make sure of that the person knows that the disk was not abandoned is to put the phrase "This disk was lost. If found please call..." Discs are not considered "High Value" items and yes the PD would have a heck of time keeping track of lost discs. However I have found that when my discs were returned to me after being the water for two weeks my name an number were almost gone and I wrote my name on them with a sharpie. I believe if this person if trying to sell found discs and has not done the diligence of contacting the owner of the disc or has removed the owners name from the back of a disc that is stealing. If they are his, then let him sell them.
              Throw What You Know.
              "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
              PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                One way to make sure of that the person knows that the disk was not abandoned is to put the phrase "This disk was lost. If found please call..."
                I get ribbed about it all of the time, but every single one of my discs say "please call if found" on the inside rim next to my number. I figure that way nobody can claim that they thought I wouldn't want it back. On one occasion a guy actually said to me, "I wasn't going to call but it said 'Please Call' so I figured you must really want it back".

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  I get ribbed about it all of the time, but every single one of my discs say "please call if found" on the inside rim next to my number. I figure that way nobody can claim that they thought I wouldn't want it back. On one occasion a guy actually said to me, "I wasn't going to call but it said 'Please Call' so I figured you must really want it back".
                  It really works if the person is honest. I know people in my area who havent makred thier discs and the will probly never see them again. I even know someone who found a Star Firebird that didnt have even a remote hint of a name or number on it. I asked around but no one seems to know whos it is. You would think a person buying star plastic would at least write thier name on it.
                  Throw What You Know.
                  PDGA# 45989

Comment

I don't write my name on a disc right away, I usually throw it quite a few times to make sure its mine.
                    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I got one out of our pond that was a guy's in Mississippi. I called and he said to keep it. Any identifier, such as contact info, is an attempt to maintain ownership. To ignore it is to be a thief.
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I called Canada last night. The person who answered had the same phone number {that was clearly marked on the lost disc} for 15 years. No disc golfer here aye! She was so nice, I just love them canucks!
                        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                          She was so nice, I just love them canucks!
                          My Wife was a sub-contractor for a Canadian utility company. I bet she would beg to differ.
                          Throw What You Know.
                          PDGA# 45989

Comment

Death to Canada!
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                              I don't write my name on a disc right away, I usually throw it quite a few times to make sure its mine.
                              Yeah, me too. Sometimes I sell 'em or trade 'em away immediately, because it's clearly not a disc I want or need.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

ok so back to the topic, has anybody heard back from the person selling these discs yet?
                                Team Meteor

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X