Any Oregonians have some spare floor or yard space for a couple travelers? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've got a really nice yard (with baskets) in downtown eugene if you need a place to post a tent.
    May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

Posting from the friendly neighborhood KOA in Corvallis, strange that they have wireless internet here. Good times so far, if a little on the damp side. Played a fun, if tough round with Eric O and his brother Dan, got to see a sick first ace on Horning's hole 14 (canyon course), and had a kick ass steak dinner with Sam and Jamie. We played a grueling wet round at Hagg this morning, and drier rounds at Ewing, Hoover, and Champoeg, good times all around. Chuck and I both wish we could have Ewing in our back yard, great little layout, plus awesome safari opportunities. The weather is looking better, and the courses are looking bigger, can't wait to see them!

Fun side note, Chuck just fell off the picnic table, unprovoked. Yay Dickel!
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Don't I remember you taking a nice graceful flight off our fifth tee once? Be careful, ya'hear?
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

post here or email me at sodrifter@yahoo.com if your gonna be at whistlers. me and the discgolforegon.com boys will shoot the home course with ya.

Comment

Tim, we really enjoyed having you guys over that night and would extend the same invitation any time. Hope you have enjoyed the rest of your trip.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Whew, back to the grind after a long week of disc golf. I want to thank all the people that showed us such fine hospitality, as mentioned already, Eric O. and his brother Dan, Sam and Jamie for a fine dinner, and also Nate S. for showing us around Adair (and not laughing at our shots too much), and Andrew R. for putting us up at his place, and giving us a guided tour of Dexter (and also not laughing at our shots too much).

All in all, I've gotta give it to Oregon--you guys have some GREAT courses. A quick list of the courses we hit, in chronological order: Trojan, Pier, Horning's, Hagg, Ewing, Hoover, Champoeg, Willamette, Adair, Bryant, Dexter, Whistler's, Waterloo, Milo, and Dabney. Out of all the courses, Whistler's was unsurprisingly the highlight. That place is just gorgeous, and a fun course to boot. Dexter was also a highlight, lots of good golf shots there, and plenty of risk/reward options, and also in a beautiful setting of it's own. Really, all the courses were enjoyable, but those two really stood out.

The only disappointments for the trip for me were Hagg and Milo. I may have liked Hagg better if the skies hadn't dumped on us for the first half of the round, but I still don't think I would have liked it THAT much. It's a beautiful setting for a course, but all those open field holes didn't do anything for me--they were more a test of will than an enjoyable time throwing a disc. The woods holes were tough, but they were at least interesting. As Sam told us at dinner, it's a course with a lot of potential, but IMO, not worth the $5 entry fee, especially with Horning's only being $3 for much better courses.

And Milo, how could I possibly be disappointed with Milo? Well, first of all, 3 of the holes were closed due to a LARPing event (don't f*** with the Kingdom of Blackspire.) That was unfortunate, but not a deal breaker. The real disappointment was that most of the pins were in their short positions, many that I'd never seen before. While still big and beautiful, the holes seemed so much more boring to me in their shorter positions--especially holes 9 and 26, normally 2 of my favorite holes on the course but just kinda "meh" in their current layout. Don't get me wrong, Milo is still a great course, but arriving to find the pins in the shorts is a bit like going to an amusement park and finding out a couple of your favorite rides are shut down.

All in all, a great trip. The unexpected downside from all this though, is that I now have almost no enthusiasm to play my local area courses. Thanks again Oregon! And Washington...we have a lot of work to do.

Comment

And Washington...we have a lot of work to do.
                Shakin' the bush, boss, shakin' the bush.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I find myself wistfully imagining my OWN disc golf vacation...so many courses, so much golf...sounds like you truly had an incredible time...too bad you were disappointed with Milo, but you know, us girly arms appreciate the short pin placement...and don't you think we deserve to enjoy the courses as well? Just trying to assuage your dissapointment a little bit by putting you in my shoes...
                  peace threw disc golf,
                  emmarose
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Hahaha, well, I'm no big arm myself. Some of the pin placements didn't make that big of a difference, but like 26 (the "stump hole"), not having the basket on the stump just seems wrong. It was OK for me, but I wish Chuck could have seen Milo in it's full grandeur for his first time visiting it.

And don't worry Bob, the Mud is still very much in my favorite all time courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Hahaha, well, I'm no big arm myself. Some of the pin placements didn't make that big of a difference, but like 26 (the "stump hole"), not having the basket on the stump just seems wrong. It was OK for me, but I wish Chuck could have seen Milo in it's full grandeur for his first time visiting it.

And don't worry Bob, the Mud is still very much in my favorite all time courses.

okay...you got me on that one...if it's called the stump hole, then the short pin placement should be on a stump also...
                      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Particular thanks to Andrew for putting us up (putting up with us?) for the night. That was the Reset button that kept our trip hopping.

Sam, that steak dinner was another highlight, as well as learning that you're a prog rock fan. 70's Crimson FTW!!

Here's a few personal notes on the courses I had never played:

Dexter- my favorite golf played on the trip. I liked very much the multiple reprises of the open holes, only to be shoved back in the shule again and again. My only complaint was that 18 needs some more spice, like an elevated pin placement. We played this course twice because we simply had to.

Whistler's- I wish I lived there. Hole 9 is one of the coolest in golf. This course made excellent use of elevation changes, made for lots of interesting tee shots.

Ewing Young- I could spend all day here making up safari holes, but the course design was good enough to play normally. What a fun little corner of a park. I'm glad the designer kept it to 12 normal length holes, instead of going for a full eighteen of dinker-links.

Dabney- as dangerous as Sam says. I liked many of the holes, but the zipping of champ wraiths every which way was unsettling.

Bryant- masochistic. Hard just for the sake of being hard. Nice park, though.

Hagg- sorry Trozzle!!!, but Hagg sucked. The woodsy holes were fun like they should be, but the other half of the course looks like it was designed by a very bored person. I'd rather play Ewing with 5 bucks worth of beer.

Horning's- nothing but good vibes while playing this course. The short one is perfect for the families of disc golfers, or for taking a nice break of a round using only your putter. The canyon course is well-varied with a lot of challenging, fun holes. I almost 3'd hole 13 each time, but poor putting killed me.

Milo- Tim wrote some stuff about Milo. Perhaps we should have accepted the LARPer's pancake hospitality.

Notable: Hoover was fun. Ace runs all day! Willamette needs some hills. Didn't get to scrutinize Adair too much, I was too busy drooling over Nate's skyrollers and Roc skills. Champoeg was repetitive, but good for what it has to work with. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff. Oh yeah, the tee pads at Whistler's were the best. That diamond pattern makes for great traction. I think there were some at Milo as well...
                        The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

I went on a similiar 5 day grind down in oregon and went to lava launch at the end of the week. Horning's is a great course with some fun shots. and for being a wooded course, i shot surprizingly well. Trojan is now in my top 3 courses ive ever played. such a beautiful park and great golf shots with the water is fun. Milo is always great, im a big arm so i love going out there to the open fairways, but them being in the shorts was a let down. Still great but i would have liked to play the same layout i have before. Whistler's Bend is awesome and probably makes my top 5.

Id recommend a trip down to anyone, the sheer number of amazing courses in oregon makes it the perfect destination for a golf vacation.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X