X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    You always play advanced? Wasn't that you on my card in the Intermediate division at Wortman earlier this year? If so, which one was I: the douche or the flamer?
    Scott, I clearly stated I have only played one tournament this year (prior to the last round rating adjustments) and it was the morning after my sisters wedding, so I played Intermediate as I was still drunk, I also made a point to mention that not every intermediate player is either a douche or flamer, to avoid comments/ backlash like yours, so thanks for ignoring my post and deciding you would like to continue the endless chatter rather than discuss the actual point.
    Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlitosBonitos View Post
      Scott, I clearly stated I have only played one tournament this year (prior to the last round rating adjustments) and it was the morning after my sisters wedding, so I played Intermediate as I was still drunk, I also made a point to mention that not every intermediate player is either a douche or flamer, to avoid comments/ backlash like yours, so thanks for ignoring my post and deciding you would like to continue the endless chatter rather than discuss the actual point.
      Whoa. Kidding. Thought you would see that. Chill.

Comment

capped divisions vs not your division

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
        With out limiting the number of entries per division, there is no way to not have mixed cards. Unless of course every division just happens to be divisable by 4 or 5 depending on group size. I beleive the rules say you should "try" not to mix divisions, but sometimes you have to.
        Limited or capped divisions IMO are more fair than making/forcing someone to play in any division that they didn't sign up for.
        Yep, capped divisions are effective but highly controversial.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        - Anonymous

Comment

This thread is personally relevant to me since this weekend I will be playing in my first open division tournament (Lava Launch). It's anyone's guess whether or not I've "outgrown" the advanced division that I've recently been competing in. I don't even have an official rating yet. If I had to estimate -- and I'm told this is tricky to figure out -- I'd say I'm somewhere close to 970. I think the time is right to move up and here is my reasoning:

I've competed in four tournaments, half of which were more challenging Oregon Series events, and the rest were somewhat less challenging. I've placed in the top three each time, and some of those weekends I was just "off". I figure I should no longer compete in a division where I EXPECT to take 1st, or finish top 3 even if I screw up. Now that I do expect those kinds of results, it seems unfair. I need to have my feet held to the fire and get beaten handily when I can't make 15 foot putts. Having said that, I have had a total blast starting out with players who could definitely still teach me things. If I went straight to Pro for my first tournament (if that is even allowed), I would have been a travesty! Not only would I have been way too nervous, but I didn't really know the rules as much as one should. There are many things a disc golfer has to know before competing at the top level besides just throwing a disc far, accurately, etc. Fortunately, I think I've moved at the right pace, and I'm thankful that most people that I've played with so far have been awesome in every way. Fun, supportive, challenging... the list goes on.

I have compared my tournament scores with those of the Open Division and I'm usually placing about middle of the pack which I guess from a statistical point of view is "fair", though maybe not as exciting. I fully expect to be humbled this weekend, and I'm actually really looking forward to it. We'll see how my attitude changes over time.

Anyone who is concerned about the balance of cost vs. return is perfectly justified. Some disc golfers don't make a lot of money off the course (gasp!) My decision to move up was made all too simple when Next Adventure decided to sponsor me. Now that my disc golf costs are covered, it's a simple matter of worrying about my performance and progression, not just breaking even financially. I suppose that makes me very lucky...and I know it! Thanks Next Adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            Whoa. Kidding. Thought you would see that. Chill.
            I'll answer your question.. You are the Douche Bag...

Comment

I suppose that makes me very lucky...and I know it! Thanks Next Adventure![/QUOTE]

Tru dat! Good luck out there and you most certainly have the skills to play with the big dogs. Go get em'! Don't be surprised if you perform well. Athletes excel at this game for sure.
              The Pro cards in Oregon are crazy deep with talent. I would love to see an interstate challenge soon.
              Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by blang11 View Post
                This thread is personally relevant to me since this weekend I will be playing in my first open division tournament (Lava Launch). It's anyone's guess whether or not I've "outgrown" the advanced division that I've recently been competing in. I don't even have an official rating yet. If I had to estimate -- and I'm told this is tricky to figure out -- I'd say I'm somewhere close to 970. I think the time is right to move up and here is my reasoning:

I've competed in four tournaments, half of which were more challenging Oregon Series events, and the rest were somewhat less challenging. I've placed in the top three each time, and some of those weekends I was just "off". I figure I should no longer compete in a division where I EXPECT to take 1st, or finish top 3 even if I screw up. Now that I do expect those kinds of results, it seems unfair. I need to have my feet held to the fire and get beaten handily when I can't make 15 foot putts. Having said that, I have had a total blast starting out with players who could definitely still teach me things. If I went straight to Pro for my first tournament (if that is even allowed), I would have been a travesty! Not only would I have been way too nervous, but I didn't really know the rules as much as one should. There are many things a disc golfer has to know before competing at the top level besides just throwing a disc far, accurately, etc. Fortunately, I think I've moved at the right pace, and I'm thankful that most people that I've played with so far have been awesome in every way. Fun, supportive, challenging... the list goes on.

I have compared my tournament scores with those of the Open Division and I'm usually placing about middle of the pack which I guess from a statistical point of view is "fair", though maybe not as exciting. I fully expect to be humbled this weekend, and I'm actually really looking forward to it. We'll see how my attitude changes over time.

Anyone who is concerned about the balance of cost vs. return is perfectly justified. Some disc golfers don't make a lot of money off the course (gasp!) My decision to move up was made all too simple when Next Adventure decided to sponsor me. Now that my disc golf costs are covered, it's a simple matter of worrying about my performance and progression, not just breaking even financially. I suppose that makes me very lucky...and I know it! Thanks Next Adventure!
                Brice, I understand that you want to move up and see how you play with stiffer competition but just remember you do not have to accept cash if you finish in the prize, you can accept scrip instead and maintain your amateur status. If indeed you are ranked above 970 you will not be able to return to the amateur ranks if you accept cash. Also if you have ever thought about contending for a Amateur world title you will not be able to do so. I am not trying to scare you into staying Am status just want you to know what your options are and the outcome of some of your choices. Good luck at the Lava Launch and don't forget to ask if you are unsure!
                PDGA #25296
                Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                  Brice, I understand that you want to move up and see how you play with stiffer competition but just remember you do not have to accept cash if you finish in the prize, you can accept scrip instead and maintain your amateur status. If indeed you are ranked above 970 you will not be able to return to the amateur ranks if you accept cash. Also if you have ever thought about contending for a Amateur world title you will not be able to do so. I am not trying to scare you into staying Am status just want you to know what your options are and the outcome of some of your choices. Good luck at the Lava Launch and don't forget to ask if you are unsure!
                  While this thread's argument CAN be applied to moving up from AM to PRO, I am mostly talking about picking the right AM division to play in based on your abilities and rate of improvement.
                  Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Accept the cash, Brice!!! It's been fun playing with you but it's time for you to go!

Seriously, though... tear it up, man. It's been a pleasure to see you burst onto the scene and rock the Advanced division but I definitely feel that you are a pro-caliber player. Have fun and do not worry about the nerves. Those happen to the best of pros and will ebb with time.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Haha, yeah I feel you on that one, Sam! You have been really good to me as far as being supportive and friendly, and we all know now that my Am time is over...and rightfully so! I had an absolute blast at the Lava Launch competing against other open players. Special thanks to Mike Suchocki, and Andy Hock who, perhaps unknowingly, served as guides for me during my first pro outing. After this weekend, I am very happy about my decision to move up and continue challenging myself.

As for declining cash to qualify for Am Worlds, I did give it a lot of thought, but in the end I decided to take the money and make my transition official. I sought the advice of many pro players who said the payoff for a national title in AM isn't all that great, and to decline a whole year's worth of cash is not that enticing of an idea, especially considering that anything can happen during worlds: shitty play, injury, etc. Then how would I feel after sacrificing for so long?

Ultimately, I am extremely fortunate to have the support of Next Adventure for investing in me personally, and the disc golf community at large. Without them, I would have had a much tougher dilemma making all of these decisions. I'm on the gravy boat!

P.S. Check out Next Adventure's facebook page to see the video I uploaded of Nate Sexton "pure-ing" a Roc down the Cinder Cone hole on Mt. Bachelor from this weekend's Lava Launch. Epic!

Comment

Yes, you are very correct sir. Injury can ruin a whole year of declining cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Phillips View Post
                          Yes, you are very correct sir. Injury can ruin a whole year of declining cash.
                          A year? I thought you declined for about 3 years, but hey... who's counting
                          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X