X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
    I'm really confused here! I just went and looked at players list and SAM is still playing Advanced. Sam, if you have any interest in getting better, MOVE UP!

Bob
    Sam is relying on "natural progression" to get him to Open someday, so let it "naturally happen"... If you ask me, I think he's peaked... His other half will soon overtake him...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
      Uhhh, I've played a few rounds with all2common, there seems to be a something he left out on that testimony.... he failed to mention that the reason his rating was going down, was that he just sucked; flat out sucked
      Just kidding there... I believe there is a certain concept that is behind playing up. Some of us are playing up one division and claiming that osmosis works, which is true most of the time... however I believe this conversation started from the concept of playing 2-3 divisions up, not one, so hence the testimony given recently only applies to those who play up one division, not two...
      The reason I haven't played up in ADV most of this year is the simple fact that I keep playing in tournaments at courses that I have little to zero experience at..
      And I kinda hoped to play the short layout twice at Dexter, which I have never been able to play half the holes in their shorter pin placements, which I believe MA2 to play twice, I hope...
      Sorry Buddy you will be playing with the Pro's most likely and that means you will play their layout.
      PDGA #25296
      Stumptown #34

Comment

As a competitive Advanced player, I moved up to Pro for a few tourneys over the past year and had very poor results... I was putting extra pressure on myself to play well, which contributed to my poor play. I realized that I would eventually become more comfortable through tournament experience, while learning from those with more experience, natural ability, and skill than I-- but it was very discouraging to know that I'd be donating most of the time.

For me, there were several reasons that compelled me to continue playing advanced:
        It costs less for me to play Advanced than Open...
        I like t-shirts and CFR discs...
        I lack consistency, a side-arm, and index fingers(ok, just seeing if you're still with me)
        I have a chance to win, not an 'outside chance' to cash...
        I can still compete against players that are as good or better... just not exponentially better.
        If I wanted to sponsor Nate Sexton, I'd just write him a check...
        Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; August 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM.
        Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I have CRUSHED my personal best at every course I have played this year.
          I attribute that mostly to:

TEAM DISC GOLF! Playing in the winter teaches you to slow down and manage the course. I also played matches with and against some of the best players in the state!

VAPOR TRAILS! My teammates have been there year round to practice and compete against each other pushing each other to improve our game. One in particular who happens to be one of the best in Oregon!

I still have a lot of work to do, see this past weekend:

43 845
          40 863

But I would say that

34 986
          Is a little above my 901 rating

I would say you're both right.
          Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
          Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Or

or just pay for a 1:1 lesson...
            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I am one of the people that moved up before my rating says i should. i have never regretted it for a second! my rating is 905 and i play in the open division. i am always in the bottom 10 players, usually closer to last place, but it is totally worth it for me!

Throughout my rounds in tournaments i am learning how the "pros" play. i learn the different lines they take and decisions that they make. It also forces me to take my game more seriously during the tournament. I have improved greatly so far, and am still gaining consistency and more skills.

one other thing that i really like about playing with the pros is that they are just better people to play with. they are not so uptight and nervous during the tournament like the lower division players. it is just seems more relaxed and more fun playing with the pro groups. and they are taking the tournament seriously, which is what i am looking for.

on a side note, i look at it like lessons. i pay 80-100 dollars to play, and if i do end up in last place i think to myself "at least i learned some stuff and i got to fatten the payout for the pros. and i learn how to play better.

People should be able to play up if they want to, who cares if a 880 rated player wants to play in the open division, they learn faster and fatten the pro payout. if you want to stay in Ma2 division until your 40, go right ahead but some of us have higher asperations than just playing in a division because your rating is high enough.
              Team HOSER:dancing:
              Team OLY:cheerleader:
              Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                Uhhh, I've played a few rounds with all2common, there seems to be a something he left out on that testimony.... he failed to mention that the reason his rating was going down, was that he just sucked; flat out sucked
                Now there's an example of osmosis.
                Last edited by all2common; August 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to add, "Ohhhhh, SNAP!"
                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                  one other thing that i really like about playing with the pros is that they are just better people to play with.
                  Wow... you haven't played with some of our pros down here, have you?
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I find that playing with people with longer drives than mine hasn't lengthened my drive one bit. Pretty disappointing. At least mine do go as far into the rough as theirs.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      Wow... you haven't played with some of our pros down here, have you?
                      a few, but not many. the ones that travel up here to washington have all been great players and had good sportsmanship. the most i played with was at BSF and all was good there to.
                      Team HOSER:dancing:
                      Team OLY:cheerleader:
                      Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                        the ones that travel up here to washington have all been great players and had good sportsmanship.
                        We only let our finest pros travel. The rest we keep locked away down here.

Comment

I thinks it's ironic that people play up divisions to play with better people, but when playing the bottom of that division end up getting placed on a mixed division card. Granted, you do possibly get to play one round with the top pros, but you still end up playing with players in your skill set or worse, whatever division they may be in. It seems to me that the bottom card of the top division isn't the place to learn how to compete! I see more competition in the lead card for intermediate than the bottom of the pro card. From what I've experienced, handling the "competition" is the way to get better!

I learn technique from practicing. I learn how to "WIN" from competing against people close to my level. I learn course management from knowing and playing course.

If you want to hang with the pros, follow in the gallery!
                          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
                            Now there's an example of osmosis.
                            LOL, oh burnnnnnn burnnnn, call the fire department, I've been burned! Well, Flash, I want to play the short layout... so waiting on pools etc, so I can better plan etc... and maybe beg to move to another division to match my schedule.. Since i am driving 10 hours bleh...

Comment

I believe the ratings guidelines were established to prevent people from sandbagging not the other way around. If you want to donate and are not having a negative impact on people in the division your playing with than go for it. Time will tell if it works.
                              Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                                I believe the ratings guidelines were established to prevent people from sandbagging not the other way around. If you want to donate and are not having a negative impact on people in the division your playing with than go for it. Time will tell if it works.
                                Actually, there is a negative impact. Each division becomes less competitive from top to bottom.

In the "Everyone plays by ratings" model, you have several smaller but equal sized divisions that are competitive from top to bottom. In other words, players near the bottim of the division may only be a few strokes away from those near the top. That makes for some very exciting golf.

In the "Play Wherever the Hell You Feel Like" model, you have a couple of very large divisions that end up being seperated by 30-40 strokes or more - sometimes a LOT more. These divisions usually end up informally divided anyway; the top half and the bottom half. This is less exciting, unless you are near the top of the top half.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X