Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratings only is great, if everyone adheres to it.

It shouldn't matter if a 42 year old plays a 22 year old as long as they both have the same (or similar) rating, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      Ratings only is great, if everyone adheres to it.

It shouldn't matter if a 42 year old plays a 22 year old as long as they both have the same (or similar) rating, right?
      Once again, I am ALL FOR a Ratings based event. You get that rating, you can play in that division.
      You DREAM about being good enough to have that rating doesn't mean you should be able to play in that division...

Stuart Smalley yourself into THINKING you're good enough to have that rating doesn't mean you should be able to play in that division...
      Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
      Or does here stand the last remaining man
      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
      Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Smalley
        I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, I'm going to birdie this hole!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Originally posted by Stuart Smalley
          I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, I'm going to birdie this hole!
          Hell you should skip AMs and go PRO with THAT attitude!

Last edited by Sausage Fingers; August 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM. Reason: damn nested quotes!
          Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
          Remain ye men of faculty complete,
          Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
          Attending to our noble bond and contract?
          Or does here stand the last remaining man
          To give a fig for rules and order yet,
          No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
          Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
          Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
            Once again, I am ALL FOR a Ratings based event. You get that rating, you can play in that division.
            You DREAM about being good enough to have that rating doesn't mean you should be able to play in that division...

Stuart Smalley yourself into THINKING you're good enough to have that rating doesn't mean you should be able to play in that division...
            You are confused, this is a free market society, people are not getting to play in those divisions they are choosing to play in those divisions. You need to cater to their Psyche not their ability.
            PDGA #25296
            Stumptown #34

Comment

Save your money and hire Nate Sexton for a private lesson, it will do you more good and THEN you can kick everybody's arse in MA2 which will raise your rating so you will qualify for MA1 in the near future.

But if you play 2 divisions above your rating and then choke hard you'll be in the same spot for the NEXT tournament. Except that the sharks in MA1 will be enjoying your entry fee!

Hey! Here's a good idea: play the division that you are rated for and then just hand the winner of MA1 the cash difference in entry fee at the awards ceremony! I'm sure that he'd love that...
              ALready have an appoitment with Mr. Sexton on Friday before the celebration, and I'm still baggin' MA2, I want a win, oh please let me win...

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                Sam, if the case is getting better by seeing better wouldn't making the jump to Pro give these guys the best bang for their buck?
                No... I think that there has to be some natural progression and Intermediate or Rec to Pro seems a little over-eager to me.
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Sorry I must have missed the memo about this being the Eugene Celebration PRACTICE tournament...
                  I don't think you should practice what you see that moment. That sounds like a good way to ensure that your second and third rounds are with players near the bottom of the field.

Save the practice for practice time. In tournaments, play the game you know.
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

So was I! But unless we go back to the Stone Age of disc golf and just have 2 divisions: Pro & Am; some people will just keep passing on the pablum of "play up so you'll get better".
                    One man's pablum is another man's truth. Maybe playing with better players hasn't benefitted you but I know many, many people who have benefitted from this.
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I too used to believe in "playing your rating". That was until my rating kept getting lower and lower while playing MA2. At that rate, I felt like I was going to be MA2 for life! Then I moved to MA1 where all the people have better ratings. Once I got over that realization that I'm just as good as those guys, and worked on my consistency, that I'd be competitive in that division. So far, although not in the top 3 ever, I feel that I've been competitive. And my rating has gone up and will do so in the near future.
                      Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

TESTIFY! TESTIFY!
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

if the rules allow you to play what ever division you can. Why would it matter to anyone else what someone wants to do. If the P.D.G.A. allows it so should evryone else. Don't like it. Get the P.D.G.A. to change it. Saying someone shouldn't seems a bit rude to me.

Comment

sam, i totally agree with the osmosis belief.

Comment

I'm really confused here! I just went and looked at players list and SAM is still playing Advanced. Sam, if you have any interest in getting better, MOVE UP!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
                                I too used to believe in "playing your rating". That was until my rating kept getting lower and lower while playing MA2. At that rate, I felt like I was going to be MA2 for life! Then I moved to MA1 where all the people have better ratings. Once I got over that realization that I'm just as good as those guys, and worked on my consistency, that I'd be competitive in that division. So far, although not in the top 3 ever, I feel that I've been competitive. And my rating has gone up and will do so in the near future.
                                Uhhh, I've played a few rounds with all2common, there seems to be a something he left out on that testimony.... he failed to mention that the reason his rating was going down, was that he just sucked; flat out sucked
                                Just kidding there... I believe there is a certain concept that is behind playing up. Some of us are playing up one division and claiming that osmosis works, which is true most of the time... however I believe this conversation started from the concept of playing 2-3 divisions up, not one, so hence the testimony given recently only applies to those who play up one division, not two...
                                The reason I haven't played up in ADV most of this year is the simple fact that I keep playing in tournaments at courses that I have little to zero experience at..
                                And I kinda hoped to play the short layout twice at Dexter, which I have never been able to play half the holes in their shorter pin placements, which I believe MA2 to play twice, I hope...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X