Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing above your rating (from Eugene Celebration thread)

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
    Hello eveybody. Sorry I haven't been on here lately but I have been very busy lately.

For those of you who haven't heard, I broke my arm pretty severely and typing is a nightmare.
    Sorry to hear about your injury, healing vibes comin' your way...

I can now start working on the pools to make the rounds go as smooth as possibe. I'll be contacting a few people to move into a different division. I have never seen an intermediate group as small as this one and a Pro and Advanced group as large for a long time.
    Looks like time for me to bang the drum about playing in the division that your rating puts you in.

THERE IS NO REASON FOR SOMEONE RATED BELOW 900 TO BE PLAYING ADVANCED!

That aught to stir the pot sufficiently for now...

We will be playing 3 rounds at Dexter in the long and short pins both.
    I can't wait for a little revenge for last year! I love playing at Dexter.

This took entirely too long for me to type so my future posts will be a lot shorter until I get this cast off. Which is the day after the tournament..

Thanks for your patience. Details and finalized schedule to come soon.

I'm always looking for sponsors and volunteers
    You concentrate on getting better, we'll chew the fat on the forum in anticipation of another amazing Eugene Celebration!

Thanks so much for all that you do for NW Disc Golf!
    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
    THERE IS NO REASON FOR SOMEONE RATED BELOW 900 TO BE PLAYING ADVANCED!
    I can think of one...

DESIRE TO GET BETTER AT DISC GOLF!

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

That happens with PRACTICE not osmosis...

Insert Iverson audio: "We're talkin' bout PRACTICE?!?!?"

Comment

That happens with PRACTICE not osmosis...

Insert Iverson audio: "We're talkin' bout PRACTICE?!?!?"
        Haven't we been here before?

Comment

Correct. Playing with better players and then practicing what you learn from them will make you a better player.

We have been here before. I still completely don't get why this isn't accepted as common knowledge. Osmosis has nothing to do with it.
          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I think more and more people are realizing the benefit of spending a hundred dollars for a Clinic in Real Time. A clinic where you have to try to focus and repeat what you see the best players doing. Birds of a feather flock together.
            Wanna be the Best, Find them and engage.

Comment

I can think of one...

I agree with the desire to get better at disc golf, but skipping 2 divisions up? That's some serious desire... I think the TD, if they have to move a few people around to even the flights, those who are skipping up 2 or more divisions would probably be the first to move down one division because they still would be playing up... TD's call at the end of the day...
              Just adding fuel to the fire....
              speaking of which, SAM, what did that kid ever do to you? About to burn his eye out with that flame torch in your hand in picture 21 in the Next Adventure photo album...

Comment

Correct. Playing with better players and then practicing what you learn from them will make you a better player.

We have been here before. I still completely don't get why this isn't accepted as common knowledge. Osmosis has nothing to do with it.
                Sorry I must have missed the memo about this being the Eugene Celebration PRACTICE tournament...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Roc View Post
                  I think more and more people are realizing the benefit of spending a hundred dollars for a Clinic in Real Time. A clinic where you have to try to focus and repeat what you see the best players doing. Birds of a feather flock together.
                  Is a tournament really the best place to experiment with new skills and techniques? If you see a better player do something you've never done before are you really going to try it right then?

Practice with players better than you. Play with your peers.

The rating system will work, if we let it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    The rating system will work, if we let it.
                    HERETIC! LEPER! BURN HIM!

Comment

Yeah rating are one thing but what the hell is up with this age protection junk, are we all not just amateur's with similar ratings? Why do we continue to support age protections divisions, maybe we should change all tournaments in the area to ratings only events, that way you will not be able to play in a division you do not qualify for.

Oh wait this is the US still, where people have a freedom to chose what they want to do and were they want to play. Who knows why people sign up for the Advanced division, perhaps it was because initially they would be playing with the Pro's for each round but not any more, Advanced will likely play 2 rounds Sat & 1 Round Sunday opposite the Pro's. I think it comes down to ability and not consistency, people know they have the ability to compete in advanced but lack the consistency so they are gambling that this weekend they will have the ability to make it 3 rounds before consistency can catch up to them, kind like a hot roller at a craps table.

Sam, if the case is getting better by seeing better wouldn't making the jump to Pro give these guys the best bang for their buck?
                      PDGA #25296
                      Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Roc View Post
                        Save your money and hire Nate Sexton for a private lesson, it will do you more good and THEN you can kick everybody's arse in MA2 which will raise your rating so you will qualify for MA1 in the near future.

But if you play 2 divisions above your rating and then choke hard you'll be in the same spot for the NEXT tournament. Except that the sharks in MA1 will be enjoying your entry fee!

Hey! Here's a good idea: play the division that you are rated for and then just hand the winner of MA1 the cash difference in entry fee at the awards ceremony! I'm sure that he'd love that...

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                          Why do we continue to support age protections divisions, maybe we should change all tournaments in the area to ratings only events, that way you will not be able to play in a division you do not qualify for.
                          Hey if that's what it takes I'm game! I'll be happy playing in MA2 WHERE MY RATING SAYS I SHOULD PLAY!

Comment

Hey if that's what it takes I'm game! I'll be happy playing in MA2 WHERE MY RATING SAYS I SHOULD PLAY!
                            You have to admit it does simplify things for a TD and reduces the costs of the event by reducing the number of trophies needed! But other than that I was being a little sarcastic!
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                              You have to admit it does simplify things for a TD and reduces the costs of the event by reducing the number of trophies needed! But other than that I was being a little sarcastic!
                              So was I! But unless we go back to the Stone Age of disc golf and just have 2 divisions: Pro & Am; some people will just keep passing on the pablum of "play up so you'll get better".
                              Last edited by Sausage Fingers; August 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM. Reason: I just needed to just take a few justs out of my sentence...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X