X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open areas for practice?

I am very new to the sport of disc golf (~3 weeks) and have played everyday since I started.

I am looking to improve quickly and would like to find an open area close by that I can just throw my discs all day. Some courses can be crowded for a newbie and I don't want to worry about hitting anybody or losing a disc.

I was just wondering if any of you know of a nice wide open flat area without a lot of people that I could practice my form. Maybe some empty soccer fields or grassy areas open to the public without a lot of people? I live in west Portland.

thanks!

If you're new to the sport, then you're not going to be throwing more than 100 yards, and ANY softball or soccer field should have plenty of room to practice.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I should have said I am also new to Portland. Where is a soccer of softball field?

Comment

Type your address into Google Maps, switch to the satellite view, and browse around.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

The field by the practice basket at pier park is a good spot. After your done working on your form, you can go test it out on the course!

Comment

Originally posted by dlafount View Post
            I am very new to the sport of disc golf (~3 weeks) and have played everyday since I started.

I am looking to improve quickly and would like to find an open area close by that I can just throw my discs all day. Some courses can be crowded for a newbie and I don't want to worry about hitting anybody or losing a disc.

I was just wondering if any of you know of a nice wide open flat area without a lot of people that I could practice my form. Maybe some empty soccer fields or grassy areas open to the public without a lot of people? I live in west Portland.

thanks!
            Wow, you are going to be a force to be reckoned with and soon. You have already displayed the type of motivation and discipline that is lacking in 75% of disc golfers. Finding a field in order to practice technique is one of the best ways to get good fast. Also, check out this article

http://www.1000rated.com/2008/12/practice-makes-habits/
            Team DISCRAFT
            NW Sign Up
            Gorilla Boy
            Paragon Disc Golf
            Odwalla

Comment

I was so wild, if not long, when I first started, that I used to mow a neighbor's field, out of sight of the course, for a place to practice. Even though it was over 200 feet wide, I'd still lose discs off either side. If you an catch it open and vacant, any football/track field would work.

All the pros say, accuracy before distance. I know, I know, but ya just want to air it out. There's an interesting ratio between average force and average accuracy. We all learn it in time, or lose too many discs to keep playing.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Good article.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

When I first started playing golf I was going to college and spent hours on the football field throwing all my discs in all sorts of different ways...it was cool because with the yard lines I knew exactly how far I was going...I also would challenge myself to throw through and around the goalposts, sort of imitating hazards I might run into on the course...unfortunately, this is really no good for you as I can't tell you where you can find an open to the public football field...but if you do I highly recommend this as a practice technique...

peace threw disc golf,
                  emmarose
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the posts. I found a couple of soccer fields very close to my house and have already started improving.

Cheers!

Comment

From one beginner to another while have a long drive is cool, the ability to hit your target is more so. What good is a 500 foot drive if its 500 feet off target. In my competitive soccer days, I learned that constancy and accuracy are much more important than being able to kick a ball from one end of the field to the other. Having confidence in your short game is as important as your drive. Don’t over do your practice either, take it in blocks, and no longer than an 90minutes at a time. Practice how you play. Start with a 10-minute warm-up, Driving skills for 15 minutes, mid-range skills for 15 minutes, putting skills for 30 minutes (in two 15-minute blocks) and finally a 10- minute cool down. I think you find that this will help you become a well rounded player.
                      Throw What You Know.
                      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                      PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by T-what? View Post
                        The field by the practice basket at pier park is a good spot. After your done working on your form, you can go test it out on the course!
                        I just, just got started playing disc golf and found this site a couple days ago. I searched the forum for practice tips. It's a 3 year old thread, though.

Just want to make sure that practice basket and field at Pier Park still remain the same today. I thought I'd ask if any other courses in the Portland area have practice holes like the one mentioned at Pier Park.
                        :cool::rockon::pirate::cool2: Keep Portland Weird! :cool2::pirate::rockon::cool:

Comment

There still is a space for throwing next to the practice basket.

Best thing for practice is any open field. Football fields are awesome because you can easily mark your distance and track it over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            There still is a space for throwing next to the practice basket.

Best thing for practice is any open field. Football fields are awesome because you can easily mark your distance and track it over time.
                            Thanks
                            :cool::rockon::pirate::cool2: Keep Portland Weird! :cool2::pirate::rockon::cool:

Comment

Field practice is the best.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X