Juniors clinic and tournament Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Juniors clinic and tournament

    For the last month or two Zippyboy and I have been throwing around the idea of having a juniors clinic and tournament. Something like the Chick Flick but only one day. There seems to be more and more kids playing at tournaments, the Bad Monkey Open had 3 but the Clash on the Columbia had 7. My son played in both and had a great time. I had to drag him away from the course on Saturday and Sunday. It would be great to get the kids together to learn (I know that my son is mostly just picking up our bad skills at this point) and play with kids their own skill level.

    I was thinking that next spring would be a good time to have this, before the tournament season really gets going but after the weather gets a little warmer. Glenwood would be a great place. It has a nice little 9 whole course that does take some skill and a large practice area as well as great parking. There is also a good chance that the church would help, disc golf is one of their outreach projects.

    Before I get too far into this I was wondering if there is any interest other then the Hills and us? If so, I will start by contacting Jason Pinkel since it was mentioned that he might be interested in helping with something like this.

  • #2
    when kids want to be like Klimo then our sport has arrived
    that's the best thing we could do is to get kids involved
    i've done a couple of them with kids in the local area
    they are much more wanting to play with kids thier own age

    Comment


    • #3
      Joe, my son decided to not play soccer this fall so that he can play more disc golf. I am very happy that he has decided to play a sport that he can play all his life since he is not a great at sports and I would much rather he spent his time learning life long skills instead of skills that you can not use after high school.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ms Thing View Post
        Joe, my son decided to not play soccer this fall so that he can play more disc golf. I am very happy that he has decided to play a sport that he can play all his life since he is not a great at sports and I would much rather he spent his time learning life long skills instead of skills that you can not use after high school.
        Your son was a joy to be around as were Caleb and Patrick for my first round. It's a really cool thing to see him so into it.
        Putting......heh...EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Maidenrules View Post
          Your son was a joy to be around as were Caleb and Patrick for my first round. It's a really cool thing to see him so into it.
          Thank you! I think he is pretty awesome as well. I was very happy to see that the boys got the chance to watch people that know what they are doing at the tournament. Poor kid is only learning bad habits from us .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ms Thing View Post
            Thank you! I think he is pretty awesome as well. I was very happy to see that the boys got the chance to watch people that know what they are doing at the tournament. Poor kid is only learning bad habits from us .
            Amy - I've only met you a few times but have bumped into Mitch several times. By golfing with you two, Easton will turn into a polite, concientious, and respectful golfer. He will not litter and will go out of his way to return discs. The way I see it, Easton is learning nothing but good habits from you and Mitch. Keep hukin'!


            But I do know what you mean. Throwing with me only, Matthew's game was kind of stuck in one place. It went through the roof when he started regularly attending Tuesday Twos.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Amy - I've only met you a few times but have bumped into Mitch several times. By golfing with you two, Easton will turn into a polite, concientious, and respectful golfer. He will not litter and will go out of his way to return discs. The way I see it, Easton is learning nothing but good habits from you and Mitch. Keep hukin'!


              But I do know what you mean. Throwing with me only, Matthew's game was kind of stuck in one place. It went through the roof when he started regularly attending Tuesday Twos.

              How about improper form then .

              That said, he is learning all of the etiquette needed to be a golfer that people want to play with. I still play by regular golf etiquette so he will be learning not to be in anyone's sight line and not to walk in anyones line (I know that does not matter in disc golf but I am sure I will never out grow that). You may occationally see me telling him to stop, move or pulling him out of a sght line.

              Comment


              • #8
                I, too, try not to walk across another player's line of play, especially around the green. I have no business being between my opponent's lie and the target. If that's where my lie is, it's not my turn yet, and I should politely wait until it is my turn.
                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  This is an awesome idea! I have a son who will be 6 this spring and when this happens we will be sure to attend. If there is more help needed during the clinic I would like to extend my services if needed. Already looking forward to this more than any other event coming up. Let's make it happen.
                  Click here

                  Challenge disc golf

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                    This is an awesome idea! I have a son who will be 6 this spring and when this happens we will be sure to attend. If there is more help needed during the clinic I would like to extend my services if needed. Already looking forward to this more than any other event coming up. Let's make it happen.

                    Awesome! Your services will be greatly appreciated, since it has been established that I can't throw a disc, the only person I beat at the Clash was my own son. In fact there is a good chance I will be watching things to try and pick up some pointers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                      This is an awesome idea! I have a son who will be 6 this spring and when this happens we will be sure to attend. If there is more help needed during the clinic I would like to extend my services if needed. Already looking forward to this more than any other event coming up. Let's make it happen.
                      .

                      If Mitch and Amy will help me, I'll make it happen.

                      Bob

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                        .

                        If Mitch and Amy will help me, I'll make it happen.

                        Bob
                        Make it happen Bob. We will help.

                        I am really excited about the whole idea. I spent my whole drive home thinking of how it will work and how to get started. I am very happy to support someone that knows what they are doing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ms Thing View Post
                          How about improper form then .

                          That said, he is learning all of the etiquette needed to be a golfer that people want to play with. I still play by regular golf etiquette so he will be learning not to be in anyone's sight line and not to walk in anyones line (I know that does not matter in disc golf but I am sure I will never out grow that). You may occationally see me telling him to stop, move or pulling him out of a sght line.
                          Do people really think that those things don't matter in disc golf? They DO matter, they matter a lot!! I am so glad you are teaching your son the way my dad taught me...I really believe those rules of etiquette are a good portion of what makes the game what it is...or I guess what it should be in my opinion, anyway...I don't have the money to get out on a ball golf course, shoot, I barely have the money for new plastic, and certainly not for the fees to play in tournaments, but I love disc golf for the peace and decorum (within reason) that I get to experience on the course.

                          I will not play with people who do not follow proper ettiquette, and because I can be a bit of a loud mouth and some people might even say pushy, I don't mind speaking up about it (thank goodness I pretty much only play with people who are already my friends, right?). It's important to respect those you are playing with by giving them their space to focus and throw.

                          Keep up your good work, Ms. Thing, it would be a pleasure to run into your son on a disc golf course somewhere...and you, too!
                          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ms Thing View Post
                            Make it happen Bob. We will help.

                            I am really excited about the whole idea. I spent my whole drive home thinking of how it will work and how to get started. I am very happy to support someone that knows what they are doing.
                            Awesome! I will do what I can to promote up here and would love to help with the clinic. Let me know what I can do. Innova has discs that were made for the EDGE program that are superlight and might make good playerspack discs.
                            Click here

                            Challenge disc golf

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
                              Do people really think that those things don't matter in disc golf? They DO matter, they matter a lot!! I am so glad you are teaching your son the way my dad taught me...I really believe those rules of etiquette are a good portion of what makes the game what it is...or I guess what it should be in my opinion, anyway...I don't have the money to get out on a ball golf course, shoot, I barely have the money for new plastic, and certainly not for the fees to play in tournaments, but I love disc golf for the peace and decorum (within reason) that I get to experience on the course.

                              I will not play with people who do not follow proper ettiquette, and because I can be a bit of a loud mouth and some people might even say pushy, I don't mind speaking up about it (thank goodness I pretty much only play with people who are already my friends, right?). It's important to respect those you are playing with by giving them their space to focus and throw.

                              Keep up your good work, Ms. Thing, it would be a pleasure to run into your son on a disc golf course somewhere...and you, too!
                              People do still think that a sight line matters but walking in another's line on the way to a disc is most definately a ball golf thing. If I am ahead of you and walking to my disc on the other side of the basket I will walk around your disc, but it does not really matter if I do that or not if you are not at your disc. My shoe mark is not going to ruin your putt by denting the green, at least not like in regular golf. I still remember my first screw up of etiquette playing regular golf, I was with my grandpa before I ever started to playing and picked up a dime off of the green. It was somebody's marker, but my 7 year old self had no idea, to me it was money. Those rules are now deeply ingrained and I have not played ball golf in 9 years (had a kid, no money for greens fees, darn kid )

                              We are going to try and make it out to the next Grand Lodge doubles, lets hope the kitty is well enough so we can go. I had to run home between rounds at the Clash just to feed him.

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X