X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ms Thing View Post
    People do still think that a sight line matters but walking in another's line on the way to a disc is most definately a ball golf thing. If I am ahead of you and walking to my disc on the other side of the basket I will walk around your disc, but it does not really matter if I do that or not if you are not at your disc. My shoe mark is not going to ruin your putt by denting the green, at least not like in regular golf. I still remember my first screw up of etiquette playing regular golf, I was with my grandpa before I ever started to playing and picked up a dime off of the green. It was somebody's marker, but my 7 year old self had no idea, to me it was money. Those rules are now deeply ingrained and I have not played ball golf in 9 years (had a kid, no money for greens fees, darn kid )

We are going to try and make it out to the next Grand Lodge doubles, lets hope the kitty is well enough so we can go. I had to run home between rounds at the Clash just to feed him.
    I jumped the gun a little bit there with my shock, didn't carefully read/understand the part about the line of my disc...and truly, I am glad that things are not quite so uptight on the disc golf course...I went ball golfing only one time in my life and man, it was faux pas left and right for me...I had fun and actually struck the ball quite well, but just like when I throw my disc, I was grunting (a la tennis stars) loudly, and I would forget it wasn't really cool to whoop and holler or even clap for the good shots in the foursome. Luckily it was a podunk course, so we didn't get kicked out, and most of the other golfers were pretty casual. And, again, being honest...I wander around in front of people like a dork probably more than anyone else I golf with...but at least I know I shouldn't be...
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Make it happen Bob. We will help.

I am really excited about the whole idea. I spent my whole drive home thinking of how it will work and how to get started. I am very happy to support someone that knows what they are doing.
      Count me in, too.

At dinner last night I causually mentioned the possibility of a kiddo tournment/clinic and was immediately bombarded with questions: When is it? Where will it be? Can we have it at Leverich? No Horning's! How many divisions will there be? Etc.. Etc.. Etc.. The boy is a little excited over the possibilities.

Comment

Hornings maybe a good choice as well. I guess it really depends on what we want to happen and how may people are able to help out. Maybe have one in the spring at Glenwood and then the summer/fall at Hornings

Scott, how old is your son?

Comment

Hornings maybe a good choice as well. I guess it really depends on what we want to happen and how may people are able to help out. Maybe have one in the spring at Glenwood and then the summer/fall at Hornings

Scott, how old is your son?
          Matthew is 10; will be 11 in the spring.

Love the idea of two tournaments. What do you think about Leverich instead of GW? Seems a bit more interesting. Matthew loves it, but he may not be representative of all juniors.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            Matthew is 10; will be 11 in the spring.

Love the idea of two tournaments. What do you think about Leverich instead of GW? Seems a bit more interesting. Matthew loves it, but he may not be representative of all juniors.

We love Leverich but it really does not have the practice space, and there is a little less control over a large group of kids, espcially with other people using the park. For liability issues I would not want to be in charge of a bunch of kids in an open park that is frequented by homeless people. Depending on the amount of kids and interest we could split it up for playing, Leverich is pretty close to Glenwood.

Comment

I'm hoping that we can get enough volunteers so that other park users won't be a problem.

Comment

I know both Sam(11) and Landon(4) would love to be out for this kind of thing. I also volunteer myself for anything I can do with set-up etc.
                Brian

ps My family loves Leverich.

Comment

Originally posted by loyboys View Post
                  I know both Sam(11) and Landon(4) would love to be out for this kind of thing. I also volunteer myself for anything I can do with set-up etc.
                  Brian

ps My family loves Leverich.

Brian did you play at the Clash? If so we meet, I am Easten's mom.

Comment

Good point. Check with Glenwood, they may be willing to extend their property insurance to cover your event, that's what GPBC does for Lunchtime League.
                    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                      Good point. Check with Glenwood, they may be willing to extend their property insurance to cover your event, that's what GPBC does for Lunchtime League.
                      There is also a good chance that they would help in some way. I think we will check out at least the three options.

Comment

The other option on insurance is to contact the Parks Department and make the clinic a Parks Department event with "Stumptown/Trojan Nation/PDGA" volunteers instead of (or in addition to) Parks Dept. Employees.

Comment

Speaking of which...I just checked the fall/winter catalog for Vancouver/Clark P&R and they have a weekly Junior class scheduled for fall.

Comment

One of the main reasons we were looking to Glenwood as a site was the fact that the course is very beginner friendly. It must be kept in mind that we are hoping to have kids as young as five show up for this, and they would most likely not be able to handle even the Highlands course at Hornings. Furthermore, there is additional open field area near the course at Glenwood that could be utilized for clinics and whatnot.

In addition, we are hoping to draw from up north, as there has already been an interest expressed from a number of people close to the Seattle area. In taking a look, it just seemed that for a number of reasons, Glenwood made the most sense. However, all of this is tentative, and will hopefully be hammered out in the upcoming months. The prevailing thought is to have this event sometime early next year (around May), so that the kids can use their newly acquired knowledge all summer.

At the very least, it should be fun, and I will be more than happy to be a part of it.
                            TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by zippyboy View Post
                              One of the main reasons we were looking to Glenwood as a site was the fact that the course is very beginner friendly. It must be kept in mind that we are hoping to have kids as young as five show up for this, and they would most likely not be able to handle even the Highlands course at Hornings. Furthermore, there is additional open field area near the course at Glenwood that could be utilized for clinics and whatnot.

In addition, we are hoping to draw from up north, as there has already been an interest expressed from a number of people close to the Seattle area. In taking a look, it just seemed that for a number of reasons, Glenwood made the most sense. However, all of this is tentative, and will hopefully be hammered out in the upcoming months. The prevailing thought is to have this event sometime early next year (around May), so that the kids can use their newly acquired knowledge all summer.

At the very least, it should be fun, and I will be more than happy to be a part of it.
                              Doesn't Glenwood have holes that are 300' + feet?

I think GW would work, but it is soooo boring compared to Levrich. But this isn't about me, is it?

Comment

Correct. This isn't about the adults. Were it, I'm sure there would be many wanting this to be at Milo. Such as it is, this is for the kids, and I think we would be hard pressed to find a course with better facilities than Glenwood. Plenty of parking, plenty of field space for clinics, and a beginner friendly 9-hole course. While there might be two holes over 300 feet, they are wide open fairways, and shouldn't be too daunting to even the youngest of throwers.

Furthermore, we stand a better chance of being able to close down Glenwood for this event, whereas other parks would pose a greater challenge. As I said, this is still in the very early pre-planning stages. Suggestions and discussion are always welcome. If you have another course that has the same possibilities as Glenwood, let us know.

By the way, I don't think Glenwood is boring at all. I thought they did well with the area they had, and for 9 holes, there is a variety of hole design. I mean, its no Orchard - which I know you are WAY more partial to...
                                TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X