Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard that Jay was throwing a teebird plus - I hit my second 200+ footer in a month yesterday, both with rocs...

Originally posted by blang11 View Post
    Hole 16 (short, normal) at Pier with a Buzzz, backhand anhyzer. The second time in two months or so that I've done it with the same disc on the same hole. Tonight was during Pier doubles though. The pot was miserable small as it was the first night of the season and Jay "Huk" also hit an ace on hole 6 with a Buzzz. So moral of the story here folks is....get yourself a Buzzz.

Comment

• Thank you all for your kudos, I will never forget the ovation I got at central upon arriving to turn in my round 1 card, the one with the "1" on hole 14!

The feeling is indescribable, but you know the second it happens that you have hit the one in a million shot.

It was the 3rd hole of play, Great Northwest Open 2010, Whistler's Bend. (There had already been an eruption of cheering from the start of the course, and we later learned that hole 1 had been aced on the first throw of the tourney!)

I snapped the green 173-gram Discraft ESP Surge on a low line, with a lot of hyzer, straight at the basket. It flipped up to flat, and locked in. It sailed on a laser line, frozen rope straight to the basket. As usual on top of the world, it was hard to judge the distance. It continued on its rail straight course, getting smaller and smaller from our point of view. Then, it stopped with extreme abruptness, perfectly framed by the basket. After I wondered for a second if it was in, or straight behind it, the "ching" sound arrived, and I lost it. I fell to the ground, and then began to join the screaming fanaticism in my group. I got up and it was and it was high tens all around. As I again became aware again of my surroundings, I could hear everyone freaking all over the course. The spotters were losing it.

People started coming out of the woodwork, up from the campground, to see if all the yelling could really be the unimaginable: ace from top of the world! My group jokingly asked me to clear my disc, but I declined, and once I got to the green, Jeremiah Jones showed up with his camera, Terry Surratt rode up on his bike, people were coming from everywhere, cheering and congratulating me. It felt amazing knowing it was real, as I pulled my disc out of the basket.

I untangled the chains, unwrapping them from where they had been smashed up around the hangers, and let the rings drop to where they should be. What had sounded faint from 725 feet away, had really been a violent collision of plastic and metal. However, the sturdy ESP Surge was not damaged at all, and shows no signs of the improbable impact.

Arriving on the next tee, more people signed my disc, and I was congratulated by none other than Lane Mason himself, perhaps the only other player to have aced that hole from that pad, and we shared stories, as he described his witnessed, non-sanctioned, dusk time ace of #14 with a DX Glow Roc.

Even though there ended up being six aces that weekend, splitting my portion to $46, the shot itself will mean more to me than money for the rest of my life. Jesse Siebel even came up to me and gave me a ten-spot, claiming that the shot deserved much more than the ace pot portion, and of course I accepted and thanked him.

Of course, I will continue to seek out the aces, the wins, and the moments, but that is one I am fairly sure I won't be able to easily repeat in this lifetime. I was happy to have held it together that round, that next tee shot on 15 was a tough one to focus on! I shot a PB round, but did not recover from the lunch celebration, and did not finish well in the tourney. I must admit it has been tougher to concentrate on tricky drives and hard putts lately!

I don't know what more to say, except you should have been there, and good luck trying to match it! That, and I'll take any ESP Surges you have lying around...

Originally posted by Darr View Post

Photos taken by Jeremiah Jones
      As you can see, Stern's LEGENDARY ACE actually EXPLODED the chains and the ring stuck at the top of the basket! Citizen 055 and I both agree, Heroes get remembered, but LEGENDS NEVER DIE!!!
      STERN! STERN! STERN!
      Last edited by TreeLove; May 6th, 2010, 06:25 PM.
      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

• Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
        Thank you all for your kudos, I will never forget the ovation I got at central upon arriving to turn in my round 1 card, the one with the "1" on hole 14!

The feeling is indescribable, but you know the second it happens that you have hit the one in a million shot.

It was the 3rd hole of play, Great Northwest Open 2010, Whistler's Bend. (There had already been an eruption of cheering from the start of the course, and we later learned that hole 1 had been aced on the first throw of the tourney!)

I snapped the green 173-gram Discraft ESP Surge on a low line, with a lot of hyzer, straight at the basket. It flipped up to flat, and locked in. It sailed on a laser line, frozen rope straight to the basket. As usual on top of the world, it was hard to judge the distance. It continued on its rail straight course, getting smaller and smaller from our point of view. Then, it stopped with extreme abruptness, perfectly framed by the basket. After I wondered for a second if it was in, or straight behind it, the "ching" sound arrived, and I lost it. I fell to the ground, and then began to join the screaming fanaticism in my group. I got up and it was and it was high tens all around. As I again became aware again of my surroundings, I could hear everyone freaking all over the course. The spotters were losing it.

People started coming out of the woodwork, up from the campground, to see if all the yelling could really be the unimaginable: ace from top of the world! My group jokingly asked me to clear my disc, but I declined, and once I got to the green, Jeremiah Jones showed up with his camera, Terry Surratt rode up on his bike, people were coming from everywhere, cheering and congratulating me. It felt amazing knowing it was real, as I pulled my disc out of the basket.

I untangled the chains, unwrapping them from where they had been smashed up around the hangers, and let the rings drop to where they should be. What had sounded faint from 725 feet away, had really been a violent collision of plastic and metal. However, the sturdy ESP Surge was not damaged at all, and shows no signs of the improbable impact.

Arriving on the next tee, more people signed my disc, and I was congratulated by none other than Lane Mason himself, perhaps the only other player to have aced that hole from that pad, and we shared stories, as he described his witnessed, non-sanctioned, dusk time ace of #14 with a DX Glow Roc.

Even though there ended up being six aces that weekend, splitting my portion to $46, the shot itself will mean more to me than money for the rest of my life. Jesse Siebel even came up to me and gave me a ten-spot, claiming that the shot deserved much more than the ace pot portion, and of course I accepted and thanked him.

Of course, I will continue to seek out the aces, the wins, and the moments, but that is one I am fairly sure I won't be able to easily repeat in this lifetime. I was happy to have held it together that round, that next tee shot on 15 was a tough one to focus on! I shot a PB round, but did not recover from the lunch celebration, and did not finish well in the tourney. I must admit it has been tougher to concentrate on tricky drives and hard putts lately!

I don't know what more to say, except you should have been there, and good luck trying to match it! That, and I'll take any ESP Surges you have lying around...
        I was waiting for the story and it did not disappoint. I told my wife if it happened to me and a car hit me the next day then my bucket list was complete. This could not of happened to a nicer guy. I can't wait to golf with you and here about it. To the other 616 posts in this catagory GAWAIN WINS!!!!
        Putting......heh...EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD!

Comment

• Ive posted my 6 aces on here. Chris Graham has posted like 30 something aces, but in my mind. this Ace and the story behind it tops them all!!!!!
          All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

• The ace that topped the rest of the aces! Thats a mighty long ace. Whats the longest in Oregon state history?
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

• Originally posted by General Scales View Post
              The ace that topped the rest of the aces! Thats a mighty long ace. Whats the longest in Oregon state history?
              i would be lead to belive that hole 14 at the bend would be the longest ace in oregon.. but then again i do not live down there. now i have heard that the longest ace in washington was hit by dion @ft.steli on what was hole #11 on the n.w course. i was told that he hit that ace in the air and nothing but chains. i was also told that he did it with a 360 drive.

Comment

• Geeziz, Gawain, can't you keep anything nice?

The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by mazza View Post
                  i would be lead to belive that hole 14 at the bend would be the longest ace in oregon.. but then again i do not live down there. now i have heard that the longest ace in washington was hit by dion @ft.steli on what was hole #11 on the n.w course. i was told that he hit that ace in the air and nothing but chains. i was also told that he did it with a 360 drive.
                  Which one is #11? There have been several aces on #18 at Terrace which would have to be contenders for longest ace in WA--Gibson Holub with a Roc and Evan Troka with a Max are 2 that I know of.
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

• Yeah, Dion hit the Steli hole with a Force. I think it's the one he calls '465'.

As for the Bend shot, all I have to say is HOLY SHHHHH....

Congrats again.

I think the worlds longest ace was hit in Montana @ Diamond X Ranch. Like 815 or something like that. With a Valk.

Okay, so I edited this to add the right information. It was hole 18 @ Diamond X. 726 feet. With a Polaris LS. Although the vertical drop there is 183. So in hindsight, I'd believe that the Top of The World ace @ Bend is the furthest due to less elevation drop.
                    Last edited by General Scales; May 7th, 2010, 10:59 AM. Reason: Wrong Info, now corrected.
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Which one is #11? There have been several aces on #18 at Terrace which would have to be contenders for longest ace in WA--Gibson Holub with a Roc and Evan Troka with a Max are 2 that I know of.
                      hole #11 is the second hole on the inner of the grove. its 465' with a couple of trees and a big 'ol bush on the front right side of the pin. witch i was told the route dion took. a big ass 360 drive with a big helex over the big bush and right into the chains

Comment

• This is not a long ace, but is was worth $$$$$$$$$$$

Dabney Doubles - 5/06/10
                        Hole 8 (right position) length maybe 250-260
                        Disc of Choice - Crow

Crist Garcia - took home a cool $277.00

I was about 5-10 seconds from seeing it go in...we were walking down 7 and heard the Bam of the chains and then heard Crist yell and then watched him run as fast as possible down the fairway to celebrate with his disc in the basket.

Congrats Crist!

Kevin

Comment

• I aced #11 at lakewood today with a rhbh pro katana.

Comment

• Originally posted by aaron View Post
                            I aced #11 at lakewood today with a rhbh pro katana.
                            I didn't see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cold Steel View Post
                              I didn't see it.
                              no but chuck and tim did.

Comment

• You are out of control yet again Aaron, how many are you up to for 2009 & 2010?
                                'Weekend 4 Women':
                                Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                                Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X