X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bagger wiggins jr

I was reading david wiggins jr's profile on the innova site. The kid is 14(?), rated 983, he has won the worlds in his junior division from 2004 to this year, and he played in the usdgc last year. He started playing open events last year but declining cash so he can play juniors at worlds. I am going to see what he won by this year but it seems a little silly to me for the kid to be playing juniors when he could easily be cashing or atleast coming pretty close playing open. Not sure what the thought process behind the decision is. Do you think he is a junior bagger?
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

It could be simpler than being a bagger.

Like a lot of Masters, Grandmasters, etc, maybe he just likes playing with people his age?
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Wiggins played Advanced this year and came in second. I think the bagger Junior award, if there is such a thing this Worlds might go to Oscar Stenfelt, the 1000 rated Swede who won the 16 & under division. But he'll likely be accepting cash in pro next year in Sweden. He's already been playing pro and declining until he could come to this Worlds to win Jr title. Wiggins' Dad has said Wiggins Jr will likely not turn pro so he doesn't violate any NCAA rule for being a pro when he goes to college.

Comment

sounds like the pdga board needs to start talking with NCAA to make it clear what the rules are since alot of us go to college. What sport is wiggins going to play in NCAA?

Comment

It seems silly that going pro in a sport not offered by the NCAA would effect eligibilty in another sport. But many of the NCAA rules are just that - silly.

Comment

y'all remember what happened to that guy from colorado who skiied pro but played football, gosh they hurt that guy's future big time...

Comment

I think in this case, I believe they hope that disc golf will become an NCAA sanctioned sport by the time Wiggins Jr gets to or during his college years. The College Disc Golf Team Championship has been building each year and is excluding players who have cashed in PDGA events from the teams.

Comment

Makes more sence than playing juniors.
                Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                  I think in this case, I believe they hope that disc golf will become an NCAA sanctioned sport by the time Wiggins Jr gets to or during his college years. The College Disc Golf Team Championship has been building each year and is excluding players who have cashed in PDGA events from the teams.
                  Wow, that's planning ahead.
                  I'm sure dg will become an NCAA sport at some point, but in the next 5 years? That seems rather hopeful. Many schools are looking at cutting programs that are not profitable (i.e. football). I just heard that the other day that one of the schools (sorry, I don't recall which one) may drop out of the Pac 10 because it may have to drop below the minimum number of sports. It seems like a tough economic time to be adding programs.

Comment

makes complete sense he prob. could get a Full Ride at the College of his choice.

Bag on Wiggy jr.

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

The last time David Wiggins Jr. played in a Junior division (other than Worlds and Jr Worlds) was 2005. He started playing Open in 2006. He did play Am Worlds as a Jr. in 2008 - in the <19 division (he was 13 at the time).

I really don't think the word sandbagger is accurate in this case. Not even close.

Comment

Given his abilities as I disc golfer, I find it unlikely that he would hope to play a sport other than disc golf at the NCAA level. That being said, it doesn't make any sense to me for him to stay an amateur for 8 more years just so he can play 4 years in college. Just like with basketball and football, if your good enough to play pro and make a bunch of money, then you play pro. Of course, some bball and fball players will play one year of college prior to turning pro in order to get more experience and maturity as a player prior to turning pro, but him placing as well as he did in the Advaced division proves that he is ready. Furthermore, there may be the accomplishment of being crowned NCAA champion to play for, but I think that would pale in comparison to World Champion! (Which I'm sure is on his to do list already!) Then, of course, there is the idea that he and his family may not want him to be in such high pressure situations at such young an age, but by the time College gets here, that wouldn't be the case and in my experience, the young disc golf tournament players I've met are mature, able to handle pressure well, and more responsible than quite a large percentage of adults I know (excluding disc golfers, of course)

Well anyway, David Wiggins Jr., I don't know you and you don't know me, but congrats on a Worlds 2009 well played and thanks for letting me discuss you on this forum, even though I probably have no business doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny B View Post
                          Given his abilities as I disc golfer, I find it unlikely that he would hope to play a sport other than disc golf at the NCAA level. That being said, it doesn't make any sense to me for him to stay an amateur for 8 more years just so he can play 4 years in college. Just like with basketball and football, if your good enough to play pro and make a bunch of money, then you play pro. Of course, some bball and fball players will play one year of college prior to turning pro in order to get more experience and maturity as a player prior to turning pro, but him placing as well as he did in the Advaced division proves that he is ready. Furthermore, there may be the accomplishment of being crowned NCAA champion to play for, but I think that would pale in comparison to World Champion! (Which I'm sure is on his to do list already!) Then, of course, there is the idea that he and his family may not want him to be in such high pressure situations at such young an age, but by the time College gets here, that wouldn't be the case and in my experience, the young disc golf tournament players I've met are mature, able to handle pressure well, and more responsible than quite a large percentage of adults I know (excluding disc golfers, of course)

Well anyway, David Wiggins Jr., I don't know you and you don't know me, but congrats on a Worlds 2009 well played and thanks for letting me discuss you on this forum, even though I probably have no business doing so.

From his web page:
                          4th, 5th, and 6th Grade Honor Roll
                          Southwest Elementary, High Point, NC

7th Grade Honor roll
                          High Point Friends School, High Point, NC

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Presidential Fitness Award
                          Southwest Elementary, High Point, NC, and High Point Friends
                          School, High Point, NC

2004 Little League All-Star Team High Point, NC

Other Interests

Fishing, bicycling, basketball, baseball, running, bowling
                          INFO
                          It looks like this young man understands there is more to life than disc golf. Perhaps he want to go to college to (gasp) get an education.

Originally posted by Kenny B View Post
                          Of course, some bball and fball players will play one year of college prior to turning pro in order to get more experience and maturity as a player prior to turning pro
                          Actually, they do this becasuse NBA and NFL rules forbid players from jumping straight from high schoold to their leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            From his web page:
                            4th, 5th, and 6th Grade Honor Roll
                            Southwest Elementary, High Point, NC

7th Grade Honor roll
                            High Point Friends School, High Point, NC

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Presidential Fitness Award
                            Southwest Elementary, High Point, NC, and High Point Friends
                            School, High Point, NC

2004 Little League All-Star Team High Point, NC

Other Interests

Fishing, bicycling, basketball, baseball, running, bowling
                            INFO
                            It looks like this young man understands there is more to life than disc golf. Perhaps he want to go to college to (gasp) get an education.

Actually, they do this becasuse NBA and NFL rules forbid players from jumping straight from high schoold to their leagues.
                            I would expect him to go to college to get an education. But not turning pro just to play NCAA disc golf...doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

Many schools are looking at cutting programs that are not profitable (i.e. football).
                              Very true. However, how much would disc golf cost a school's athletic department? Gas for an 18 passenger van? It also has the capability of being a Title 9 sport.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X