Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what champions are made of

Excerpt from interview with Dave Feldberg on 1000rated.com

Feldberg: So I get to 2002 and I go up against Climo back in his town at the Sarasota Super Tour - Iím playing against Kenny - and Iíve got him beat going into the final round. Of course, with my new push putt heís taught me. Iím feeling pretty confident. But, itís really windy - all of the holes go left a little bit and Iím throwing Banshees and Firebirds and nothing will go left. Heís throwing TLís and Leopards and theyíre all hyzering right to the pin on every hole. Iím just losing my mind, and I almost want to quit the sport - Iím never going to beat this guy - Iím just not good enough. I sit down after taking second place - Champ walks by me at the end of the event and says, ďKeep your head up.Ē I say, ďChamp, man, Iím out there throwing Banshees and Firebirds and I canít even get them left enough. Youíre throwing TLís and your getting left of the basket. I just canít do it.Ē And he says, ďyouíre not doing it right.Ē My ears kind of poked up - I always like an opportunity to learn something. And he said, ďYouíre throwing stalls, not hyzers. When you learn to thrown hyzer, itíll go left for you - I promise.Ē

What he was saying to me was that I was doing what most players do when theyíre learning. I was taking a stable disc out and trying to throw it out to the right and make it hyzer in. What does a disc want to do when itís overstable? Itís mission is to go out and find the ground - so the reason it hyzers is because itís going out and then the nose dips and it wants to hit the ground. If itís windy, youíll throw it out and it wonít go to the right because itís stable, but the wind will just keep it there and it will just drop out left. It will be good; it didnít turn OB or anything, but it didnít really go in there like you would want it to do when itís not windy. When you take a Tee-bird like disc or an Eagle thatís mid-stability, you throw it with hyzer, and what happens is it goes through the wind and itís TRYING to hyzer - as it tries to flatten up because itís less stable - the stuff that most people throw - it goes forward and as along you give enough hyzer where it never gets past flat, the disc will then try to go forward as it finishes instead of just hitting the ground, and it will dramatically hyzer further.

I started teaching this in my class - I would stand at the top of this hill and I would ask someone to give me their most stable disc. Someone would give me their Firebird out of their bag - Iíd throw it on that exact same line and it would hyzer pretty hard left. Then, with a DX Valkyrie - Iíd throw it with the same line - it looks the same in the air, but finishes 75 feet left of the Firebird. It doesnít seem to make sense to the class, but itís what I call understanding stability. Thereís no way you can get to the top of the game with a 1030 rating unless you understand stability.

http://www.1000rated.com/2008/08/spo...dave-feldberg/

Comment

I don't really understand actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        I don't really understand actually.
        You must not be a champion.

Comment

If a disc is at / angle it is turning left (rhbh). A firebird is going to keep / angle and dive to the ground. A valk if thrown properly is going to level out while turning left, then as it stalls turns left even more as long as it doesn't level out past -- angle.

This throw requires some touch/finese, but with practice everybody can do it and it will improve your entire game more than you think.

Hope that clears some stuff up for somebody.

Comment

so the firebird if thrown flat will fade more at the end than my valk will if thrown flat.

Comment

It means that the Valk will flatten out and go farther left than the Firebird as a result. The word "fade" only complicates the discussion.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

The issue is throwing a disc like a Firebird with hyzer will drive it into the ground early. The way to get distance and go left is to throw it flat or with the classic S curve where it stalls at the end. However, if you throw a less stable disc like a TL with hyzer, it will go longer than the Firebird, not dive to ground early and continue to hyzer to the left more than the Firebird stall shot at a similar distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                  The issue is throwing a disc like a Firebird with hyzer will drive it into the ground early. The way to get distance and go left is to throw it flat or with the classic S curve where it stalls at the end. However, if you throw a less stable disc like a TL with hyzer, it will go longer than the Firebird, not dive to ground early and continue to hyzer to the left more than the Firebird stall shot at a similar distance.

Ahh yes, I have found this to be true also

Comment

most stable doesn't equal most hyzer.
                    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

right, since a hyzer could hold a line and glide with a less stable disc for along time as opposed to a disc that likes to hyzer and then fade hard fast nose down...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X