Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundraiser tourney--incentive besides good will?

Hey everyone, I'm looking at running a tourney (and many more if it's successful) to raise funds to help enhance a course. I'm planning on having a casual, laid back BYOP doubles tourney, with the main objective of course, being a fundraiser. For all the big tourneys, TDs advertise the amount of cash added to payout and what not, but for a fundraiser, payout won't be that big of a draw. I don't really know how much I want to set the fees at...I don't want to make it too expensive, but again, I do want to make some money for the course. So, as a question to those of you that might have experience, or players that might be interested in such a thing, what are ideas you have for drawing players to play in a fundraising event if they're not showing up for the dolla dolla bills yo? Anything that's proven to be successful in the past? Anything that's proven unsuccessful? Thanks for any feedback!
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Originally posted by Tim
    Hey everyone, I'm looking at running a tourney (and many more if it's successful) to raise funds to help enhance a course. I'm planning on having a casual, laid back BYOP doubles tourney, with the main objective of course, being a fundraiser. For all the big tourneys, TDs advertise the amount of cash added to payout and what not, but for a fundraiser, payout won't be that big of a draw. I don't really know how much I want to set the fees at...I don't want to make it too expensive, but again, I do want to make some money for the course. So, as a question to those of you that might have experience, or players that might be interested in such a thing, what are ideas you have for drawing players to play in a fundraising event if they're not showing up for the dolla dolla bills yo? Anything that's proven to be successful in the past? Anything that's proven unsuccessful? Thanks for any feedback!
    Personally, I like fund raiser tourney's to have an out of the ordinary format.
    That way people can just play the game and have a great time as opposed to having to worry about scoring well, cashing etc... Bring your own partner doubles tourneys and even three headed monster tourneys are perfect for something like this. People don't get to play these formats as often so they might be more inclined to play regardless of payout. Also you can use CTPs and other smaller prizes to spice things up a bit.

Anyway... that's my opinion on the matter.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
      Personally, I like fund raiser tourney's to have an out of the ordinary format.
      That way people can just play the game and have a great time as opposed to having to worry about scoring well, cashing etc... Bring your own partner doubles tourneys and even three headed monster tourneys are perfect for something like this. People don't get to play these formats as often so they might be more inclined to play regardless of payout. Also you can use CTPs and other smaller prizes to spice things up a bit.

Anyway... that's my opinion on the matter.
      I totally agree with Bullseye on this one. I think we should putt the fun back in fundraiser.

Comment

when I ran my fundraiser tournament I got lots of donations from local businesses and the sort and had a raffle. That way I could still have a payout for the top finishers and raise most of the money through the raffle.

I also sold tee signs which helped raise some more money.

At the end of my tournament we had raised almost $800.
        Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

I agree with Bullseye as well. Hey Tim you might want to talk to Keith about giving out some CTP's for these events.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Yeah, I might consider that, but my original post was from a year before Chainbangerz even existed. This led to the original Terror Creek.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Yeah, I might consider that, but my original post was from a year before Chainbangerz even existed. This led to the original Terror Creek.

Who keeps bringing alive these old threads again!
              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I've ran a few different fundraiser tourneys. I've had the most positive feedback doing what both Haggerty and Runnaman suggested. Lots of schwag to give away and different formats. The last one was pretty fun when we did first round singles and second round doubles. The doubles paired first place in the singles with last place, 2nd with second to last...

We had great support from the DG community, and I think for a fundraiser to really work, they need to believe in the cause.
                A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X