Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brad Huggins of Salem OR and John Conte Pt Orchard WA. Not sure what courses they've done. We have several members of DGCD that have joined just to keep up on course design developments and aren't active designers. Jon Lyksett in Idaho is the most experienced DGCD designer in the NW region.

Comment

Well, with the course we are putting in we would love to get some suggestions. if anyone wants to set up a time to look at the course I could meet you at his property and we could walk around?

Comment

Don't forget Todd and I designed "Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali" heh... Can't wait to play it and see if I rock or I suck... But it will improve through time...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
          Brad Huggins of Salem OR and John Conte Pt Orchard WA. Not sure what courses they've done. We have several members of DGCD that have joined just to keep up on course design developments and aren't active designers. Jon Lyksett in Idaho is the most experienced DGCD designer in the NW region.
          Im not sure of his exact role, but I know John Conte had a hand in NAD Park. Until recently he was the President of West Sound Disc Golf Association.
          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Captain Jack wrote, paraphrased "I can't see why anyone would pay for a course designer. It's not something you can learn in school, its something you learn by playing courses. There is no DEGREE FOR THIS,, there is no skill needed to figure out where to put holes, just imagination"

Lots of people get paid loads of $ for using their imaginations, or is it their skills.
            How do YOU divide the two?
            Last edited by tomw; August 13th, 2009, 06:55 AM. Reason: puctuation, grammer

Comment

Originally posted by tomw View Post
              Captain Jack wrote, paraphrased "I can't see why anyone would pay for a course designer. It's not something you can learn in school, its something you learn by playing courses. There is no DEGREE FOR THIS,, there is no skill needed to figure out where to put holes, just imagination"

Lots of people get paid loads of $ for using their imaginations, or is it their skills.
              How do YOU divide the two?
              I Use both in my job daily and I get paid quite well for it.
              Throw What You Know.
              "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
              PDGA# 45989

Comment

I know that John Conte is out of the picture in the West Sound, but he may pop up in the Seattle area scene.

Paul Wright and Tony Beckett are the Two-headed course design monster of the West Sound. I've talked extensively with Paul about course design, and, coupled with the fact he has been traveling to other States to compete, he has a great deal of knowledge on the subject. He has expressed a love for course design.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                  "Imagination is More Important Than Knowledge"

The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I believe that Brad Huggins had a significant hand in the design of Cascades Gateway here in Salem. My impression at the time (I connected with the group after they were well in to the process) was that it was a group effort. It was a small group and Brad was a big part of it. Say what you will about Cascades limitations but they used every inch of available land, a wide variety of natural obstacles, and created a course with excellent flow. Very competent design.

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post

I bet a ten year old kid with basic disc golf skills could design a course just as well as one of these so called "Professional Course Designers".

?
                      I designed a small 9 hole (5 acre course) with limited resources and only about a year of disc golfing experience. My intention was to build the most difficult and fun course possible with as many unique shots as possible. That being said I paid absolutely no attention to multiple groups using the course at the same time as I didn't anticipate that kind of use, so it probably might not play very well under those circumstances. The most fun and important part of designing the holes consisted of days and weeks of throwing to different natural targets from different tee locations to see wich lines would be the best. The basket and tee ideas were continually improved upon after every natural target round. Looking back on my course design after seeing many other courses and playing more disc golf I am sure I could have improved on quite a few things but it turned out pretty good. It would have been much harder to design a course to handle a regular flow of people. Course design is definitely a skill that is developed through practice. I have way more respect for course design after trying it. It's one of those things that is easy to critique but until you have actually tried it you don't really know how much work and creativity are required for creating a unique, useable, and challenging course.

P.S. The one complaint I heard about my course from anyone who played it was from Captain Jack who didn't like the length of walks from the baskets to the next tee. Other than that though I think it was okay with him.
                      Read this ^

Comment

hey Brian the swamp rat, i'd love to come check out a new gig and give any advice or suggestions that you might be asking for, not everyone see's the same thing, maybe give me a messege if interested,
                        Last edited by SMOKIN JOE; August 14th, 2009, 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                          P.S. The one complaint I heard about my course from anyone who played it was from Captain Jack who didn't like the length of walks from the baskets to the next tee. Other than that though I think it was okay with him.
                          That, and avoiding the horse poop near the barn.

Comment

No free drops from the poop zone
                            Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                              No free drops from the poop zone
                              I'm still trying to find the PDGA ruling for dookie. I mean, ya sure, landing on top is fine, a quick blow off and your disc is good to go, but what about those spike hyzer shots that are half buried ? Are you allowed to knock off the chunks before you throw, or is the disc now a lethal poo flinging weapon ?

Comment

money can't buy it

I've been designing dg courses for over 20 years.
                                My reward for this is watching people play these courses, having a a gudt time and being thanked for what I accomplished.
                                I think it's OK to advertise my skills, knowledge and experience in regards to designing courses.
                                I would have a difficult time recieving dinero for designing alone, but other expenses that go along with this and the actual installing could be negotiable.
                                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                                - Anonymous

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X