X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Ridiculous prices for discs....

Last week on the way to Rocklin DGC down here in Rocklin *near sacramento*... I see the new gas station has a discraft sign out front. I pull in to see what they have just for kicks. The first disc I see on top is a Innova Star Destroyer and a Champ Valk next to it. They got like 4 different companies on 8 racks with a total of about 30-40 discs. I look at the prices on the destroyer and the valk and just about voiced outloud, 'OMFG are you serious'? I turn to the lady at the front and ask her if these prices are for real? She nods her head like "omg he just found a good deal", i was like, "lady, these discs sell for $12-$16, maybe as high as $18 if you really want to rip your customers off". She just got all firm on me "no, that is recomended price"... I laughed, "NO, this is not recomended price" looked through the rest of the discs and left... Some people really make me sick trying to rip people off.
    So here are the prices.
    Star Destroyer - $25.99
    Champ Valk - $23.99
    ESP Avenger - $18.99
    X plastic*forgot which disc it was* - $13.99

Anyone else have a story like this?

I guess the barrel of oil just went up again.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Wow. And I thought $18.99 for Star plastic at DeLaveaga was bad.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Never go to Dick's Sporting goods. There prices are not nearly as bad as that. But DX cost 13 bucks. Champion is 18. And that is the only plastic they have. I went there and was very disappointed.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

Comment

yeah, most every tournament, I get plastic from the depot mark it up 2.00 for the club and still beat the price of discs at the big tournaments by 2.00 on discs, the last one was at star was 17.00 for script, champion 15.00, pro 12.00 , dx was 10.00 wow, I get dx for 5.00 , does that much money really need to be made off the players, what was the script prices for the classic this weekend, I've seen prices that are really high too. most of which paid what we do and then have to mark them up 50% to put on the shelf, and quick stop stores are always high on everything,

Comment

I got a first run Champion Groove for $15 and a Star Monarch (Kansas City Open fundraiser) for $17 from the Albany club last night. Good prices, I thought. I was so pleased with the tournament and the hard work the club put in to making it a great weekend, I joined.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
              Last week on the way to Rocklin DGC down here in Rocklin *near sacramento*... I see the new gas station has a discraft sign out front. I pull in to see what they have just for kicks. The first disc I see on top is a Innova Star Destroyer and a Champ Valk next to it. They got like 4 different companies on 8 racks with a total of about 30-40 discs. I look at the prices on the destroyer and the valk and just about voiced outloud, 'OMFG are you serious'? I turn to the lady at the front and ask her if these prices are for real? She nods her head like "omg he just found a good deal", i was like, "lady, these discs sell for $12-$16, maybe as high as $18 if you really want to rip your customers off". She just got all firm on me "no, that is recomended price"... I laughed, "NO, this is not recomended price" looked through the rest of the discs and left... Some people really make me sick trying to rip people off.
              So here are the prices.
              Star Destroyer - $25.99
              Champ Valk - $23.99
              ESP Avenger - $18.99
              X plastic*forgot which disc it was* - $13.99

Anyone else have a story like this?
              I don't understand how anybody was "ripped off". How much of your money did she take? Was a gun used in this alleged robbery?

I have heard countless times that so and so is ripping people off because they charge too much. Guess what? We live in a free economy. Sellers are free to choose their price and buyers are free to choose where they want to shop. Another basic philosophy of our economy - Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware). It is the buyer's responsibility to know what the fair price is for what he is buying, not the seller's.

Let's assume that your seller continues to sell Star plastic for $25.99. Here are the possible outcomes to that scenario:
              - Shoppers buy discs at that price and the seller becomes successful and keeps prices at that level (or raises them). This proves that the market in that area is able to bear these prices.
              - Shoppers find the price too high and refuse to buy discs from that seller (The market cannot bear the sellers prices). The seller is forced to lower his prices.
              - Shoppers find the price too high and refuse to buy discs from that seller but the seller does not lower his prices. The seller eventually goes out of business.

Don't we have any Economics teachers on here? Somebody back me up, please.

Comment

I agree, the prices are too high, but I also agree with Scott that if anyone buys at that price then they are fine, if they do not buy at that price then they will have to lower it.

Comment

Okay, sure, it's the free market at work. But for people who don't know any better, it's a rip-off.

Also, if someone goes in there having never played before, they're not going to think disc golf is as affordable as it really is.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Then it might be better stated that they are giving a bad impression of the costliness of DG.

Comment

Perhaps it is the person selling the discs that doesn't know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                        Okay, sure, it's the free market at work. But for people who don't know any better, it's a rip-off.
                        Negative. A rip off implies something shady or illegal. Anyone making a purchase without doing their research first deserves what they get.

Also, if someone goes in there having never played before, they're not going to think disc golf is as affordable as it really is.
                        Again... research is key. Even at those prices, DG is WAY cheaper than ball golf.
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I don't know Innova's SRP, but could it be possible that it is like $25 for a star disc?

Comment

I'm sure the people at the gas station aren't trying to rip people off. They probably don't play disc golf and have no idea that most vendors don't sell near msrp. They are probably also adding a convenience percent on top of the msrp. When was the last time you found anything in a gas station cheep? They will find out their prices are too high when they see people browsing the discs, people laughing at the prices, and not purchasing the discs.
                            Current World Rank: 2857th
                            Lowest Rated Round: 777
                            Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                            Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                            Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                            Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                            Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                            Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Negative. A rip off implies something shady or illegal. Anyone making a purchase without doing their research first deserves what they get.
                              Ironic, coming from an Innova fanboy.
                              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X