• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch, the gloves come off!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      Ironic, coming from an Innova fanboy.
      Except... I did my research and went with the superior disc manufacturer and left the wannabe discs for the wannabe disc golfers.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
        Okay, sure, it's the free market at work. But for people who don't know any better, it's a rip-off.
        So What does it say when a retailer who knows the game and it's players still over charges for payout?

The good news is If I were pitching a course or getting crap about ..."How the the Tax payers are footing the bill", you would put these two together and then discuss the DG realities both as consumers (supporting the local economy) and park users (users and stewards).

So The conclusion here is this type of business model "gouging" is acceptable just not very ethical.
        rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Except... I did my research and went with the superior disc manufacturer and left the wannabe discs for the wannabe disc golfers.
          Hmm, sounds like you're operating more on faith than the scientific method.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Tim, I am moving my damned goat.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
              So What does it say when a retailer who knows the game and it's players still over charges for payout?

The good news is If I were pitching a course or getting crap about ..."How the the Tax payers are footing the bill", you would put these two together and then discuss the DG realities both as consumers (supporting the local economy) and park users (users and stewards).

So The conclusion here is this type of business model "gouging" is acceptable just not very ethical.
              I had a hard time understanding what you are trying to say here, so I'll take my best guess.

If you are a TD then feel free to gouge away. The market will either support you, or not. If people stop coming to your events then you will either change your ways or stop running tournaments. If people continue to come to your events then you aren't really gouging them because it's clear that is what the market will bear.

Comment

In Sam's "free market," there is only one brand.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I honestly wish more retailers would charge those prices. Yeah it would be tough to buy discs as often as most of us do, just for the higher prices. However, I and many other people believe it is what our sport needs for real growth. Sure nickles and dimes of profit add up over time, but for major sponsors of our wonderful sport, dollars add up much faster. We don't get sponsors for free, they too are hoping for a return on those invested dollars into our sport.

RAISE YOUR DAMN PRICES!

Comment

Okay, economics ehh?
                    Cheaper prices = more purchased discs = more rookies trying out the sport = more return on investment from those players... which also = more lost discs = rookies finding lost discs and joining the sport based on found discs or player who lost disc buys more discs

Expensive prices = few to none purchased discs = lost chance of introducing rookies = lost ROI = no one finds potential lost disc or player who could have lost disc dosen't buy more discs...

That's the simply put bad english version...
                    However, if raising the prices of discs up a few dollars means more money to the sport and it's major tournaments then great, but if it's going straight to the vendor's wallet with no ROI to the sport then booooo, and guess what, Chevron ain't anywhere close to sponsoring anything Disc Golf related anytime soon.... *oops I said which gas station it was*.....

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                      Okay, economics ehh?
                      Cheaper prices = more purchased discs = more rookies trying out the sport = more return on investment from those players... which also = more lost discs = rookies finding lost discs and joining the sport based on found discs or player who lost disc buys more discs

Expensive prices = few to none purchased discs = lost chance of introducing rookies = lost ROI = no one finds potential lost disc or player who could have lost disc dosen't buy more discs...

That's the simply put bad english version...
                      However, if raising the prices of discs up a few dollars means more money to the sport and it's major tournaments then great, but if it's going straight to the vendor's wallet with no ROI to the sport then booooo, and guess what, Chevron ain't anywhere close to sponsoring anything Disc Golf related anytime soon.... *oops I said which gas station it was*.....

You make a lot of assumptions, such as if the prices are too expensive then people will not buy discs at all. The will, but they will just choose another vendor. This is not a new concept - it has worked in economies around the world for several hundred (or thousand?) years.

And I'm not sure if peppering the courses with lost discs in hopes that a new player will find them is really the most effective way to grow the sport. I'll have to assume you were kidding on that one.

Comment

FYI... Standard price for a Star disc in JNU is 21.99-23.99 and Champion is 19.99-20.99... I believe it is about the same in Anchorage as well.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          You make a lot of assumptions, such as if the prices are too expensive then people will not buy discs at all. The will, but they will just choose another vendor. This is not a new concept - it has worked in economies around the world for several hundred (or thousand?) years.

And I'm not sure if peppering the courses with lost discs in hopes that a new player will find them is really the most effective way to grow the sport. I'll have to assume you were kidding on that one.
                          I meant from that specific vendor and since they are the only vendor in the area........ also as for lost discs, you would be suprised how many people pick up the sport from lost discs finding their way into their hands, but yes i was kidding sort of...

And as for Alaska prices, ouch.... You get free money every year from the oil, so just use that money...

Comment

You're also forgetting something here. Location is everything. Rocklin, outside of Sacramento, is in Kalleeforneeya. The recommended price there might not necessarily be the recommended price here.

As I recall, we went into a small sporting goods shop in Santa Barbara and the prices were a fair amount higher than they were here. And that's not even counting in sales tax....

Comment

LOL... california is not as expensive as they claim... only thing that is slightly higher is rent and it's only maybe $200 more a month than Portland or Salem... everything else is basically the same. Now if it were the Bay Area then that place is ridiclous and I would never live there...

Comment

Almost Scott, The only difference is If the market remains stable (no pun intended) That is enough new players either don't start and/or the established ones stick around.
                                rewindb.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X