Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a trip to Oregon, which courses should I visit?

As the title says I am going to Oregon this next week and am going to be playing some disc golf so which course should I for sure check out? I am traveling up and down I-5 so courses that aren't within 45 minutes of the freeway I will not be able to get to. I have already been to Pier,Timber,Milo,Adair and Willamette and probably will play a couple of those during my trip. I have already planned on playing Whistler's Bend for the first time and I am trying to figure out (through www.discgolforegon.com and www.discgolfcoursereview.com) which other courses are on my way and worth playing and I thought I would throw it out to the Oregonians, so any suggestions?
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Dexter needs to be on that list, if you can get into play Camp Tadmor is also a great little course.
    "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Tadmor's unavailable until at least August 21.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

You must play Trojan! It is beautiful, challenging, fair, gut-wrenching, fun, did I mention beautiful? Imagine SeaTac, only easier, but with water holes, beautiful scenery, and serene silence! I would also recommend Tom Pearce and Lake Selmac!
        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Thank you for all the information. I can't believe no one has said Horning's Hideout yet, this is one everyone tells me I need to go to. I have been looking at Tom Pearce and Lake Selmac as I will be driving down that way anyway, it's good to know you can recommend it. I have a Dragon and an R-Pro hydra waiting for Trojan and I will be getting out the old Lightning Rubber Putter as well as I hear there are more water hazards then any other course on earth.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
            Thank you for all the information. I can't believe no one has said Horning's Hideout yet, this is one everyone tells me I need to go to. I have been looking at Tom Pearce and Lake Selmac as I will be driving down that way anyway, it's good to know you can recommend it. I have a Dragon and an R-Pro hydra waiting for Trojan and I will be getting out the old Lightning Rubber Putter as well as I hear there are more water hazards then any other course on earth.
            Guess what happens when you expect to throw into the water? You go in the water. My advice - Don't switch up your discs, unless you are really familiar with the replacements. Trojan isn't THAT hard, it's just intimidating. It is very risk/reward, you can play it safe and be pretty sucessful.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Guess what happens when you expect to throw into the water? You go in the water. My advice - Don't switch up your discs, unless you are really familiar with the replacements. Trojan isn't THAT hard, it's just intimidating. It is very risk/reward, you can play it safe and be pretty sucessful.
              That's a point Scott, but my four or five favorite discs WILL NOT be thrown as they do not float on water and I am not willing to lose them.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

The floater debate is common, and has no definitive answer. But I say, if you're just visiting, definitely use floating plastic; regulars will have a better feel for the course and know better how to stay out of the drink.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  The floater debate is common, and has no definitive answer. But I say, if you're just visiting, definitely use floating plastic; regulars will have a better feel for the course and know better how to stay out of the drink.
                  *The regulars still have no clue how to stay out of the drink.

Kidding. Managed a dry five over today. Not too shabby. The course was as busy as I've ever seen it (not counting the RCO or TDG). I think there were three or four groups out there today. Busy, busy, busy. How was Pier this morning?
                  TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                    This is a great debate - the crew I throw with decided that going with unfamiliar disc just because they float isn't a good reason to throw discs you don't normally use. Use the discs you're secure with and bring a backup. Don't forget, the greatest distance between T to pin is the width between your ears.
                    educate your thinking

Comment

i would say in the portland area, play hornings hideout, pier park, and trojan.

Also i always play the short course at hornings first to warm up. then play the long course, this allows your midrange game to be in top form for the longer course.

Comment

I love Pier and it's not too far off the freeway and if you're willing to go a little further than 45 minutes off the freeway you should hit Horning's for sure, also my buddies LOVE Dabney...I've never been because of the No Dogs rule.
                        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Thank you everyone for the imput it is much appreciated. Unfortunatly.. well not really unfortunatly, Oregon has so many great courses that I won't get to visit most of them but I think I can get to the ones mentioned here in the small amount of time available to me to play. This trip is not all disc golf so it's not like I have four or five days of just driving around Oregon playing courses or I would get to them all but I will get to the really great ones, thanks everyone.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Selmac is a very nice course. Tom Pierce gets hard in the back nine. If you want something a little shorter, go into Grants Pass and play Riverfront.

Here in Portland, you might try Orchards Park, Rockwood (the city's oldest), or Vance. Horning's is a good course as well, and I like McMenamin's Grand Lodge (Hole 10 is fun!) , which are all nine hole courses.

On the way to Portland, you might consider Woodmansie or Cascade Gateway in Salem. If you get up to Vancouver, you might want to go to Leverich.

Comment

OK come on, now we're just listing off courses. Do you really think we should recommend Vance, Rockwood, Leverich or Grand Lodge to someone looking for the best Oregon (+ SW WA) courses? Not that they are bad, but are they the best we have to offer? Even Skyline in Cathlamet is certainly better than any of the aforementioned, and that didn't even come out the way I meant it - Skyline is great!
                              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X