X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy on the eyes

Playing to improve and concentrating on my golf game I had not recently been paying attention to one of the major factors that got me hooked on this game. This is the beauty of some of the courses we are so lucky to find ourselves surrounded by from time to time. The landscape around the course can be much more enjoyable than the course itself.

What is the most beautiful piece of land you have been able to play golf on.

My vote is for NAD. I grew up with woods much like the ones that house the baskets in bremerton. Those trees and shrubbs and terain make a great day of observing, throwing the occasional disc too.
    Have fun!
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Lucky Mud. Nothing else is even close.

Other courses noted for their beauty: Milo, Pier, Champoeg, and many others. We are very fortunate to live in the NW where natural beauty is assumed.

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
      What is the most beautiful piece of land you have been able to play golf on.
      Tough but good question.

I can think of several places that would qualify but I'm going with Trojan. At certain times of the year and with the lighting conditions illuminating the lake just right, it is the most picturesque disc golf course I have played. If you've been there when the green stuff spreads out covering the lake and reflecting the early afternoon sunlight you know what I mean. It rates fairly well as far as wildlife goes too. I've seen a couple pretty big turtles out there among other things.

Comment

Whistler's Bend. Nothing else is even close.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I am going to go with Crystal Mountain, the views are spectatular!
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I would have to say Rooster Rock or North Bonneville for great views no matter what the season is and the fall would be my best time to be playing up there.
            X - Man

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
              Whistler's Bend. Nothing else is even close.
              Ditto

Comment

Awesome question! For me, Trojan, the Mud, and 's Bend are the Top 3. However, I don't know that I could rank them, individually. I was very fortunate to play both the Mud and Trojan in the snow, which was AMAZING! I would like to make it back to 's once again to see how its beauty stacks up - I've only been once, but it made one heck of an impression...
                TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Mt. Bachelor for views. I love taking the lift up and and seeing the south sister so close, as well as hundreds of lakes in the valley below.

Fountain Hills, Az, for water on a course. It's like a larger trojan, not as natural as trojan, but way more manicured.

Deven's Hill, Ma, for natural terrain integration. Phenomenal job of designing the course with the terrain, rather than against it! Also, has the best tee signs I've seen, which is necessary when some of the shots go up or down by as much as 90' in elevation! If you're in the Boston area and want to get your disc on, I would highly suggest that you go to Devens Hill instead of Maple Hill!

Pier Park, for wooded beauty. I know it's in town and all, but playing Pier just as dusk falls is one of the most beautiful experiences in all of disc golf for me. The casual players vacate the course, and the sun's last beams of light penetrate the forest canopy in shards, add a little fog to that and I often stop golfing and just stare.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Olson View Post
                    Tough but good question.

I can think of several places that would qualify but I'm going with Trojan. At certain times of the year and with the lighting conditions illuminating the lake just right, it is the most picturesque disc golf course I have played. If you've been there when the green stuff spreads out covering the lake and reflecting the early afternoon sunlight you know what I mean. It rates fairly well as far as wildlife goes too. I've seen a couple pretty big turtles out there among other things.
                    Agreed. My favorite time to play Trojan is early summer in the evening. I wish Crider still had his Oregon Disc Golf video up. That video shows Trojan at its best in my opinion.
                    Current World Rank: 2857th
                    Lowest Rated Round: 777
                    Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                    Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                    Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                    Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                    Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                    Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                      Pier Park, for wooded beauty. I know it's in town and all, but playing Pier just as dusk falls is one of the most beautiful experiences in all of disc golf for me. The casual players vacate the course, and the sun's last beams of light penetrate the forest canopy in shards, add a little fog to that and I often stop golfing and just stare.
                      For me, it's very early in the morning. I like to show up at 6:00 AM and get a couple of rounds in before anyone else shows up. The filtered sunlight on the forest floor is amazing.

Comment

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Rockwood. If you step to the left of the heroin needle on the ground by the practice basket at just the right time of day, you can see the passed out drunks basking in the unfiltered sunlight by the basketball courts. In the past it has been a breathtaking view for me. I am not sure if it was the smell from the bathrooms that took my breath or the view, but either way it is magical.

Ok Pier park is serene for me. I enjoy the llight from the canopy and I just feel right when I am there.
                        Last edited by Brian; August 6th, 2009, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                          I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Rockwood. If you step to the left of the heroin needle on the ground by the practice basket at just the right time of day, you can see the passed out drunks basking in the unfiltered sunlight by the basketball courts. In the past it has been a breathtaking view for me. I am not sure if it was the smell from the bathrooms that took my breath or the view, but either way it is magical.
                          Can we please stay within the spirit of this excellent topic?

Pretty please?

Comment

Eye of the beholder, eh?

I'm too biased to say, most likely. But then again, there are times when the light can make good better. Hittin' it right, and there's nothing you can say or your camera can repeat. For me, it's our 13th hole, between showers, just before sunset around the equinoxes. That slanting light through the trees, and that herd of elk with the big bull going up the hill behind the basket... You had to be there.
                            Last edited by Ol' Bob; August 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM.
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

My personal favorite up here is NAD since it reminds me so much of my old hometown - Big Basin Park in Santa Cruz Mountains. I can just see the waterfalls running down part of the paths between the baskets.. (alright.. I'm dreaming!)
                              I do love Horning's Hideout Canyon course - the ones that are in the wooded area is my personal favorites.. the shelter from the sun, but at the same time - the greens from the trees and crazy bushes.
                              Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                              DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X