Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 day one event, pdga or not don't care, lets get the state champoinships back on track, I'm willing to help or t.d. or anything, thanks again Kieth hopefully we can get this thing done and get a good format for deciding a champion

Comment

Somebody should check with Jerry Miller to see if he plans on holding a State Championship this year as he has in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Somebody should check with Jerry Miller to see if he plans on holding a State Championship this year as he has in the past.
        I really don't think we need to ask for Jerry's permission, since he hasn't done it in a few years. Now, having him be involved in some fashion... that I have no problem with.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
          Heh... Jub complaining about divisive crap. Heh. How ironical
          I am as surprised as you are ladies and gentlemen

But still The questions remain

Smokin Is your suggestion of Qualifiers not the same as mine?
          rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
            I really don't think we need to ask for Jerry's permission, since he hasn't done it in a few years. Now, having him be involved in some fashion... that I have no problem with.
            Not sure when he had done it last. Frankly, it's been done on such a small scale that I barely rememeber them.

However, condsider this scenario: Keith decides to hold a SC event in October. Jerry gets wind of it and decides to hold his own event a week earlier. Different players win each event - which one is our state champion?

Keeping Jerry in the loop will simplify things.

Comment

Jub thanks I love your input but the times are changing and the way it use to be is over Im just trying to push this along and see what other people think. I know that we cant please every player and I know that I have troubles wanting to change but at least im trying. Sorry but a state championship is for the players who live in that state why would you want to come to Oregon and compete for that title. I dont get people when they say it should be open to all players. Im sure someone at the PDGA would understand that a state is trying to find out who is there best players in all divisions. If you look into other sports who have a state championship its only players from that state not others states.

This title is not the same as the Oregon series champion that is a player who competes in a series and point system. Who is looking to compete on the national level or to say they are the best series champion in the state. the Oregon state disc golf championship is one event to crown the best player for his or her division for the year. there are several other events for the sport in the state besides the series you have winter serie,summer series and team disc golf and non pdga events plus you have players who dont compete in those events and some course have weekly events so thats why you have a state championship to see who is the best player not just who the best PDGA player. this is truly a event for all who play disc golf in the state no matter what event they compete in.

This event is not on the schedual and its time to see a change in format and TD,s. I think it would be best for a club to take it on because each region has there own club and it will make it easyer to move around the state. it should never be at the same place each year to show off all the great courses in the state plus to get more people invold in the state event. In the past there has been hard fillings to where and who ran the event so this format would be the best way to change that feeling. No one has the rights to running the state event and Jerry has done a great job in the past but even he is tired and can see how the sport must grow and change.
              X - Man

Comment

Darn. Nobody liked the match to skins to singles play format? Where's Rideout to help me articulate what I'm trying to say...
                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
                  Darn. Nobody liked the match to skins to singles play format? Where's Rideout to help me articulate what I'm trying to say...
                  My wallet liked it very much, thank you!

Comment

KSB
                    So What you are saying is the Touring players get all the spot light but might not be the best players in their division? Correct?

I want to use the Name Lance as typical DG in ORE
                    So, Players like Lance who does not play a whole lot of tour events might be the best Open Master, Maybe Open player who goes unrecognized? Not to throw Lance under the bus but Why does he not play more? Does he have a life apart from DG? (If so, Great for him! The sport needs more players who do it for fun not the competition) Maybe financial reasons kept him form showing his skills. It really does not matter why it's just he has decided not to play as often as others do. So Now we need to offer an entirely different Event to attract the Lances of the state.

And The ORE SC has been non sanctioned and local (at your home course no less) I am curious why don't you support the current event. It already has most of your points included. Residents only, Non Member or Sanctioned, All divisions. What's left? The only thing left is the TD.
                    rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                      KSB
                      So What you are saying is the Touring players get all the spot light but might not be the best players in their division? Correct?

I want to use the Name Lance as typical DG in ORE
                      So, Players like Lance who does not play a whole lot of tour events might be the best Open Master, Maybe Open player who goes unrecognized? Not to throw Lance under the bus but Why does he not play more? Does he have a life apart from DG? (If so, Great for him! The sport needs more players who do it for fun not the competition) Maybe financial reasons kept him form showing his skills. It really does not matter why it's just he has decided not to play as often as others do. So Now we need to offer an entirely different Event to attract the Lances of the state.

And The ORE SC has been non sanctioned and local (at your home course no less) I am curious why don't you support the current event. It already has most of your points included. Residents only, Non Member or Sanctioned, All divisions. What's left? The only thing left is the TD.
                      Jub you must be on drugs and dont get the point. The state event is for all levels of players in the state not just one group. The only reason to make the state championship PDGA is for the insurance and plus it brings in some of the players who only play pdga events and in Oregon you need insurance at most courses. we dont carry the million dollar insurance policy down here for each course like you do up there.

Jub lance and I would come up there to kick your ass but its not worth our time. I think you need a good ass kicking so I will give HERM a call so he can take care of some light work for us.
                      X - Man

Comment

So I just finished reading through all the posts and have a couple of thoughts.

I live in Vancouver. I consider myself a Washingtonian, however, I belong to Stumptown Disc Golf, play a heck of a lot of golf in the state of Oregon, and have contributed to the disc golf community in the Portland-Metro Area. So just because I live across the river I'm not allowed to participate in a tourney where most of my disc golf community live?

Second, I don't understand not having qualifying events to gain entry into a championship. It seems to make the most sense. If you are trying to determine who the best disc golfer is in the state of Oregon you would want to give everyone a chance to participate, however not every disc golfer in the state of Oregon is going to be able to play in a 2 day event. Having qualifying events would allow the opportunity for the best disc golfers from around the state to qualify for the state Championship, similar to what you would see in a high school sports. I liked Bob's idea of regions, those regions could hold events where players could earn a spot in the state championship based off criteria. You would then have the top qualified players in the championship. If I didn't make the event because I failed to qualify I would be more willing to be a spectator to watch the event and try that much harder next time. By holding one event and calling it the state championship is just a name it has no real meaning to me it would be like me having an event in Vancouver and calling it the SW Washington Championship, which wouldn't be that impressive.

Finally, I can see both sides of the PDGA and non-PDGA argument, I think the important thing would be to make sure that the event is as legit as possible. That there will be standards to keep the play fair and rules clear. I do believe it is important to have the insurance in place and not just a token plan (see Beaver State Fling for the significance of insurance). Currently there is not a better option for assuring that these standards are held except through the PDGA. Until there is another option that is recognized not just at the state level but at the national/world then I think you go with the standard.

Just some thoughts
                        Member of Stumptown DG #82
                        Member of PDGA #34367

Comment

sorry you live in Washington, does it really make sence to have the Oregon champion from Finland, Florida, China, one of the things we did in the past for these instances was we had an out of state champion trophy on the line for those still wanting to play but weren't from Oregon, do agree with all the golfers we have now to have some sort of qualifing,

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
                            sorry you live in Washington, does it really make sence to have the Oregon champion from Finland, Florida, China, one of the things we did in the past for these instances was we had an out of state champion trophy on the line for those still wanting to play but weren't from Oregon, do agree with all the golfers we have now to have some sort of qualifing,
                            What does it matter who carries the trophy home, the top finishing player from Oregon is the Best Player in Oregon period. Look at any other disc golf tournament labeled the XXX State Championships and you will see that people from different states were competing. That is why it will be hard for Stumptown to get behind something like this as we would have to alienate part of our membership for the event.

It would be like in Kansas City, a city split by the borders of Missouri and Kansas not allowing one or the other state to compete in a State Championship type event. They would be splitting their club in half just to crown a State Champion under the rules presented in this thread.
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

then why call it the Oregon State Championships, the whole point is the state of Oregon, so if someone who has never been to Oregon comes and wins you would have no problem with the trophy hanging on the wall in Berlin, what's wrong with an out of state champion trophy, so if we have an Oregon team for team golf someone from Washington could be on it, it's not a true state championship if people from outside the state or competing for the crown, I don't know why you would want to be a state champion from a state you don't reside, don't you have a club championship for your club members, still don't understand why someone would be upset by where they choose to live, or by what club they belong to, I'm a very good pool player got just as many trophies there, when trying to win a yearly spot in vages you qualify by were you live, no one from outside the state is at the beach trying to be the state champion, first you have to play yourself out of your county, then you move up to state, then you move on to nationals, bob's way is alot like that, sounds good to me qualify from your area, then move up to the finals, still back to the same thing why would you want to be a champion from a state in which you don't reside

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
                                I'm not saying it should be or has to be open for anyone because I do agree with trying to crown a Oregon Champion, but if you went by say regions, the Portland-metro could include SW Washington (Portland already considers us part of itself anyway). And really it isn't that big a deal, it is just a thought.
                                Member of Stumptown DG #82
                                Member of PDGA #34367

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X