Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bullseye thanks for the input and to all who has been talking with me today. Okay lets say make it a PDGA event one weekend. that seems to please the players who play in the Oregon series and I will run this by some of the players who dont read the forum. Some of you also brought up having series but the main issue with that is it would have to be for Oregon players only to be able to do a fair point system. Also its makes it harder for anyone person who would want to run a state event because of all the added work to do the points.

I have been keeping a log going so far 7 people for pdga and 14 for non - pdga and 7 people for a series and 14 for one weekend event. some players dont get on the forum let alone even have a computer so keep this in mind.

Im truly serious about getting this right for all the Oregon players not just one side because we have alot of different players in this state and we all should see both sides of the coin before we take one side or another. This is why I started this thread to see what we can come up with because we need a great state disc golf championship. I AM willing to help and I have two sponsors that want to help in a big way and they our reading this thread also so please keep that in mind when you are posting. My other thought and this is one that I have had for years is to have this event open to all disc golf venders to set up booths no matter what they sell for the sport. Its nice to have several vendors to pick from not just one or two plus not every vendor sells the same stuff. Plus this event would be good for ANY groups or people running tournaments to do surveys or advertise for up coming events or even the next year. so keep it coming alot of good input so far and I hope to see what some older players think like that old dog LANCE Redfern or Bruce Sission.
    X - Man

Comment

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
      Over the hill Bob thanks for the input alot you said makes sense but having a series is not it. a state championship is one event and all types of players from around the state should compete for the title. they should not have to play in series to have the right to compete for the state title. the state championship should be who is the best player to show up and win that weekend. Anyone can win any given weekend but why have a series and still play that one weekend to see who the best. Also by not having a series you will have more players in the pool because some players cant play every event or even some events to make it a series so why should those players been turned away from having a shot at the state finals.
      Keith, we really disagree on the series vs a single event idea. If we should choose to make it a single event, as you suggest, then we have the problem solved already. This weekend is the Calapooia Classic and the winner of that is then the Oregon State Champion. Done deal! Right?

PDGA or Non-PDGA? Include my vote for PDGA Sanctioned. It's a crazy world we live in these days and if I were to be in any way involved with working on this event (not saying I am), I would not do it without covering my arse with PDGA sanctioning and Insurance.

Bob

Comment

Keith, There is no way that anyone can have an event that will make everyone happy.
        But the fact that these discussions are even taking place is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Keith, There is no way that anyone can have an event that will make everyone happy.
          But the fact that these discussions are even taking place is a step in the right direction.
          I agree you can't make every one happy. however you can make it so every one has a great time and goes away feeling that who ever wins the title won the title. I believe we started playing this game because it was fun.
          Throw What You Know.
          "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
          PDGA# 45989

Comment

Bob trust me I get what you are saying if you were to call that event the state championships and advertise it that way thats great but its not so it does not work.WE dont need the PDGA to cover our ass why would you say you need your ass covered by them. depending on were the event is you might need the insurance but besides that what else do you need them to cover your ass on. are you worried about points or maybe your players rating that means nothing for a state championship so what else.
            X - Man

Comment

Bob trust me I get what you are saying if you were to call that event the state championships and advertise it that way thats great but its not so it does not work.WE dont need the PDGA to cover our ass why would you say you need your ass covered by them. depending on were the event is you might need the insurance but besides that what else do you need them to cover your ass on. are you worried about points or maybe your players rating that means nothing for a state championship so what else.
              Ok, maybe if you have the event at the "right" park, you wouldn't need extra insurance. As for protecting my rating? I'll put my 753 PDGA rating on the line anywhere, any place, any time.

Why so anti PDGA Keith? It's already been pointed out that it really isn't a finacial burden. You've started a great discussion but seem to have already made up your mind that it HAS to be a 1 day event AND that it HAS to be non-PDGA.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                Ok, maybe if you have the event at the "right" park, you wouldn't need extra insurance. As for protecting my rating? I'll put my 753 PDGA rating on the line anywhere, any place, any time.

Why so anti PDGA Keith? It's already been pointed out that it really isn't a finacial burden. You've started a great discussion but seem to have already made up your mind that it HAS to be a 1 day event AND that it HAS to be non-PDGA.

Bob
                sorry Bob Im saying number one a two day event not one day and yes that it being a Pdga event will cost more money its $3 for paid members and $10 dollars non memebers so if you had say 100 players or more that much money would be about $700 to $800 dollars for that much money you could buy that course a million dollar insurance policy. thats what it cost us for policy for Sea-tac when I lived up there and that was for the whole year. Im not anti Pdga and this is my problem with it being a PDGA event is Oregon money goes out to them and what do we get in return (thats if we dont need the insurance) we could use that money for the event or return it to the home course for up keep or even a insurance policy that would cover any event all year long. I have always looked at the money side of it since I have raised over 100,000 for putting in courses and event donation. If the event is the Oregon state championships and you dont need points or players rating or insurance than why make it pdga and send that money away.plus Im not the only person who thinks this way so please see were im coming from and dont make it seem as anti pdga because I always think oregon first thats why we have so many courses to choose from.
                X - Man

Comment

1 vote for a single two day event.

Comment

Another vote for a single, two day PDGA sanctioned event.

For those that are a fan of a series determining the state champion, a series is not used to determine the US Champion, the Worlds Champion, the European Champion, etc, etc.

Comment

since it is out there you guys or gals please give me more input about why it should be a PDGA event since some of you want it to be one. Like I said before lets hear all sides of the coin nothing is in stone. I had one person that does not get on the forum say why should I pay $10 and a paid member only pays $3 to play in the event because it would cost a non member more. That is one thing that was brought up by him I did not even catch that till he brought it up.

I have been on the phone and the forum almost all day trying to work this out so keep the ideals coming.
                      X - Man

Comment

Ok i've changed my mind about a series but why only two days this IS the Oregon title we're talking about. Put me down for a Three day single tourniment.
                        As for PDGA I'm staying Neutral but I'm good either way.
                        Throw What You Know.
                        "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                        PDGA# 45989

Comment

Two days- one event- PDGA.

Comment

Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post
                            Another vote for a single, two day PDGA sanctioned event.

For those that are a fan of a series determining the state champion, a series is not used to determine the US Champion, the Worlds Champion, the European Champion, etc, etc.
                            (I Assuming you are talking about Disc Golf Events, if referring to PGA events similar criteria is required)
                            This may be true but you also need to be a member of the PDGA to compete, you must also qualify based on previous play in the case of the World Championships and US Championships!!!!

Keith, I see what you want to do but there is a definite difference in the reason PDGA members play events and why non-members play events. I can see that just from my limited experience in this community. I always hear the non-pdga crowd commenting on the loss of payout due to the PDGA while the PDGA crowd is commenting on lack of results and history of events at a central location. It seems like it comes down to glory vs money!!! Also with the PDGA there is an understanding that the event has insurance coverage, in a non-sanctioned event the players have to assume the event is non-insured until the TD can provide proof of insurance!

So what if 600 disc golfers sign up for this Oregon State Championship who gets in and who is on the sidelines? If you have to qualify to attend it will become very obvious what your field size can be based on the qualification criteria. If there is no qualification criteria how can you honestly crown a champion on that weekend if everyone who wanted to compete can't due to field size limitation?

How many divisions will be crowned a champion? Is this going to be similar to the Disc Golf World Championships where every division has a champion or is it going to be more like the US Disc Golf Championships where there is only one division for all players?

I like the idea of multiple vendors at the event that should always be the case, but do the vendors have to be from Oregon since the players may have to be only from Oregon?
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

since it is out there you guys or gals please give me more input about why it should be a PDGA event since some of you want it to be one. Like I said before lets hear all sides of the coin nothing is in stone. I had one person that does not get on the forum say why should I pay $10 and a paid member only pays $3 to play in the event because it would cost a non member more. That is one thing that was brought up by him I did not even catch that till he brought it up.
                              How can this even be confirmed? If I am a member of the PDGA as an Amateur and I play two events all year and one of them is the Oregon State Championships which was decided to be sanctioned then my membership of $50 is split between two events and it cost me $25.00 to the non-members $10.00!!!

Also the $3 is only for a B tier event a C tier is $2 and an A-Tier is $4 but you must be a full member to compete in that level of event.

The $10.00 dollars goes toward the insurance costs, the web hosting costs to keep the results online forever and their basic PDGA membership which includes the generation of a packet to be sent to the individual(if this is their first event with the PDGA) which includes a mini marker with their new PDGA# on it and a rule book. They also can get a discount on their full membership with the PDGA with their partial membership should they choose to sign up for the full membership.
                              PDGA #25296
                              Stumptown #34

Comment

Flash,
                                You stated that the $10 goes towards insurance. I was under the impression the insurance is NOT part of the $10 non-PDGA member fee. The TD pays that as an additional fee- or that's the way it used to be. Did I misunderstand your post or have things changed?
                                I'm not against the $10 fee, but I just think you misstated it's use.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X