Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDGA sanctioning adds credibility and accountability to the event.
    Will the $10.00 fee really keep someone from cometing in their state championship?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      PDGA sanctioning adds credibility and accountability to the event.
      Will the $10.00 fee really keep someone from cometing in their state championship?
      Scott I dont believe if you host a event that is not PDGA that it has no credibilty or accountability. That is up to the players who compete and the TD
      PLUS ITS MORE THAN $10 PER PLAYER THERE ARE OTHER FEES THAT GO TO THE PDGA. So why not keep that money to use for the event like great trophys and bigger pay outs so if you had 100 players that would be $1,000 more to use for the event.
      X - Man

Comment

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
        Scott I dont believe if you host a event that is not PDGA that it has no credibilty or accountability. That is up to the players who compete and the TD
        PLUS ITS MORE THAN $10 PER PLAYER THERE ARE OTHER FEES THAT GO TO THE PDGA. So why not keep that money to use for the event like great trophys and bigger pay outs so if you had 100 players that would be $1,000 more to use for the event.

PDGA tournaments require a specific amount of added cash, depending on the tier. This would more than make up for any fees.

PDGA tournaments require TDs to post results in a timely manner.

PDGA tournaments require TDs to submit a TD report, explaining how money was paid out.

Non-PDGA tournaments require none of these things.

By they way... Can you tell me who our state champions for the last five years are? You don't have to name all divisions, just Open would be fine.
        (If they were PDGA events, the results would be very easy to find).

Comment

PDGA tournaments require a specific amount of added cash, depending on the tier. This would more than make up for any fees.

PDGA tournaments require TDs to post results in a timely manner.

PDGA tournaments require TDs to submit a TD report, explaining how money was paid out.

Non-PDGA tournaments require none of these things.

By they way... Can you tell me who our state champions for the last five years are? You don't have to name all divisions, just Open would be fine.
          (If they were PDGA events, the results would be very easy to find).
          Scott your right about how the events are run different but what Im saying is forget how it was done in the past that is the problem. We need to find a new event and a way to set new grounds for the event.

I have played for awhile now and have played in all kinds of events and making the event PDGA does not make it better to me because I have played in those events before you even started playing and they our no different than none PDGA events. WE ALL REQUIRE THE TD to do all those things and hope they are straight foward about the money. We can do those same things and have a report of how the money was spent.

Scott how many events have you run any?
          X - Man

Comment

Scott your right about how the events are run different but what Im saying is forget how it was done in the past that is the problem. We need to find a new event and a way to set new grounds for the event.

I have played for awhile now and have played in all kinds of events and making the event PDGA does not make it better to me because I have played in those events before you even started playing and they our no different than none PDGA events. WE ALL REQUIRE THE TD to do all those things and hope they are straight foward about the money. We can do those same things and have a report of how the money was spent.

Scott how many events have you run any?
            I am the opposite side of your coin. I have attended both PDGA events and non-PDGA events and for the most part have had better experiences at PDGA events.

To answer your question: None. Does that mean I am no longer qualified to participate in this discussion?

Comment

I am the opposite side of your coin. I have attended both PDGA events and non-PDGA events and for the most part have had better experiences at PDGA events.

To answer your question: None. Does that mean I am no longer qualified to participate in this discussion?
              Scott not at all I was wondering if you had or not that tells me alot about who Im talking with I do not know you by your forum name. But once again I say its the past and we need to move forward on a standard for running a state championship. Lets make it easy and remove the old argument and come up with ideals that we can bounce off each other. lets try the were,when and who wants to help then we can come back to non - Pdga or Pdga.

I have talk to few people about this who dont bother with this forum or who get on a computer now im trying to get ideals from people on the forum to see what they can come up with and see what will work and who wants to help so lets try this.
              X - Man

Comment

I would like to see it rotate around the state from year to year, including eventually being held in Pendleton at their new course. I also would like to see the local clubs sponsor/host/td the event. A traveling trophy would be pretty neat as well.
                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Magilla I talk to you about why the old times dont show up and why I dont play the series any more its because you need to seperate the pro event from the Am events they are to big look how fast the events field up this year and most of the players are ams. Most of us old timers dont want to wait in huge groups on the tee and have a slow pace thats not how they do it in ball golf for the pro players. Its time to seperate the skill players from the Ams and its not a slam to the Am players about what im saying here.
                  I have talked to MANY different people about splitting Pro & Am weekends.

Some have been open to the idea...others more reserved.

The UDA (Umpqua Disc Assoc) has intentions to split next years event into 2 events in the slot of this years GNW.

For example..Lava Launch & IncrediBowl will have seperate flights fror ALL PROS & AMS

We can not force a TD or Club to hold 2 events.... I wish they would just see the advantages and give it a try...if it doesnt work out then go back to Pro/Am the next time.

Comment

Ok, I'll go ahead and chime in here! I'm still trying to think this thing through, and I agree with a lot that has been said and don't agree with some that has been said. Like I said I'm still trying to get my head around all of this. Here are some of my thoughts at this time.

An Oregon State Champion should be just that, an Oregon Champion and not a "Close to Oregon" Champion. Sorry to the Couv!

I'm not sure of another sport that crowns a champion on just one event. It should be multiple events leading up to a Championship.

Our disc golf demographics to me show four distinct areas: PDX/Metro, Mid Willamette Valley, Southern Oregon, and Central Oregon. Sure there are players in other areas of the state but these are the main ones. A player from Coos Bay would play in Southern Oregon, a player from Astoria would play in PDX/Metro, a player from Baker would play for Central, and so on.

Each area would hold 3 quailifying events in the spring/summer, in there area. Others may attend but only players from that area score points toward qualifying for "State" in that area. In the fall we hold the Oregon State Championships and crown a State Champion. Each regional event would hold back fee's to go toward trophies.

So this is where my mind wandering ends for now. Off to get lunch!

Bob

Comment

I realize I am new these forums and have never played in a DG tournament; however, I do have lots of experience with other types of tourneys. The idea of a series or round robin style tournament to determine an Oregon Champion is in my opinion one of the better ways. Multiple venues in different parts of the state create a varied playing experience for all involved. It spreads the work around and exposes DGers to new courses and new people. To be the Champion you would have to the best score of the series (however, the scoring is worked). As to the inclusion of “Non-natives,” how many people from Washington or Idaho are going to want to go to Grants Pass or K-falls? A good mix of East-West and North-South courses will keep the number of “Non-natives” to a minimum. And, if by chance there is a “Non-native” that got to the required number of events and scores good enough to win, us “Natives” will just have to deal with it and beat the pants off them next year.
                      Last edited by Uhlman; August 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM. Reason: grammer
                      Throw What You Know.
                      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                      PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                        Ok, Our disc golf demographics to me show four distinct areas: PDX/Metro, Mid Willamette Valley, Southern Oregon, and Central Oregon. Sure there are players in other areas of the state but these are the main ones. A player from Coos Bay would play in Southern Oregon, a player from Astoria would play in PDX/Metro, a player from Baker would play for Central, and so on.
                        I thought Baker was in Eastern Oregon When did they move Baker?
                        Throw What You Know.
                        "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                        PDGA# 45989

Comment

I agree Uhlman. I've been trying to be patient with the valley folk ever since I moved here from PR. Most of them don't realize that Eastern Oregon is another few hours east of where they thought it was.
                          Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Over the hill Bob thanks for the input alot you said makes sense but having a series is not it. a state championship is one event and all types of players from around the state should compete for the title. they should not have to play in series to have the right to compete for the state title. the state championship should be who is the best player to show up and win that weekend. Anyone can win any given weekend but why have a series and still play that one weekend to see who the best. Also by not having a series you will have more players in the pool because some players cant play every event or even some events to make it a series so why should those players been turned away from having a shot at the state finals.
                            X - Man

Comment

I agree that we definitely need a legitimate state championship. In fact, a while back I had mentioned using Oregon Series events as qualifiers for a state championship, much in the way the USDGC awards positions. I still think that would be a great way to do it, but with people thinking more along the lines of making it strictly for Oregon golfers that might not be the best way to do it.

However, with all due respect to Keith and his opinions, I definitely think this event should be PDGA sanctioned. In addition to the obvious insurance reasons, sanctioning an event adds another level of credibility that non-sanctioned events generally do not reach. Also, this sport is growing rapidly and sanctioned events are getting more and more popular. I know I would be more inclined to both play in, or help run the event if it were sanctioned.

As for costs, having recently been involved in running the Rose City Open (B- Tier) I can say that the fees are pretty reasonable. $3 from each entry fee goes to the PDGA if the player is a member, if the player is not a PDGA member it is a flat $10 fee.
                              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I would like to see an event like this be PDGA sanctioned. If i'm going to commit a weekend to playing a serious tournament I want my rounds rated. I like how tournament data for PDGA events stays online forever. I can't pull up results for any non sanctioned tournaments I've played and it sucks. Unsanctioned tournaments are hard for me to take seriously.
                                Current World Rank: 2857th
                                Lowest Rated Round: 777
                                Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                                Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                                Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                                Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                                Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                                Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X