X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon state disc golf championships

What happen is no one running the Oregon state disc golf championships this year. I thought I saw on the schedual early this year that it was going to be at Milo. ?

I saw there is a flying disc championship but that is part of the NW series not a true state championship because they let out of state players compete. That is not how you have a true state championship plus we need to have a real event.

WE need someone to step up and run a two day event for disc golf only and for Oregon players who have lived in the State for 6 months or longer. Any one step up maybe Sam could run it and have it any where in Oregon even a club could do this. Its time for someone new to step up and run this event we used to have one of the longest running state championships in the country but died off some where in the mid 90s plus it use to be overalls that had other events besides disc golf. No one holds the rights to this event but I have ask and waited for other people or groups to step up.

Im willing to help but I dont want to TD the event or pick the park. some of us old timers have wanted to see this event move around the state every year. besides the portland area the only other area to host this event was the Corvalis club when Pat was still in Oregon. so someone come on step up us old Oregon players will back you.
    X - Man

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
    What happen is no one running the Oregon state disc golf championships this year. I thought I saw on the schedual early this year that it was going to be at Milo. ?

I saw there is a flying disc championship but that is part of the NW series not a true state championship because they let out of state players compete. That is not how you have a true state championship plus we need to have a real event.

WE need someone to step up and run a two day event for disc golf only and for Oregon players who have lived in the State for 6 months or longer. Any one step up maybe Sam could run it and have it any where in Oregon even a club could do this. Its time for someone new to step up and run this event we used to have one of the longest running state championships in the country but died off some where in the mid 90s plus it use to be overalls that had other events besides disc golf. No one holds the rights to this event but I have ask and waited for other people or groups to step up.

Im willing to help but I dont want to TD the event or pick the park. some of us old timers have wanted to see this event move around the state every year. besides the portland area the only other area to host this event was the Corvalis club when Pat was still in Oregon. so someone come on step up us old Oregon players will back you.
    Uh..The last time someone mentioned runing a State Championships....there was an uproar over WHO had the rights to do so..............

Question....WHY would you only allow people from the state to play?

Just state that the HIGHEST finisher from the state is the champ & that no one from out of state can win the title.

IMO - If the event is not PDGA Sanctioned then the "title" is worthless....and to be a PDGA event you can not exclude ANYONE...any Tom, Dick and Harry can run an event and call it anything they want...that doesnt say much.

Ive been asking the "OLD" players to step up and play MORE events...Ive asked what it would take to get the "OLD" guys back into the fold......

In 4 yrs, I have had ZERO input.........thanks "OLD" guys....where are YOU!

Comment

I've always thought that a single event to decide a state champion is kind of silly. We have many talented players in this state, and there are several that could win on any given weekend. A state champion should have to demonstate excellence on several courses throughout the course of the year. In my mind, the winner of the Oregon Series is the state champion. It would be nice to have someone (or a group of someones) take ownership of the OS and make this so.

Comment

Why is the title worthless if it's not PDGA? Personally, I feel like something that's a "state championship" should be sanctioned, but I don't think it makes the title any less valuable if it's not. I know in earlier days, the WA state championships and OR state championships were coordinated to be on the same weekend so that out of staters couldn't take the trophy. The trophy going to the highest finishing state resident is a good solution, though there'd be something kinda deflating about finishing in 10th place but being the "champion."
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          I've always thought that a single event to decide a state champion is kind of silly.
          It works for the World and the US, why not the state too?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            It works for the World and the US, why not the state too?
            Good point.

I base my opinion on the fact that in the time I've been playing, I have yet to see a meaningful state championship. There have been state championship tournamnets in this time, but they are usually announced a week or two before and are poorly advertised. As a result, the field is small and not truly representative of the state.

A properly run/advertised/sponsored tournament would be a great thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              The trophy going to the highest finishing state resident is a good solution, though there'd be something kinda deflating about finishing in 10th place but being the "champion."
              This would only happen in Washington's Championship. On a serious note, I feel like somebody back on some other forum suggested that it be an invitational. Perhaps the top 3, 5 or 10 finishers in each division - depending on the field's average size - get an invite...

Or, as Scott mentioned, have a well-advertised, well-ran event and have it out. I'd like to see some format like singles -> match play -> skins...something a little different than your standard tournament.
              Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Good point.

I base my opinion on the fact that in the time I've been playing, I have yet to see a meaningful state championship. There have been state championship tournamnets in this time, but they are usually announced a week or two before and are poorly advertised. As a result, the field is small and not truly representative of the state.

A properly run/advertised/sponsored tournament would be a great thing.
                I hear ya. I can't speak to the OR tourney, but as for WA, I'd like to see it promoted more and drawing more people in. But Lowell's been running it for years, and its fairly small, low key and relaxed, which apparently is the way he wants it. I have no problem with small low key tourneys, but it's not the way I envision a state championship. It's not my tourney though, so not my call.

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
                  This would only happen in Washington's Championship.

Hey now, anything's possible....

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
                    This would only happen in Washington's Championship.
                    Nice.

Comment

Magilla state championships are for the Oregon players that is how other sports in the state compete and if you want to include other state you have a regional or national event to declair who is the best. The PDGA has nothing to do about state champions thats not how they pick there players to compete in the worlds.

Also a state championship winner is who the best player that shows up and wins not someone who plays in a pdga series or NW series. State championships our one event not a series. some events like track and field have serveral events through the year but any player can compete for the state title.

Magilla I talk to you about why the old times dont show up and why I dont play the series any more its because you need to seperate the pro event from the Am events they are to big look how fast the events field up this year and most of the players are ams. Most of us old timers dont want to wait in huge groups on the tee and have a slow pace thats not how they do it in ball golf for the pro players. Its time to seperate the skill players from the Ams and its not a slam to the Am players about what im saying here.

The thing I dont like to here is only PDGA matters thats bull s*** not every player in the state of Oregon wants to join or play in the pdga so why make the state championships pdga that is not a true state event because the pdga is for people who want to compete for the worlds and get pionts to play in the big event that is why states have series so people can compete in several events so they can get enough points to go.

Why I have brought this up is because yes for years we have not had a true and well run state event for years. Maybe its to late for this year but maybe next year we as a state can get the ball running.
                      Last edited by Scott; August 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM. Reason: Removed profanity
                      X - Man

Comment

Someone should do this. Not at Timber. Not a one-day event. Definitely PDGA sanctioned. I think it should be open to all players. If a Washingtonian can find a hat to pull a rabbit out of, they could be the Oregon State Champion. One year, Nate Sexton was Oregon, Washington and Idaho, I believe.

Who's willing to step up? I can help but cannot do the whole thing.
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Sam thats great Im willing to help and yes not at timber and we should make it a two day event but not PDGA because you limit the competetion to only PDGA players in the state and not all of the players in the state belong or want to belong to PDGA. Also you can keep more money for the event by not giving out to PDGA fees.

The state championship is for Oregon players the trophy goes to the best player in the state not someone from Washington or Idaho that is how you see who is the best in each division in the state.
                          X - Man

Comment

We can totally hammer out the details as we get closer. I don't think PDGA is a bad way to go, though, as it will provide insurance. Those who are not members can pay the extra fee.

What about players from Vancouver, WA? That's basically Oregon...
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

If we have the event at state park you dont need the insurance because they have special event coverage I know we used it before and the cost is cheap.

Past events we did have Vancouver people compete but as the sport got bigger we would have players compete in Oregon event and the Washington event. so they can compete in there state event. I have check on other sports state events and they have the same rule you must live in the state for at least 6 months to compete.
                              X - Man

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X