Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tourney videography groups out there to rep the NW?

If you havent noticed yet - the world of (primarily) You Tube uploaded, well edited tourney footage is just exploding right now. There has always been some out there, but 2013 and now 2014 is seeing a huge wave of content being generated. More HD, better edits, tighter production. HD stuff, edited stuff coming out weekly.

As someone who takes in and watches more than my fair share of tourney footage thats out there, I have taken notice. It's been great. I've also noticed that there are some geographical areas greatly benefiting in positive exposure near where particular videographers live (Central/S Ca, Charlotte area, Delaware/Pennslyvania)

Anyone know any budding NW based talent to harness? Anyone out there filming?
    (I know there's some stuff out there, some archives, some odds and ends, some from outside production sources like past Beaver state stuff, etc and I assume there'd be some of the major national video teams doing worlds Portland)

But..

Any events out there thinking of "incentivizing" film crews (bribing?)
    Any film groups considering filming for this years Steili NT stop?

Any event directors considering bringing in some video work?
    What incentive would it take for a group to take it on?

Thought It's be a interesting topic to discuss in regards to benefits to the NW scene and maybe light a fire in this area.

I like to think I do decent work for having a decent camera and doing it for fun. Bullseye does good work too. Tennessee - Mat Crider I belive did good work.

Comment

Originally posted by WestsoundBT View Post
      I've also noticed that there are some geographical areas greatly benefiting in positive exposure near where particular videographers live (Central/S Ca, Charlotte area, Delaware/Pennslyvania)
      Thought It's be a interesting topic to discuss in regards to benefits to the NW scene and maybe light a fire in this area.
      Please elaborate on the "benefits". Thanks.

Comment

ill be hiring somebody for almost all of my tournaments in the NW and at worlds. i have a gopro i use and working with another person who has a video camera with HD. if you know sombody doing projects or looking to help send them my way i play alot down in Oregon. Discs and gas/food etc etc will be my fist bribe and then money if needed, i really want more and more coverage even if its just of my group anything can help, that being said full tournaments would be nice of course------jason
        It ain't gonna be easy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
          Please elaborate on the "benefits". Thanks.
          Ooh, good turn. It could raise an interesting discussion on what are the benefits of increased videography.
          I had my own quick reaction, as my own personal bias was towards non monetary values of general aggrandizement of NW disc golf to a wider audience. Maybe that plays on sense of pride, maybe ego (if one wanted to take that way), stuff like that. There's parts of many of us that kinda like the idea that when you're on travel and a disc golfer in Tuscon or Saskatoon, or Ft Meyer, Copenhagen, or wherever.. hears that you are in town from the NW, they say something positive about what they've seen from where you come from. (not an unusual human desire)

However, one could talk about the different aspects
          Some could be…in random shotgun spray style. leaving many out

Videography could be a viable way to spread the prestige or notoriety of an event, leading to higher future demand, allowing risk mitigation by event directors, possibly better sponsorship, etc
          (could be a great value/cost ratio way of doing so)

videography to a region could mean more travel/tourism dg players, which may benefit the communities around courses (heads in beds, cash spent at nearby stores, restaurants,.. tourism organizations love that stuff. (I've seen courses now via footage that has indeed led to travel play and spending along the way)

Good material one can point to could lead to further embedding DG in a communities or parks dept resume - maybe aid in setting traditions/recognizing importance which could aid arguments when a course is placed in jeopardy at some municipal level. (we are hardly seen, thus…do we exist if we are not seen?) Good to have a way to point to who we are and what we do. Parks depts could see good, clean presentations as validation of what they've been supporting.

On a person to person basis, indeed video footage doesn't put cash money today in anyones pockets. (If the looked for benefit is WIIFM, whats in it for me… then any discussion is likely not to get too far short of handing that person a stack of cash during the conversation) It doesn't put money in a players pocket at an event, and some might argue it takes away from putting cash in a players pocket if event resources are used to make it happen, but that goes back to where a WIIFM discussion occurs.

It could aid the ascendancy of a regional rising star (or their marketability)… which is great if you are that star, a friend, or feel some benefit from that… and maybe not if thats not such a big deal.

Does it build courses? hmmm … maybe or maybe not. It could help our courses. The idea that "What is measured, gets done" or what is on display drives people to care about it could be a factor. If one knows that a course is going to be seen by an additional 15k views, maybe you dress it up better, care for it better, work a little harder making it presentable. Maybe… it kicks off some really local pride, increased stewardship. Maybe some oneupmanship breaks out.

Regional, national, Majors bids could be aided indirectly, if thats of interest…or not.

and hey… isn't good press, good press? that is I guess unless an unintended consequences objection comes out - hopefully not that it will spoil the "secret jewel" of a particular course one enjoys… in other words some counterpoint based on "Us four and no more" or don't let others know about this great thing I'm having to myself.

Comment

Thanks for your lengthy reply WestsoundBT! I agree with your list.
            Glad you didn't go in the "disc golf should be a major sport" direction.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X