X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Champoeg Tournament

I have been pondering running a sanctioned tourney out at Champoeg State Park, but I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the history, as I understand that in the past there were tourneys out there and I dont want to step on anyones toes. Thanks
    Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Originally posted by CarlitosBonitos View Post
    I have been pondering running a sanctioned tourney out at Champoeg State Park, but I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the history, as I understand that in the past there were tourneys out there and I dont want to step on anyones toes. Thanks
    There haven't been any tournaments there for quite a while. As I understand it, the Ranger in charge out there wasn't a big fan of the dg and either wouldn't allow a tournament or charged so much to reserve the space that it was prohibitive. I don't know if the same Ranger is still in charge.

Comment

New ranger in charge.

Please know... they will want a minimum of $100 to close the park and will insist that you provide insurance or they will charge you another $600-$700 for that.

Let us know what you decide.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        There haven't been any tournaments there for quite a while. As I understand it, the Ranger in charge out there wasn't a big fan of the dg and either wouldn't allow a tournament or charged so much to reserve the space that it was prohibitive. I don't know if the same Ranger is still in charge.
        As I understand it they have a new Ranger in charge. Ask! I'd love to play a tournament out there.

Bob

Comment

New ranger

yeah thats what sparked the idea is that there was a new ranger, I was more interested in knowing who if anyone used to run the toruneys out there and if they were going to be difficult to work with, or offended by a newby trying to get something going... I will just start with the Parks folks and see about the insurance issues... Is it possible to avoid the insurance issue by having waivers signed by participants? I have noticed this trend over the last couple years???????

Comment

yeah thats what sparked the idea is that there was a new ranger, I was more interested in knowing who if anyone used to run the toruneys out there and if they were going to be difficult to work with, or offended by a newby trying to get something going... I will just start with the Parks folks and see about the insurance issues... Is it possible to avoid the insurance issue by having waivers signed by participants? I have noticed this trend over the last couple years???????
            Signed waivers are worthless from a legal standpoint. Get the insurance through the PDGA because it's cheap and it will CYA. Talk to Magilla about dates so you don't schedule anything over another local event. Find out who the park supervisor is and be courteous and respectful when informing them of your intentions. It would help if you could explain to them how this will benefit the park and the course itself. (Donate a certain percentage of entry fees to the park in exchange for them waiving any park fees). If done right, the rangers will work with you and help to prepare the course for the tournament. Good luck and have fun.

Todd Andrews
            Regards,

Todd Andrews

Comment

Maybe we can work the goodwill of a tournament into 3 more holes. Or eventually another course on the other side of the park. I drove through there yesterday and it was .

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Maybe we can work the goodwill of a tournament into 3 more holes. Or eventually another course on the other side of the park. I drove through there yesterday and it was .
                That is actually my idea to use this tournament and any future tourneys as fundraisers for the remaining three baskets needed to complete an 18 hole course, I have run many many poker tourneys as well as a travelling handicap disc golf leauge and I have helped assistant TD some tourneys for Terry. I am confident we can get soemthing done, but I jsut wanted to avoid any turf wars, as there are many other courses to run tourneys at, I just know it is a good middle ground for most golfers and a great course for all conditions through out the year as well as all levels of players.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Andrews View Post
                  Signed waivers are worthless from a legal standpoint. Get the insurance through the PDGA because it's cheap and it will CYA. Talk to Magilla about dates so you don't schedule anything over another local event. Find out who the park supervisor is and be courteous and respectful when informing them of your intentions. It would help if you could explain to them how this will benefit the park and the course itself. (Donate a certain percentage of entry fees to the park in exchange for them waiving any park fees). If done right, the rangers will work with you and help to prepare the course for the tournament. Good luck and have fun.

Todd Andrews
                  Thanks Todd!

Comment

That is actually my idea to use this tournament and any future tourneys as fundraisers for the remaining three baskets needed to complete an 18 hole course, I have run many many poker tourneys as well as a travelling handicap disc golf leauge and I have helped assistant TD some tourneys for Terry. I am confident we can get soemthing done, but I jsut wanted to avoid any turf wars, as there are many other courses to run tourneys at, I just know it is a good middle ground for most golfers and a great course for all conditions through out the year as well as all levels of players.
                    Since there have been NO tournaments held in recent history I don't believe you would be stepping on any toes or need be concerned with Turf wars. I think your idea will be met with much enthusiasm and support from the disc golf community. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Bob

Comment

You will have to work around 2 different schedules. The local disc golf scene and the park schedule. Champoeg is a popular place. The bicycle crowd has events there several times a year.

Making the course bigger would be great!
                      I like to play there because it is the only local place where you can legally drink beer on the course.

Comment

I like to play there because it is the only local place where you can legally drink beer on the course.
                        You can drink at Dabney as well

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Madrid View Post
                          You can drink at Dabney as well
                          You can drink at all State Parks, and a few County Parks too (e.g., Waterloo), but I think he meant local to Salem.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

allright... stay tuned, more to come I will keep everyone informed!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                              You can drink at all State Parks, and a few County Parks too (e.g., Waterloo), but I think he meant local to Salem.

Actually local to Keizer. 18.6 miles and it is almost a straight shot there. I can make it there under 30 minutes on the country roads. All the other legal places to drink are more than an hour away.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X