Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for History of the tournaments at Champoeg, Roy Van Houten ran what was then the longest running tournament in the State. The Oak Grove Open ran for 20 years. At that point he thought that 20 was enough and some else could take over. I beleive the last Oak Grove Open was at least 5 years ago.

As adding new holes to Champoeg, I believe Roy has submitted a plan to add 3 more baskets yearly for the last 10 plus years. Only to but his head into a wall. The Park will not budge for any extra land (and I mean ANY). The only possibility would be to rework the course. This has already been done in the past to get to the 15 holes that are there now. I would hat to see this happen again.

As for the new Ranger, there is a new ranger, but the old ranger was promoted and now is the new rangers direct supervisor and any changes would have to go through him.

Having ran an Oregon Series Event and helping Roy with the Oak Grove Open at Champoeg. The insurance question was just starting to be an issue. The funds we had to come up with was Renting a Shelter and part of the park. Some of these funds were waived for our volunteer work and or purchasing the players pack discs from the Friends of Champoeg. The disc with the Champoeg seal on the disc.

Jim

Comment

Bingo

Originally posted by Jim Waterbury View Post
      As for History of the tournaments at Champoeg, Roy Van Houten ran what was then the longest running tournament in the State. The Oak Grove Open ran for 20 years. At that point he thought that 20 was enough and some else could take over. I beleive the last Oak Grove Open was at least 5 years ago.

As adding new holes to Champoeg, I believe Roy has submitted a plan to add 3 more baskets yearly for the last 10 plus years. Only to but his head into a wall. The Park will not budge for any extra land (and I mean ANY). The only possibility would be to rework the course. This has already been done in the past to get to the 15 holes that are there now. I would hat to see this happen again.

As for the new Ranger, there is a new ranger, but the old ranger was promoted and now is the new rangers direct supervisor and any changes would have to go through him.

Having ran an Oregon Series Event and helping Roy with the Oak Grove Open at Champoeg. The insurance question was just starting to be an issue. The funds we had to come up with was Renting a Shelter and part of the park. Some of these funds were waived for our volunteer work and or purchasing the players pack discs from the Friends of Champoeg. The disc with the Champoeg seal on the disc.

Jim
      This is exactly what I was hoping for in response to my question, Thanks Jim! Very informative and now I know plenty to move forward!
      Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlitosBonitos View Post
        This is exactly what I was hoping for in response to my question, Thanks Jim! Very informative and now I know plenty to move forward!

I understand that the old ranger is now in a position of increased power but his boss sits in a bigger chair in Salem. With the recent interest in continuing the existence of Disc Golf courses in State Park, soon to add LL Stub Stewart to the list, you would think a properly placed phone call or letter would stir the pot enough to dislodge the old rangers misplaced malice toward organized park use for disc golf events.
        PDGA #25296
        Stumptown #34

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
        Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X