Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Golf in Ireland? Maybe with your help!

Hi there. Those of you who know me may remember I spent a few years a while back trying to introduce disc golf to Ireland (my home country). Now an ex pro from San Diego who lives in Ireland has taken up the baton. If anybody has a minute to help please click on the facebook page and like them. The more likes they get (they only have about 300 right now) the easier it will be for them to persuade the powers that be to get a course in.
    There are also some beautiful photos and a few videos that really show off the beauty of the country and how ideal it would be for disc golf.
    Here is a link to the facebook page. Thank you all in advance for the help.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Disc-G...ed_target_id=0

Thanks to everyone who followed the link. There has been 40 likes in the last 24 hours. Remember that 1000 likes (that's the goal) in Ireland is the equivalent of 80,000 in the US. Feel free to "share" the page and spread the word.

Comment

oops
      Last edited by loki; November 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

OOPS, in less than 2 weeks we received almost 1000 likes on the disc golf Ireland Facebook page thanks to everyone (particularly a couple of high profile disc golfers who very kindly shared and linked the Facebook page........think present and past world champions!). We are looking into the Marco Polo program and innovation grants and have even had individual offers to "sponsor" a hole on Ireland's first course. next week there is a meeting in Ireland with a Parks dept. superintendent to pitch the idea for a course.
        Thanks to everyone!! If you haven't visited and liked the Facebook page please feel free to do so and share and link it if you so desire.

Comment

Great project. Hope it goes off well.
          FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Since I wrote the first post the facebook page has received an overwhelming support of "likes" and we have grown to 1,872 (almost 1,600 since November). This is information that is currently being used to show the Irish parks departments just how much interest there is in introducing disc golf to Ireland. At the same time we have raised 1/3 of the capital to build the course and our proposal to the PDGA is in it's final review and should we get that we will be close to 100% funded (fingers crossed). There is a demonstration next Saturday in Ireland at a huge ultimate tournament and I will be arriving Sunday to help pitch the idea.

I realize that I'm talking about a course 6000 miles away but I just wanted to celebrate our successes so far to the community with whom I learned and love to play this great sport of ours. If you visit the "disc golf Ireland" facebook page you will find incredible photos of "dream holes" all over Ireland and you will see that it is a country made for disc golf......and don't forget to like the page.

Comment

I spent a few weeks in Ireland last year. I was bummed there was no disc golf courses anywhere. We spent a few days hiking around the Killarney national park where I pretty much was amazed at the landscape and the potential it has to have incredible disc golf courses. Glad to see you are making some progress in getting a permanent course. Hopefully there will be some chains to bang next time I visit.
              /\/\ E l) F () R l) E R

Comment

Good news (for those who may care), the PDGA has accepted our application and Disc Golf Ireland have been awarded their "Marco Polo grant" worth $5000. With this we are incredibly close to funding Ireland's first course. There is an Estate in Co. Wicklow (near Dublin) that we are talking to as a possible location. They have 240 acres of land with woods, open areas, elevation all bisected by the river Liffey so we are hoping this may become Ireland's first site for disc golf. Thanks to any of you that supported us by liking the facebook page. I've submitted the story so far to the PDGA (as they request) so you may read about it if you frequent their website. We have also set up a spot where people can donate towards Ireland's first course which you can access from the Disc Golf Ireland Facebook page should you feel strongly. Every 20 euro donated (about $28) gets your name in a hat and the winner names one of the first holes on the course. Thanks again.

Comment

The course is funded and designed. Here is the promo video for it.....enjoy
                  https://vimeo.com/105311279

Comment

Great work man! Sooo happy for you... and for Ireland!
                    FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X