X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use to mark your discs?

I marked all my discs with a Sharpie on the inside of the rim.

After 2 rounds I can barely see it!

What can I use that will really stay on for a while?

Thanks,

James

After thoroughly cleaning hundreds of discs and every type of plastic except the new recycled wood type plastics and the steady ed ash plastic .. I can say that Sharpie is impossible to get off with standard cleaners if you are using star plastic. it will come off of Champion plastic but you have to seriously get down and dirty with it. I have to practically lean all my weight into the cleaning of the disc to push hard enough to get the ink off (naturally I only do it on discs that have been given to me). DX plastic the ink comes right off. Ching plastic the ink comes off easier than most. Discraft plastics vary, but as a rule they come off easier than champion plastic.

I use a standard ink pen on my champion stuff.

Comment

Sharpie doesn't come off Discraft FLX plastic.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Brian,

I have a Discraft elite-X that the Sharpie just wore off after 2 rounds.

And a Discraft ESP that Goof Off took the Sharpie right off.

These are very old Sharpies, could that be the problem?

James

Comment

I throw alot of discraft and have both ESP, Z and X discs. I also use a sharpie to put my name on the rim and i probably put my name on my discs twice a year. I've never had a problem with them wearing off. I write it over the lettering on the rim (if there is some) because I dont like to grip over the writing so I know it won't wear off. It works for me and i play alot of rounds.
          A par is not a bogey.

Comment

Make sure you are using black and not a colored sharpie. Even brown seems to come off much easier. I have tried multiple different Sharpie brand pens and only black seems to stick for me. I guess other things to watch are possibly let it dry overnight and make sure it is dark and not rubbed in. By that I mean press lightly when you do it so you don't squish the ink around and make it wider but not darker. Light touch seems to work better.

Comment

A mini.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                A mini.
                *gets it*

Comment

I use a black sharpie. Seems to last pretty well, and I wasn't able to remove all the ink from the Aviar I got used. Age of the sharpie might have something to do with it, and probably the brand you used too.

Comment

"Sharpie" IS a brand.
                    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                      Sharpie doesn't come off Discraft FLX plastic.
                      Yer durn tootin!

I find Sharpie works okay for everything I use except R-Pro. I redo my DX by writing straight over the old Sharpie and piling it on helps. FLX and it's ON there, baby!
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        A mini.

I was completely expecting a conversation on what types of minis people use. Hell, I've seen crazier threads in here.

Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
                        PDGA #37890
                        Stumptown #157
                        ODW TDG 10-11
                        3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

I find that if I mark my disks when it's cold the sharpies rub off pretty quickly. I have two discs that I marked on a 90 degree two years ago and have never had to remark them.
                          Current World Rank: 2857th
                          Lowest Rated Round: 777
                          Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                          Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                          Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                          Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                          Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                          Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                            I marked all my discs with a Sharpie on the inside of the rim.
                            I don't know if anyone else caught this part, but marking the disc where you grip it will cause the ink to wear off much faster when it mixes with the oils in your fingertips.You may want to write on the bottom of the flight plate instead.

What can I use that will really stay on for a while?
                            Black Rit dye. :wink:

Comment

I have noticed that on my Lighting discs the sharpie wears off pretty easily, but other then that it works really well.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X