X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong to write on the baskets?

...I know someone that goes around writing his name on baskets when he gets an ace. The people around me are mixed about whether it's right or wrong. I don't think people should write on the baskets, I think they should just have people sign their discs. Should I tell him I think he should stop? Aren't there good reasons not to write on the baskets? He's a good guy, how do I approach him about not writing on the baskets? Some baskets look so great (like the ones at Horning's Hideout) it would be awful to see them all written on, wouldn't it?
    sigpic

Yeah, just let him know it's not cool, it's vandalism. He's probably just not aware of the fact.

Comment

Suggest he write the course and hole# on the back of the ace disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris Hagner View Post
        Some baskets look so great (like the ones at Horning's Hideout) it would be awful to see them all written on, wouldn't it?
        I agree, but ironically, I think Bob Horning is on record as saying he doesn't mind much.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Aren't there good reasons not to write on the baskets?
          Yes. It is vandalism. Ask your friend to stop writing on baskets. If he won't do that, ask him to stop getting aces.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
            Suggest he write the course and hole# on the back of the ace disc.
            When I met him, He aced the first hole I saw him play, I handed him a sharpie, and was totally surprised to see him sign the basket. The only signature on any of the baskets at that time. I thought he was just misguided and would figure it out. Now his name is all over a bunch of baskets at different courses, and he's sorta started a trend over here at Vance. All the baskets are signed now. I'm going to tell him it's vandalism and see if that works...
            sigpic

Comment

It not only makes the baskets look bad, but its kind of egotistical. Not everyone needs to know that you aced a certain hole. Tell him to stop, thats what backs of discs are for.
              Team Innova
              Team LSDiscs
              Team Stimpi
              Team Challenge
              Team Oly
              Team Fry
              2009 USDGC Washington State Representative
              PDGA #25541

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Yes. It is vandalism. Ask your friend to stop writing on baskets. If he won't do that, ask him to stop getting aces.
                I will definitely ask him to stop getting aces! At least until I can catch up! What if I ask him to see his sharpie and then go put it in the trashcan? That might work...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  I agree, but ironically, I think Bob Horning is on record as saying he doesn't mind much.

Yup Bob is ok with it below is a copy from the thread "Question about ACE etiquette" from back in Febuary.

"Hey guys I went ahead and PMed Bob Horning and asked how he felt about people writing on his baskets since my original post was pertaining to an incident that happened on his course. Below is his response to me that he said I could repost on this thread.

Quote:
                  Hi Cindy, Actually it is OK, for to me it adds a personal touch to the course and lets the one who aced it have a nice way to connect and add their own individually to it. Eventually we'll have to repaint them all anyway, to as long as they don't get carried away or as long as their is no defacing then I don't have a problem.
                  Thanks for watching out for us, I do appreciate it greatly!!
                  Thanks, Bob

When I get my first ace I still am only going to have my disc signed that's just how I feel personally on the subject.

Cindy"
                  Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                  2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                  Stumptown #176
                  PDGA #37716

Comment

Bob owns a course. He built it and owns it and it is fine by him. That should be proof enough that it isn't a big deal to write your name on a pole. I think it looks neat. I love to see who aced a hole. However, many people do not share my view. I don't write my name on the basket pole, but I know people who do and I think it is OK. it is very easy to take graffiti off of metal poles, so if it get's out of hand it is very simple to correct.

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                      When I get my first ace I still am only going to have my disc signed that's just how I feel personally on the subject.
                      Cindy"
                      I'm sure you will get your first ace soon, Cindy! I agree with you, I don't sign baskets either...
                      sigpic

Comment

Bob doesnt mind, so obviously its ok at his place. He owns it, so he can make the rules. But, other courses? its just not right.
                        All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

I will definitely ask him to stop getting aces! At least until I can catch up! What if I ask him to see his sharpie and then go put it in the trashcan? That might work...
                          I've never signed a basket before, that does seem a bit odd. Why not just pee on in like a civilized person? I am going to start signing trashcans when I play a course though. That seems more appropriate.

Comment

You should 'can' those ideas... you're just talkin' trash Oscar....

I have mixed feelings on this subject. Like Brian, I think it'd be neat to see who's aced a certain hole. On the other hand, I agree that it would probably deface the target enough to make it an eyesore.
                            What about having number plates with hinges so that a person could open up the back and sign the inside... some baskets/courses would require more 'slates' in order to accomodate for more signatures.
                            Or a hidden scroll of some sort.... o.k. I'll stop, but I was serious about the hinge thingy....
                            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Yeah, I'll have to go with Brian and Bob on this one, I think as long as stuff like that is unobtrusive and doesn't take away from the overall quality of the course, I don't really mind it, there are some really sweet ace holes where I enjoyed seeing the lucky few who nabbed the sweet ace. Puttting your name on the pole of Rockwood hole 2 though is another story.
                              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X