Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rather have tournaments with big sponsors or..

What I mean by that is commercializing DG. What if someone could get major sponsors like clothing companies, shoe companies,cell phone companies and other non disc golf related companies to pitch in to the pot. The pots could get bigger, but then you would have a more commercial feel to it. there is always a trade off when you sell out to "The Man".

Once my real estate business gets back going again (this downturn is brutal), I might have some time to search out sponsors for big events, or even make a name sponsored event like 'The Clear wireless open' or whatever. It would be nice to have a pot with more than like $500 in it. But would you sell out and wear a Julios Thongs for men shirt just to get a bigger payout?

Why don't you get Big Christianity to sponsor? There could be the Baptist Basket Bash, the Puritan Platter Pull, or the Fundie Fling. All that tax-free money-for-nothing has to do more than go to more fund-raising, huge glass cathedrals, and sniper rifles, yes?
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

i would love to see more big companies involved! even if it was something non related like Old Navy for example. could you imagine a Pro first place payout in the thousands?! that would be great! i dont care about "selling out", it is better for the sport.
      Team HOSER:dancing:
      Team OLY:cheerleader:
      Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
        i would love to see more big companies involved! even if it was something non related like Old Navy for example. could you imagine a Pro first place payout in the thousands?! that would be great! i dont care about "selling out", it is better for the sport.
        I agree with you on this one.

I also thing Fundie Fling might be a good idea hehe
        Don't bring your booze though!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
          But would you sell out and wear a Julios Thongs for men shirt just to get a bigger payout?
          i want one please

Comment

Big time sponsorships would also bring more exposure to the sport which is what many of us would love to see.

This year's Beaver State Fling presented by Keen Footwear with a pro purse of $33,887 was certainly a step in the right direction.

Comment

Short answer: YES!!!

too many reasons to list

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Big time sponsorships would also bring more exposure to the sport which is what many of us would love to see.

This year's Beaver State Fling presented by Keen Footwear with a pro purse of $33,887 was certainly a step in the right direction.
                I think that Keen did a FANTASTIC job as a sponsor! It really made them stand out in my eyes, and i will certainly support them with their merchandise.
                I have to say WAY TO GO to whoever is the person that got them as a sponsor!
                Team HOSER:dancing:
                Team OLY:cheerleader:
                Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

I always thought it would be kind of rad to see if Trojan Inc. would sponsor a tournament at Trojan. Too bad the towers are gone. imagine a condom that big. Even Pinkal's mom would think twice about hitting that.
                  Training to be a bagger

Comment

Yes! Uh, no to Pinkal's mom Mr. Smothers ... but yes to big sponsorship. I was barking about this to several DGers over the last few months. My fantasy was a big name (star, singer, entertainer, etc.) starts to play and fall in love with it, and brings in his/her contacts that can turn into very large sponsorships. It's all about who you know, baby!

Comment

I think it would be funny as Hell!!!! to get Trojan condoms to help sponsor a tourney sometime at Trojan Park. I dont know what they would give out as sponsorship besides maybe some cash to the event and most likely tons of free condoms,

I dont know if that would be a good idea though. We already have enough sterotypes involved with this sport. Weed Smokers and Drinkers!!!!! Would sluts be a bad image to our sport? hahaha.
                      All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Since it seems the predominate view so far is all for corporate influence I'll throw in my 2 bits. I'm torn by the ideas of major corporate involvement, I know that on some level it is simply going to happen as the game grows but I don't think it's a necessary route to the growth of the sport. I think simply organizing disc golf communities across the country, reaching out to lots of local businesses and groups for support and sponsorship could take the game a long way. At the end of the day corporations might bring lots of cash to a tournament but does that mean they have a real vested interest in putting courses, or pouring tee pads. At the end of the day big purses mainly benefit the small slice of the disc golf community that plays pro. I'm certainly happy that companies like Keen are getting behind disc golf, what they sell connects to the game anyway, but you'd have a tough time getting me out to a Wal-Mart Open no matter how large the purse was.
                        Last edited by Joshua Olmsted; July 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling
                        PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                        dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Walmart open, sign me up, the trophies would come from china but the cash would be in US currency.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Smith View Post
                            Yes! Uh, no to Pinkal's mom Mr. Smothers ... but yes to big sponsorship. I was barking about this to several DGers over the last few months. My fantasy was a big name (star, singer, entertainer, etc.) starts to play and fall in love with it, and brings in his/her contacts that can turn into very large sponsorships. It's all about who you know, baby!
                            10 years ago, Harrison Ford had a Mach III in his front yard.......hasn't seemed to help.

Matthew Perry (Friends) plays at least once a week at either Huntington Beach, La Mirada or Sylmar...........hasn't helped either, other than showing up to watch the Golden State Classic one year.

There HAVE been some HUGE sponsors (Budwieser, etc)...BUT all it usually takes is one trip through the parking lot at lunch to end that....

Comment

Most large corporations are equal to cancer of the planet and would qualify as psychopaths under the system the FBI uses to assess character. We'll all be better off when the qualifications for corporate charters are rolled back to seventeenth century standards.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X