X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakway closing

I don't think we will be missing much. I was all hyped up for some incredible golf based on some of the things I read about Oakway on the ODSA forum. Other than some long holes and goofing around with golf carts, there is not much going on there in terms of interesting hole design. I would be shocked if the Eugene Disc Golf Club is unable to come up with a better use for those 18 baskets down there somewhere.

Talking to the staff, I got the impression that they can't wait for the day the baskets get taken down.

Could be that I'm just spoiled by being able to play Milo anytime, but a 1000 foot hole is better when you have to place a drive along a certain path or in a specific landing zone instead of just trying to get it closer to the basket with each throw.

I completely agree. As I told you last night, it's worth doing if you haven't but I can't see many trips down there with Milo so close. I trust that the forces in Eugene do well with those baskets.
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Olson
      Talking to the staff, I got the impression that they can't wait for the day the baskets get taken down.
      Why's that?

By the way, I think they said the baskets are destined for Clearwater Park in Springfield.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

It was worth checking out. I had fun. The golf was nothing remarkable though.

Adam, did you mean why is the staff looking forward to the baskets going down, or why was that my perception?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Olson
          Adam, did you mean why is the staff looking forward to the baskets going down, or why was that my perception?
          Both, I guess!
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Well I can only speculate about why the staff at Oakway isn't stoked about disc golf there. Probably just not too popular with the ball golfers. As for why I got that impression, maybe it was the triumphant way the guy at the clubhouse announced the closing date of the disc course.

Comment

Yeah... when I was there, I definitely got the ugly stare from a number of the ball golfers. I think that they just didn't see waiting on us as the same thing as waiting on their fellow stick and ball players. The whole thing really made me skeptical about disc and ball golfers playing on the same course at the same time, actually.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

That's too bad. I've never played Oakway, but was hoping it could be used as a model for more disc/ball courses in the future.

Comment

oakway is a great golf course that challenged the most skilled golfer. just because it's long and isn't "scenic" like milo doesn't mean it loses merit. that course specifically improved my game in a number of different ways and i think that if you guys played it a bit more you would agree. or maybe not.
                  rip oakway
                  May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

I would have liked to have gotten a chance to play it too, if at the very least, to see what was done right and what wasn't. Anybody know if Gwillim played it at all? I'd be interested to hear how he thought it compared to Emerald Isle in CA (full time shared ball/disc golf course).
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

You really cant compare Oakway to Emerald Isle........Completely different type of Ball Golf Course to begin with.
                      EI is all Par 3's & 4's and has ALOT of elevation change compared to Oakway.

There just are not those HUGE fairways that Oakway has......

PLUS the Owner of EI just LOVES the DiscGolf scene.............apparently quite a difference from Oakway as well.

Comment

As a member of the Eugene community I can say that while we were there Oakway was pretty supportive of disc golf... Having a course at a ball golf course definitely raised the profile of the sport in the community and they were great about inviting us to hold meetings there and such. I think that disc golfers are going to need to deal with some identity issues if we want to be accepted by a community like ball golf... not even sure if this is the direction that I would have the sport go.
                        As for the course if you never got to play all I have to say is that it is a shame that a tournament was never played there because hole 17 was one of the most bad ass, long, multiple challenge holes that I have ever played! 900+ feet, downhill, around OB, over water, to a protected green... Oh I will miss that course.

Comment

Andy, I am just stoked about what you guys will come up with for us, next. I have to agree with you about the image thing and agree that I am not sure that I want the sport to go that way. Being a long-haired, hippy-looking guy, I got some dirty looks at Oakway. Felt like home, really, so it was cool.

Thanks for sticking it out with those guys and definitely keep us in the loop about what happens down there next.

~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

This is my favorite course. HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO ME!

Comment

never heard of it
                              ________
                              Vapir no2 vaporizer
                              Last edited by Jonesy; March 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X