Etiquette on a busy course... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Etiquette on a busy course...

    I just returned from Orchard Park where I had to cancel my second round because three guys on tee 1 decided they had to throw thier entire bags before moving on.

    Myself and two other groups were waiting for the tee while these guys carried on a tutoring session.

    I don't mind a few practice throws, but c'mon, when I left, these guys had each thrown 4 or 5 discs, and were preping to throw more. I decided I didn't have time to wait for them to finish throwing, then pick up thier discs and finish the hole, and God only knows how many they planned to throw at the rest of the holes.

    I didn't ask to play through because I didn't have the patience to ask nicely. I was tired, thoroughly annoyed, and becoming pissed. I was taking a break in the middle of what is about to be a 14hr day at the office.

    I'm new to this sport and I enjoy the looseness of the game and the incredible freindliness of the people. I wasn't in a hurry tonight, but at the same time, I didn't have time to wait for these guys to take over the course for their private training session.

    Just had to vent a little. I feel better now.
    Last edited by badbitbucket; June 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM. Reason: added more info

  • #2
    You do realize that this is a league night at Orchard, right?

    The right thing to do here - since you were the one having the issue - is collect yourself and ask if you could play through. If they were as adept at the game as you seem to indicate, they would understand the basic ettiquette and let you play through.

    My $0.02, anyway.
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

    Comment


    • #3
      You must have been there as the group for Tuesday Twos at Orchard was showing up. Many people throw numerous throws on hole 1 to loosen up. Normally they will let you play through without a problem. Dont be rude about it, but just ask nicely if you can play through, and they will most likely have no problem with it.
      All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        No I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

        Last Tuesday I got blocked in and had to ask people to move thier cars so I could get out of my parking space. I guess I'll just stay away on tuesdays.

        I didn't realize this was a weekly thing.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes stay and play next time. $5 buy in, Random draw doubles. Doesnt matter how knew you are. It is a great way to get to know people and maybe learn a thing or 2.
          All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            yeah, someday when I have the time, I will stay and play. Right now I'm in project deadline hell.

            Now that I am aware of what was going on, I understand completely why they weren't concerned about the people lining up behind them!

            Thanks for setting me straight guys...

            Comment


            • #7
              No worries at all. Thanks for understanding. Casual players at open courses holding weekly events are becoming a major issue.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

              Comment


              • #8
                Also....weekly events at open courses are becoming a major issue for casual players.

                Comment


                • #9
                  ditto on the aforementioned.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by thadeouspage View Post
                    Also....weekly events at open courses are becoming a major issue for casual players.
                    My take on that post was that it was becoming an issue for everyone involved. I didn't think of it was a jab at casuals. However if that is how you want to read it... well...

                    On a same note, I randomly heard a ration of crap from a few casuals complaining about Pier Doubles one night. I politely notified them that doubles had been going on at Pier Park every summer Wednesday for YEARS, and if they didn't like the delays they should consider either playing doubles with everyone else, or perhaps consider playing on a less busy evening.

                    I think the main problem is that most people don't know what night things are happening. We could probably do a better job notifying people of the weeklies. A few tactfully worded signs might do wonders.
                    Last edited by Bullseye; June 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM.
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                      My take on that post was that it was becoming an issue for everyone involved. I didn't think of it was a jab at casuals. However if that is how you want to read it... well...

                      On a same note, I randomly heard a ration of crap from a few casuals complaining about Pier Doubles one night. I politely notified them that doubles had been going on at Pier Park every summer Wednesday for YEARS, and if they didn't like the delays they should consider either playing doubles with everyone else, or perhaps consider playing on a less busy evening.

                      I think the main problem is that most people don't know what night things are happening. We could probably do a better job notifying people of the weeklies. A few tactfully worded signs might do wonders.

                      That seems like the most obvious thing. We put large sandwich board signs on hole 1 at each weekly that notify casuals that there is an event going on and play will be very slow. They cost about $20 to make out of plywood and lettering
                      Training to be a bagger

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        In the olden days I used to be the only one out playing most days, but it seems that "frolf" is getting popular now.

                        If I dont feel like asking a group to play through, I will just skip the hole and play it at the end of my round. If you play in tourneys you start at different holes anyways, so the order is not really important.
                        Since you were at the 1st hole, you could have just walked to #2 and started there, without any confrontation.

                        I really dont enjoy playing through groups hole after hole because I feel like I need to rush to get out of thier way, so I cant relax and enjoy my round.

                        Its nice to have choices though, like Seatac being 5 minutes from Lakewood, so if one course gets bogged down I can just cruise over to the other.

                        The best answer is " We need more courses" :agree:


                        *:agree: smiley not available,this site lacks emoticon depth, picture a head nodding.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by smobro View Post
                          That seems like the most obvious thing. We put large sandwich board signs on hole 1 at each weekly that notify casuals that there is an event going on and play will be very slow. They cost about $20 to make out of plywood and lettering
                          That's a start, but by then that person has already driven all the way to the course and has now been inconvenienced. I would say the best solution might be to not only use the sandwich board, but to also post a few flyers that are up all the time telling everyone about "league night" and letting them know that the course will be PACKED. That way they know ahead of time to either prepare for it, or avoid it altogether.
                          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I know at 'coom that they post a flyer at the board in the parking lot which would point out such things, but I have noticed that a lot of people don't even check out the board for any info (until they lose a freakin disc, then they're like all over that board to see if their disc is listed).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Garrett View Post
                              I know at 'coom that they post a flyer at the board in the parking lot which would point out such things, but I have noticed that a lot of people don't even check out the board for any info (until they lose a freakin disc, then they're like all over that board to see if their disc is listed).
                              this has nothing to do with the topic, sorry i just have to give garrett a little info. steilicoom is casually known as "steily" (pronounced stilly) , not "coom". just wanted to let you know so your on board with the lingo.
                              Team HOSER:dancing:
                              Team OLY:cheerleader:
                              Team Meteor

                              "Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X