'Mugging' at Sea Tac Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Seatac and Lakewood are the only courses I have played where I felt the need to take my pistol out of the safe and carry it with me while playing there. I agree with what someone said earlier we need to call the police when we see illegal activites such as this going on while playing.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

    ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

    Comment


    • #17
      I used to live half time in Tacoma and gave up on Seatac because it was so sketchy, and there was NOONE out there mid-week evenings.

      The bulk of the people I saw were not disc golfers, and the roar of overhead planes is sufficient to cover any yelling you can muster will be drowned out every 5 minutes or so.

      Like Pier in Portland, I believe more golfers will have a great effect making the park less dangerous to all users once there's sufficient traffic.

      However, since I didn't have a concealed carry permit and a .50 Kimber I took it to Lake Fenwick - also remote, but fewer sketchy people and I met cool folks nearly every round. Kinda miss it.

      I'd still make the trip up to do Fenwick/Seatac and Lakewood, but I'd make sure someone in the group had a concealed carry permit for Seatac!

      I'm no gun nut, but hey, if it comes down to me and my ability to chase frisbees like a Labrador in peace, and some tweaker's next thrill, well, I guess I've made my position pretty clear...I welcome back Darwin in the case of the Meth addict.

      Comment


      • #18
        The wheels of justice and evolution both grind too slowly.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by erp View Post
          I used to live half time in Tacoma and gave up on Seatac because it was so sketchy, and there was NOONE out there mid-week evenings.

          The bulk of the people I saw were not disc golfers, and the roar of overhead planes is sufficient to cover any yelling you can muster will be drowned out every 5 minutes or so.

          Like Pier in Portland, I believe more golfers will have a great effect making the park less dangerous to all users once there's sufficient traffic.

          However, since I didn't have a concealed carry permit and a .50 Kimber I took it to Lake Fenwick - also remote, but fewer sketchy people and I met cool folks nearly every round. Kinda miss it.

          I'd still make the trip up to do Fenwick/Seatac and Lakewood, but I'd make sure someone in the group had a concealed carry permit for Seatac!

          I'm no gun nut, but hey, if it comes down to me and my ability to chase frisbees like a Labrador in peace, and some tweaker's next thrill, well, I guess I've made my position pretty clear...I welcome back Darwin in the case of the Meth addict.
          I have a carry permit and I carry my .25 caliber Beretta and backup magazines with me almost anytime I go out but most of the time if I am playing a neighborhood course or anytime going to a state that does not honor our permits then I don't carry it. I refuse to play Seatac without my gun or without others around as well. I don't play Seatac much because of all of the problems there, and the fact it's too far from my house.

          By the way last time I checked Kimber doesn't make a .50 caliber, largest is a .45 ACP
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

          ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

          Comment


          • #20
            Yeah - don't pay much attention to guns anymore - down to a O3-A3 and a .38 S&W revolver that is actually at my parent's place in Minnesota.

            I tend to just avoid places where I need one...to be honest, if you said Kimber only makes baby strollers these days I wouldn't have but google to learn any different...

            Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
            I have a carry permit and I carry my .25 caliber Beretta and backup magazines with me almost anytime I go out but most of the time if I am playing a neighborhood course or anytime going to a state that does not honor our permits then I don't carry it. I refuse to play Seatac without my gun or without others around as well. I don't play Seatac much because of all of the problems there, and the fact it's too far from my house.

            By the way last time I checked Kimber doesn't make a .50 caliber, largest is a .45 ACP

            Comment


            • #21
              Guess I haven't played Seatac in a bit, but I have never had any problems there or at Lakewood that would require carrying a gun... I run into Grandma walking her dog more than the notorious mini bike gangs of the southside. What are we going to do-- pull out a gun to keep a teenager from stealing a disc? It's not like people are getting attacked, raped, robbed, or intimidated regularly... this was a very isolated incident-- no need for kevlar bags by Gorilla Boy!!
              Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

              Comment


              • #22
                There was no need for a gun this time Toby but the point is it is a bad enough area of town that something could happen that might require one some day. I hope I never have to be in that situation and to make a decision like that but I am prepared to do so. I have had many issues at Seatac in the handful of times I have played there with drunk homeless people making fires right next to the basket to feeling uncomfortable with another person in the park to seeing two people in the bushes making what looks like a drug deal.
                Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

                ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

                Comment


                • #23
                  I play Seatac almost every week, and have never had any problems there.
                  Homeless people making campfires ?
                  Drug deals in the bushes ?
                  I must have missed those golden moments.

                  That black kid with glasses on the mini bike is funny looking, he's way too tall to be riding it, he looks like a Shriner on one of those teenie tiny motorbikes they ride in parades.
                  At least one of the notorious gangsters lives right across from the park, by the 10th hole.

                  If I want to get scared of the other people in the parking area, and start doing a Paul Kersey style cleanup, I just go to Lake Fenwick.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I gotta agree with Toby and Captain Jack here, I've never felt threatened at SeaTac. A group of us did get to witness a sketchy looking woman making some kind of pick up on hole 17 one day, but she was actually aware of us playing golf and waited for us to take our drives before doing her tweaker strut across the fairway to pick up the stash.

                    At Lakewood, I've seen some gang members (or at least wannabes) skulking around mad dogging everyone, which is a little creepy, but I haven't seen them mess with golfers at all.
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Seatac/lakewood

                      I have played seatac 10 times in the last couple weeks mostly by myself and have never been worried about or had to deal with a situation having to deal with anything other than a very hard golf course. I've come across a few homeless beds and some kids smoking weed in the trees but I always say hello and have never gotten anything but a positive response from anyone out there. I do keep my bag closer to me these days after reading that story and considering there is usually no one out there at all it's good to be careful.
                      I've never had any problem at Lakewood either but I was a little scared one day when I was walking up to hole 13 at lakewood and there were four 25-30 yr old heavy set all dressed in blue and heavily gang tatted mexicans sitting on the bench and smoking weed. As I got closer to them I realized they had discs with them so I asked them if I could play through and one of them was like sure and the other three were staring me down like they wanted to stab me. I ended up throwing a perfectly straight buzz that skidded right up to the basket and all four of the guys were like OH SHIT!!! and cheering and laughing. I talked to them just for a minute about disc golf and then went on my way. Later when I was walking by fourteen on my way to seventeen I saw one of them drop a forty footer and he was staring me down like that's right bitch. It was pretty funny. We should give these kids with just a little interest and some time on their hands some discs whenever possible as it just might keep them out of trouble for a little bit.
                      Read this ^

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Wow... another reason to not go to SeaTac... golfers with guns. GREEEAAAAT!
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Wow... another reason to not go to SeaTac... golfers with guns. GREEEAAAAT!
                          I think it's funny how someone with a permit to carry a pistol, which is legal, is more insulting/less accepted then people drinking and smoking weed in the park which is illegal.
                          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

                          ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                            I think it's funny how someone with a permit to carry a pistol, which is legal, is more insulting/less accepted then people drinking and smoking weed in the park which is illegal.
                            I think it has more to do with violence breeding more violence.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                              I think it's funny how someone with a permit to carry a pistol, which is legal, is more insulting/less accepted then people drinking and smoking weed in the park which is illegal.
                              Yeah... and the next time someone gets killed by a joint or a beer, you might have approached the realm of logic. As of now, however, you sound like the Republican that you are.
                              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Scott View Post
                                I think it has more to do with violence breeding more violence.
                                I have had my license for many years now and I have never even been in a fist fight in my entire life, I have never taken my gun out in anger and I have never shot anything besides paper and dirt. The difference is Scott that I have a means of protecting myself, not to start anything with anyone else or rob a bank, etc. so your violence breeds violence saying doesn't work for citizens like me that follow the law and only have guns for a way to protect ourselves from someone that would want to hurt us or our families.
                                Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

                                ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X