Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REI Disc Golf Clinic

Hello fellow disc golfers,

I'm teaching a one hour clinic (Disc Golf 101) on the basics of disc golf for REI. I'm an amateur who's not very good. So I covet your suggestions. I'm just going for the most basic information. For complete beginners who are interested in disc golf but don't know the what, where, and (very briefly) how. So what's important? What goals should I set for my fortyish minutes of talking (leaving some time for questions)? How do I get people started without overwhelming them with tech and jargon? And of course I need some good disc golf jokes.

Thanks in advance for anything,

Evan

P.S. - The clinic is free, at the downtown Portland store, on July 8th in the evening (exact time still tbd but probably 6:30pm)

Flat flip files straight;
    Tilted flip curves!
    Experiment!
    "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Most importantly, tell them to start out with putters and midranges. If they must throw drivers, lighter weights will be better for most beginners.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

thanks Adam

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
        Most importantly, tell them to start out with putters and midranges. If they must throw drivers, lighter weights will be better for most beginners.
        Thanks for making that point. I've only recently realized that I'm throwing discs that are too heavy and of a speed level that I can't really produce. I can throw a 170 destroyer a ways but I can throw a 165 beast further with more control.

On that note...do you know if the distances at Timber Lin park are accurate?

Evan

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          QFT. I'd also recommend starting out with DX plastic if they can...easier to throw and less of a hit when it's inevitably lost. Though, if going through REI, I don't even know if they sell DX....
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Very cool. I taught some clinics for REI in Hillsboro and a bunch for Hillsboro Parks and Rec. I will send you a PM with my number. If you want to give me a call, I will give the rundown of what I did.

Grow the sport!
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Very cool. I taught some clinics for REI in Hillsboro and a bunch for Hillsboro Parks and Rec. I will send you a PM with my number. If you want to give me a call, I will give the rundown of what I did.

Grow the sport!
              Thanks Sam! Evan, for sure get ahold of Sam and he'll help you out. Carie Coleman with Stumptown is another resource as her position on the Board is Clinics. She is Carie CPink here on the forum. Good luck!

Bob

Comment

REI Portland Disc Golf 101

Disc Golf 101 clinic is coming soon. Wednesday July 8th at 7pm at REI Portland. I'd love to meet you most excellent disc golfers. So if you get the chance come out and support/heckle me.
                Sincerely,
                Evan

Comment

The one thing I always tell people is to throw from shoulder to shoulder. So you lift the disc up flat and back by your left shoulder and you run it right under your chin without dropping your elbow. So if you go straight across under your chin and don't drop your elbow you can get a straighter throw. Once you have that down well, after a year or two, then you can drop your arm. I throw from my waist now, but if I did that when I started it would go straight up and hook 3 holes over to the left. I have taught many people to play and that is my favorite tip.

Comment

Also if you are just starting and never really thrown a disc before then throw with 80% power at the MOST with your drives.
                    www.soulpancake.com
                    www.bahai.org
                    http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Teach them to throw the disc nearly level.

The natural tendency for beginners is to throw the disc at a steep upward angle.

Its a frisbee, not a baseball, it does not fly in a nice parabola (graceful curving arc), but rather, goes farthest when thrown on a flat line.

As a player gets better, they will throw more "wormburners" or shots that hug the ground, than ones that rise steeply.

Comment

Teach em to stay behind play, their minis and YOU can't break branches that are in your way.

OH! and Pack it in Pack it out.
                        rewindb.com

Comment

Ahh yeah, and don't forget the all important "FORE!"
                          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            Ahh yeah, and don't forget the all important "FORE!"
                            Actually Tim Just because you yell FORE, It does not relieve you of the responsibility of any damage your thrown disc might cause. So Courtesy towards all park users is the number one thing Cherries need to know,
                            rewindb.com

Comment

Also never forget when giving a new disc golf a disc if it is a driver never give them overstable disc to start understable for the win for beginners
                              PDGA # 31451
                              2 Mini Aces
                              75 Aces
                              PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                              DISC GOLF OR DIE
                              BOB CABAL
                              DISCVANGO
                              JEFF ELLIOT
                              G-MAN
                              JORDAN LEWIS
                              JEFF HAGERTY
                              JAMES GARCELON
                              SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X