X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discmosis

Thank you! My goal recently has been to eliminate the stupid decisions that lead to bogeys. I did a good job of that yesterday and the result was a great round.

Oh... and it didn't hurt that I was playing with better players, too. That ALWAYS helps my game. *hint-hint*
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Thank you! My goal recently has been to eliminate the stupid decisions that lead to bogeys. I did a good job of that yesterday and the result was a great round.
    Oh... and it didn't hurt that I was playing with better players, too. That ALWAYS helps my game. *hint-hint*
    I had a great round out there yesterday as well. For me though, I'm trying to eliminate those double and triple bogeys that have haunted me for so long. I was successful yesterday throwing 6 pars, 12 bogeys, and NO double/triple bogeys. Now to chip away at those bogeys and maybe get a bird or two.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
      I had a great round out there yesterday as well. For me though, I'm trying to eliminate those double and triple bogeys that have haunted me for so long. I was successful yesterday throwing 6 pars, 12 bogeys, and NO double/triple bogeys. Now to chip away at those bogeys and maybe get a bird or two.

Bob
      Well according to Sam and Haggerty if you could just play your rounds with Climo then you could move straight to making birdies...
      Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
      Or does here stand the last remaining man
      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
      Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Are you still trying to argue that playing with people who could potentially teach you something does not improve your game?

Hmmm... I thought you were smarter than that.

With that said... that is a GREAT round out there Adam. Take Jordan with you next time... he might learn something... oh wait... nevermind

Actually, I do hereby coin this newfangled learning process: Discmosis.

Discmosis - the theoretical learning process where players experience subtle or gradual absorption or mingling of disc golf skills by playing with others more skilled than themselves. Note: Discmosis skeptics such as the infamous Sausage Fingers refuse to admit Discmosis is a real occurance in spite of years of concrete evidence.

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
        Well according to Sam and Haggerty if you could just play your rounds with Climo then you could move straight to making birdies...
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
          Discmosis - the theoretical learning process where players experience subtle or gradual absorption or mingling of disc golf skills by playing with others more skilled than themselves. Note: Discmosis skeptics such as the infamous Sausage Fingers refuse to admit Discmosis is a real occurance in spite of years of concrete evidence.
          Second note: A few stubborn discmosis theorists will deny that discmosis can also occur when playing amongst your peers.

Comment

Are you still trying to argue that playing with people who could potentially teach you something does not improve your game?

Hmmm... I thought you were smarter than that.

With that said... that is a GREAT round out there Adam. Take Jordan with you next time... he might learn something... oh wait... nevermind

Great post Jeff!

While I do not deny that getting pointers from better players while playing a round helps, I cannot believe that just playing with better players will magically make your game better, anymore than sleeping on your textbook overnight will improve your test score the next day.

Sure it is enlightening when Mr. Climo throws a monster roller and pins the hole. That doesn't mean that I can throw the same roller just because I watched The Champ do so. Now if watching that throw motivates me to get out and practice my roller, then I don't see how that can be attributed to watching/playing with Mr. Climo.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Second note: A few stubborn discmosis theorists will deny that discmosis can also occur when playing amongst your peers.
              For sure this is true, Scott. If you play with someone who is AS GOOD as you, you might push each other and pick things up but if one player is playing with a better player, the better player acts as a catalyst and pulls the weaker player along.

Playing with your peers might accomplish the same thing in the long run but it is a much longer run.

That this is even an argument is silly. Jordan, if you think playing with Climo will not make you a better player, I have to scratch my head and wonder why someone as smart as you doesn't get such a simple and true statement. That you try and make a caricature out of it is kind of silly, though. No one said that he is some sort of magic elixir that will make you a better player overnight.

That said, I returned to Milo yesterday for the first time since the Fling. I stepped up to normal hole 16 and pulled out my Roc. I rolled it and it went left of the big tree in the middle of the fairway. Bounced over the hole in the ground with the ferns surrounding it and kept rolling. Made a right turn and sat me down between the two pin positions. I pulled out the XD and sunk the putt for a deuce - marking the first time I have ever birdied that hole in the deep position. Watching Ken Climo do that and working on that shot elsewhere definitely improved my game - if only for that one hole on that one round.

Seriously... why is this simple concept so hard for you baggers to understand this? Is it that you WISH to remain mediocre? Have fun with that. When those around you continue to improve because they play with better players and you are still shooting sub-900 rated rounds and continuously losing as your peers get better, please try to remember this conversation.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                Now if watching that throw motivates me to get out and practice my roller, then I don't see how that can be attributed to watching/playing with Mr. Climo.
                Really??? So... you see a throw that you don't otherwise see and that inspires you to practice it... that doesn't correlate for you to watching the throw in the first place? Very curious. Very wrong but also very curious.
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Really??? So... you see a throw that you don't otherwise see and that inspires you to practice it... that doesn't correlate for you to watching the throw in the first place? Very curious. Very wrong but also very curious.
                  Wow, for an atheist this sounds very much like religious fervor to me. Beelzebub made my shot sooo much better...

No. You went and practiced. You made your shot better. Why do you insist on giving the credit to Beelzebub?
                  Last edited by Sausage Fingers; June 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM. Reason: Didn't want to offend the masses...

Comment

For Jeff and Sam and all Discmosis proponents. Speaking from personal experience, playing with better players doesn't mean you get better. I've played with better players for most of my disc golf life. I have gotten better by a couple strokes maybe. The majority of my rounds for the last three years have been with guys who are rated 100 points above me(if I had a rating). PRACTICE makes you better. That is all. If you want to give credit to someone else then so be it.

Comment

Hey, EVERYBODY I play with is better than me. Does discmosis have an opposite?
                      I think the people I play with may be sucking up all my good shots. That would explain why my level stays the same and everybody I play with improves.

Studying a better player will help you learn. Getting lessons from a better player will likely help your game. PRACTICING will improve your game.

Playing with a great player does nothing unless you apply it.

Sam lost the argument with the part Jordan quoted of his.

Comment

LOL - because Beelzebub inspired the idea in me. Had I never watched Beelzebub, I never would have thought about throwing a Roc for a roller.

This is not a hard concept. You watch people do something that they are better at than you and you will pick up ways to become better yourself. This is not just true of golf but also knitting and walking and playing chess and a whole slew of other things.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the desire to remain a bagger rather than improve your game...
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                          For Jeff and Sam and all Discmosis proponents. Speaking from personal experience, playing with better players doesn't mean you get better. I've played with better players for most of my disc golf life. I have gotten better by a couple strokes maybe. The majority of my rounds for the last three years have been with guys who are rated 100 points above me(if I had a rating). PRACTICE makes you better. That is all. If you want to give credit to someone else then so be it.
                          BLASPHEMER! STONE HIM! BEHEAD HIM!

Comment

Reverse Discmosis - the theoretical declining process where players experience subtle or gradual absorption or mingling of disc golf lack of skill by playing with others less skilled than themselves. Note: Reverse Discmosis skeptics such as the infamous BullsEye refuse to admit Reverse Discmosis is a real occurance in spite of years of concrete evidence.

Bob

Comment

Wow, folks... Did you really think that the argument went "Watch better players, do nothing else and then you will get better?" Really? That's what you thought Jeff and I were talking about?

My response to this is...

Please... pull the heads out of the rectums and actually consider the other side of the argument rather than trying to simply win the race at the Special Olympics that is arguing on the internet.

Seriously...
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X