X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
    I do strive to increase the length of my putt and the gurth of my drive.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Jevon, it started about one person in particular who I feel wants to try tournament play and excell at it. I encouraged him to play intermediate at a smaller tournament and rec at a larger one. I still do not think that that is a bad idea for someone of that particular person's skills and the length of time they have been playing. He chose differently (I think) but that issue was done a while ago.
      If this was about my choice, I still haven't signed up for the Monkey yet, as we are trying to figure out how to deal with a possible schedule conflict Saturday night. I do know that I am signed up for the RCO, but that the lowest division was Intermediate. Therefore, I may end up playing Rec at the Monkey, just to see which division I should be playing in, overall.

If that comment wasn't regarding my decision, nevermind.
      TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Ok, here,s my story, and I'm sticking to it. I've been playing now for two years. I have played two years with nothing but better players. No choice, everyone is a better player than me. I HAVE gotten better! Better for playing with better players, or better for playing for two years? I don't think that it has as much to with "Discmosis" as it has to do with practice and playing more. I'll say that 99% of the time playing with better players is just that, playing with better players. The 1% that has made a difference is when a player notices something I'm doing wrong or could improve on and offers advice. Most of the time when I ask, I'm told, "oh, just go to a field and work on it". Advice, or rather GOOD advice is not forthcoming. Jason McGrew couldn't take it anymore and pulled me out on the course at Hyzer Pines last year and spent quality time with me working on throwing flat, keeping the nose down, and that changed my game dramatically. Then it was Mike Phillips, who offered me the advice that I was not snapping the disc at release but rather throwing it. Again, I saw improvement. Then it was Jeff Larson that noticed the dip in my drive and gave me advice how to get the dip out of my swing. This all came after playing for over a year and with many many much better players. For "Discmosis" to work you need several components:

1......Better players that will play with you.
        2......Better players willing to offer advice
        3.....Practice, practice, practice.

Bob

Comment

No. That is simply not the case, Bob. Simply watching better players will make you a better player if you allow yourself to store what you have seen for later processing and learn to play it back in the right way.

To wit...

Imagery is a very deep, focused type of mental practice. Researchers know that some athletes are able to imitate the actions of others because their minds take mental snapshots of the activities, and then they use these mental pictures as models for their performance. Does this work in recreational sports as well as competitive situations? The answer is definitely yes - and here is why.

Essentially, imagery is the process of receiving information through all of our senses from the external environment. However, images can also be generated as information from our own memories, so that we create our own internal environments or personally enhanced images. Thus, the combination of these two environments, both the imagined and the real-life ones, has a very powerful effect on our nervous systems. Certainly, in most sports, we take in both internal environment and the intensity of the external environment, as well.

You can conceptualize the imagery process by thinking about your home video player. Your brain acts as its own unique VCR unit, scanning for images and sensory input before they are collected and shuttled onto your mental picture screen. Unlike the VCR hardware from the department store, your internal equipment - when trained and used properly - will recall feelings, sounds and smells as well as visual images with ease.

The use of imagery is not a magic bullet but a technique that is used by athletes with great success, frequently and often. As most athletes explain it, imagery is a technique that programs the human mind to respond in a certain way in certain situations. All of us, whether recreational or elite-level athletes, can use imagery to improve our performance. As 1994 Olympic silver-medal skier Picabo Street says, "It would be extremely difficult to race downhill at 73 miles per hour without a mental blueprint of very specific images of the course." And, as many Olympians note, to use the psychological skill of imagery and use it correctly, you must practice it in a systematic way.
          Same book mentioned before.
          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Discmosis = true.

This coming from a guy who is not even into playing tourneys. Think about this example:

Pier Park hole 14 on the backhand anny route. I've played Pier Park countless times. Played it for years. Explored every route possible on this hole for a RHBH. At one time in the not too distant past, I wasn't hitting the line the way I think I should be on the anny route. One day I play the course with a golfer I don't play with normally, who happens to be fairly skilled. I don't even remember anymore who it was but that's not important. Anyway, just watching his footwork and runup angles was like a lightbulb going off in my head. I emulated this next time I played the hole and since then I've increased my percentage of having a look at a deuce in the short placement by an immeasurable amount.

That is just one example of anecdotal evidence. Most of us could go on with stories just like this for hours. You learn things by watching people do them well.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X