X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
    You are correct. No one can deny the effectiveness of practice. However, are you going to practice the same thing over and over, or are you going to try out that really cool new shot you saw someone do the other day.
    But you can see that playing with your peers, or those slightly better than you. And you'll be more likely to be able to replicate that really cool new shot because the person you saw do it isn't three miles ahead of you skill-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      But you can see that playing with your peers, or those slightly better than you. And you'll be more likely to be able to replicate that really cool new shot because the person you saw do it isn't three miles ahead of you skill-wise.
      With all due respect, if we all thought like this we'd never try anything because "We're not that good." There are a ton of really cool shots that do NOT require huge distance... a complicated anhyzer s-shot or anything like that. All they require is seeing someone make the shot and then trying it a few times to see what your disc does when thrown like that. Without seeing someone make that shot, you might never have even thought of it as a possibility.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by T-what? View Post
        I'm a firm believer in "Discmosis" I played 2 rounds with Pinkal on friday and applied what I saw the next day and shaved 6 strokes off my game. Idk...I learn from watching better players and stealing their techniques.
        I have seen the progress first-hand. Rock on T-what!
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Without seeing someone make that shot, you might never have even thought of it as a possibility.
          For a lot of beginners, I'm guessing rollers might fall into this category. You very rarely see them thrown -- intentionally. (Personally, I only throw them on Pier #1 left, and on Champoeg #7.)
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
            I've played my whole disc golf career with better players. (I can't find any that are worse.) I'm still a sucky player! Could it be that Discmosis only applies to younger players?

Bob

ARe you forgetting that time you played with me? I am by far worse, as you would be able to tell by looking at my Trojan bag tag, that is a scary looking picture on it .

I do think you can play better by playing with better players. I have yet to have it happen to me while playing disc golf because I am playing with people far better then me. It did happen to me when I played ball golf in high school and college. I hated playing with the girls that were worse then me, I usually played worse, I played an average round with the girls that we at the same level and my best rounds I played with the girl that won our district.

Comment

You are correct. No one can deny the effectiveness of practice. However, are you going to practice the same thing over and over, or are you going to try out that really cool new shot you saw someone do the other day.
              Or more - are you going to see better form and try to incorporate that into what you are doing or are you going to continue the same poor form you have been using?

I am stunned to think that people thought that I was just suggesting watching others was all that was needed to improve. That is NOT a part of my argument and never has been. If you are not already practicing - and that should be a given for anyone who WANTS to get better - then this whole conversation is meaningless, anyway.

My apologies for thinking that we were all on the same page when it comes to practice. I had assumed that the people who want to stay in Rec were also practicing but I guess maybe not.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

We are now almost to the point where we can clearly discuss the difference between "discmosis" and "dickmostist"

Comment

ha!
                  Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Who says that there has to be a difference?
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

At least dickmostist is something I believe in and am good at!

Comment

Yes... but can you get better (bigger) at it hanging out with bigger... uh...

Never mind.
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

What are you talking about? I've been at the top of the advanced ranks for quite some time now. I would move up but I want to retain my Am status...

Comment

I, uh... never played in the amateur division for that.
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

How about some actual facts in this discussion or would that ruin it?

There's no evidence that players play better or worse in tournaments playing in groups with a higher or lower ratings average than themselves in terms of their actual round ratings. Certainly if reverse discmosis was real, then Climo would have been pulled down from the top long before winning all of those titles in a row. Not sure he has ever played in a group with a higher average rating than his since the early 90s.

There are more newer, lower rated players coming on the competition scene. It would only make sense that there are more examples of players improving than declining regardless of the reasons, and they are statistically more likely to be playing with higher rated players in their groups. So the correlation is going to be there, but claiming there's a cause and effect relationship is a stretch.

For players to get better, they need to learn new skills and practice. It would make sense that they can learn some new things from better players in a tournament or league in addition to casual rounds. But that new knowledge may mean nothing during the round itself, just the next time they play.

Comment

Nicely put, Mr. Kennedy!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X