Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think, in ALL sports, it's most helpful to play with people a little bit better than yourself. If the gap is too big, you're almost playing different games, and you can't necessarily translate the pros' techniques to your own.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
      Great post Jeff!

While I do not deny that getting pointers from better players while playing a round helps, I cannot believe that just playing with better players will magically make your game better, anymore than sleeping on your textbook overnight will improve your test score the next day.

Sure it is enlightening when Mr. Climo throws a monster roller and pins the hole. That doesn't mean that I can throw the same roller just because I watched The Champ do so. Now if watching that throw motivates me to get out and practice my roller, then I don't see how that can be attributed to watching/playing with Mr. Climo.

Ummm the playing with better players and sleeping on a textbook is not exactly a good example, because playing with better players is like studying and applying what you study as opposed to doing nothing and sleeping on a textbook...
      Playing with better players will naturally make you adjust your form and lines to improve your game which is discmosis. Anyone who plays with much better players and dosen't improve is not studying and adjusting hard enough...
      There are plenty players out there that refuse to change their form and that is their problem unfortuately....
      Even the pros adjust every year, anyone see the dramatic change in Feldberg's form this year, unfortuately it isn't helping him as much as he would like...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
        Playing with better players will naturally make you adjust your form and lines to improve your game which is discmosis. Anyone who plays with much better players and dosen't improve is not studying and adjusting hard enough...
        DING! DING! DING!

Winner, winner chicken dinner.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          I think, in ALL sports, it's most helpful to play with people a little bit better than yourself. If the gap is too big, you're almost playing different games, and you can't necessarily translate the pros' techniques to your own.
          I agree with this to a small extent, but I still feel that by playing with people at a higher level will show you things you may have never even thought of yourself. No, you might not be able to pull off that slow, forehand putter roller around the corner during that round, but you might just try it while messing around later.

Of course, if you're playing with a more skilled player and you don't make an effort to watch and learn from them, then all bets are off anyway.

I started playing tourneys about 3 months after I started playing disc golf, and I know for a fact it helped my game tremendously.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I've played my whole disc golf career with better players. (I can't find any that are worse.) I'm still a sucky player! Could it be that Discmosis only applies to younger players?

Bob

Comment

Think about how bad you would suck if you were just going out there by yourself. Or just with Scott.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Think about how bad you would suck if you were just going out there by yourself. Or just with Scott.
                Now THAT'S funny!

Bob

Comment

I think a good example of discmosis (great term, btw, Jeff) is apparent when you compare OR to WA. It's no secret that on average, OR players are better than WA players. It's nothing that we up here are too proud of, but the tournament results speak for themselves. Why is this? Are Oregonians naturally more athletic than Washingtonians? Do discs fit their hands better? Is there something in the water that makes them throw farther and more accurately? Of course not.

I think it's a snowball effect of lesser skilled players playing with more skilled players and becoming better themselves. And then inadvertently, those formerly lesser skilled players influence a new generation of lesser skilled players and bring them up. In short, talent breeds more talent.

It's been my experience that when you're playing with someone better than you, even if you're not directly competing with them, something psychological happens that makes you want to play better yourself. Whereas if you're playing with someone roughly equal or less skilled, a lot of times you adopt an "ahh, screw it" kind of mentality.
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

The brain secrets hormones that cause you to focus and improve hand eye coordination, otherwise known as adereline as one of those hormones... Lack of challenge is a lack of hormones secreted in the body and hence your so-so play...
                    Also for those who think they "suck", look at most of the pros on pdga... look where they started, in the 800's... most of them have taken 3-7 years to get where they are at in PDGA competition, it doesn't happen overnight, but playing with better players frequently will help the curve progress a bit faster.

Comment

You know, I used to think that baseball players were the most superstitious people in sports...

Snap, so to what do you ascribe the hormone for choking? You know, when your adrenaline is pumping because the competition is so good and then you shank it into the trees? What's your PhD/MD explanation of THAT phenomenon? What?!? No PhD/MD? You just play one on the forums?

Every time that I have won a competition it wasn't because I had adrenaline, it was because I was able to trick my mind into NOT getting carried away with the adrenaline and just 'played my game'.
                      Last edited by Sausage Fingers; June 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM. Reason: missed a word
                      Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                      Or does here stand the last remaining man
                      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                      Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Dude... this has nothing to do with superstition. This has to do with fact. Playing with better players makes you better - if you pay attention and have a willingness to learn. Maybe the quaffers are getting in the way of this second part?
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                          You know, I used to think that baseball players were the most superstitious people in sports...

Snap, so to what do you ascribe the hormone for choking? You know, when your adrenaline is pumping because the competition is so good and then you shank it into the trees? What's your PhD/MD explanation of THAT phenomenon? What?!? No PhD/MD? You just play one on the forums?

Every time that I have won a competition it wasn't because I had adrenaline, it was because I was able to trick my mind into NOT getting carried away with the adrenaline and just 'played my game'.
                          I graduate with my masters this saturday if you wanted to know... and obviously my bachelor's plus plus plus degree is in physical education, sports administration and so forth...
                          When you shank it in the trees, that is your own fault, maybe for that last second you did something different to hold on or to redirect your body and lined that disc up with a huge tree like hole 2 at hornings *had a player say the course sucked cuz he hit it 3 times in a row, dumbaxx didnt even change his form all 3 times*...
                          usually a fked up throw is due to something you modified during your run up and the form it self causing that ugly shot... the more you play, the more concious you are about your form, the less chance of throwing a shank... Now if your throw was only a littttle bit off than what you wanted and still hit a tree, that is just "margin of error"...
                          You played your game by focusing on every aspect of your throw and didn't forget or change your throw for a round or something like that. Most errors come from blank minds or hopeful throws...
                          Masters degree good enough for that explanation above sausage fingers??

Comment

That's funny. Every time I recall reading a Sam post telling people to play up because it would make them better, it never included the whole part about practicing. It only mentioned playing with better people. I can guarantee that if you took 100 people and had them move up and another 100 people that just spent their time practicing, the people going to the field and practice basket would get better quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                              That's funny. Every time I recall reading a Sam post telling people to play up because it would make them better, it never included the whole part about practicing. It only mentioned playing with better people. I can guarantee that if you took 100 people and had them move up and another 100 people that just spent their time practicing, the people going to the field and practice basket would get better quicker.

You are correct. No one can deny the effectiveness of practice. However, are you going to practice the same thing over and over, or are you going to try out that really cool new shot you saw someone do the other day.
                              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I'm a firm believer in "Discmosis" I played 2 rounds with Pinkal on friday and applied what I saw the next day and shaved 6 strokes off my game. Idk...I learn from watching better players and stealing their techniques.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X