X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter baskets to be pulled indefinitely

I just heard that the EDGC is pulling all of the baskets at Dexter due to course vandalism. Rebecca was not sure how long the course would closed other than indefinitely. She said the baskets will be gone by next Thursday.

What? Wow! Awful news.

Pencil me in for a trip down Wednesday then.

Comment

Wait... what? Were baskets vandalized? Was there a higher authority that demanded this? What exactly happened? This is horrible.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

My understanding is that some small trees were broken off late this weekend and that it is a EDGC decision to pull the course. Rebecca, the EDGC prez, announced the decision at league tonight. She was not sure how long the course would be pulled for.

Comment

Wow. I am very sorry to hear this horrible news.
          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Dang, I saw some broken trees (on 13 I believe) a few weeks back when I was playing with Nate. What a damn shame!
            Team DISCRAFT
            NW Sign Up
            Gorilla Boy
            Paragon Disc Golf
            Odwalla

Comment

There will be several Work Parties while the course is closed... the goal is to open the course again with value added.

This has been in the works for awhile... The Corps of Engineers who own the land that the course is on have been putting pressure on the club to help maintain the property better... This winter volunteers responded admirably by working on more trails and helping to repair erosion around some of the baskets... I think the main goal of the club's action, which I support, is to remind the large usership of the course that it is a privilege for us to be out there and that if people aren't respectful that privilege will be lost. I know that some folks play that course three or four times a week (with summer coming I would soon have become one of those folks) and that Eugene is woefully short of courses... but that is all the more reason that we need to make sure that we don't get the course pulled permanently and I have been assured that the club taking strong action in response to the recent vandalism will be a strong first step in assuring that this won't happen.

andy

Comment

Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
                There will be several Work Parties while the course is closed... the goal is to open the course again with value added.

This has been in the works for awhile... The Corps of Engineers who own the land that the course is on have been putting pressure on the club to help maintain the property better... This winter volunteers responded admirably by working on more trails and helping to repair erosion around some of the baskets... I think the main goal of the club's action, which I support, is to remind the large usership of the course that it is a privilege for us to be out there and that if people aren't respectful that privilege will be lost. I know that some folks play that course three or four times a week (with summer coming I would soon have become one of those folks) and that Eugene is woefully short of courses... but that is all the more reason that we need to make sure that we don't get the course pulled permanently and I have been assured that the club taking strong action in response to the recent vandalism will be a strong first step in assuring that this won't happen.

andy
                Well said, thanks for saving me the typing.

Comment

As much as that must suck for you guys, I applaud the effort. Sacrifice like this couldn't have been easy to make. Hopefully it works out in the long run!
                  TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

This is the one top-tier Oregon course that I still haven't played... I hope those baskets do come back eventually!
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

so indefinitely? Does that mean the Eugene Celebration Tourney will not be held at Dexter? Its a Great Idea to close the course for awhile to spruce things up. Any word on New Holes or Pin Placements?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Roc View Post
                        so indefinitely? Does that mean the Eugene Celebration Tourney will not be held at Dexter? Its a Great Idea to close the course for awhile to spruce things up. Any word on New Holes or Pin Placements?
                        I'm fairly certain that depending on a few things, we will be able to put the baskets back in in a few weeks. In the meantime we'll get some of the work done that we need to do. Work parties TBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                          This is the one top-tier Oregon course that I still haven't played... I hope those baskets do come back eventually!
                          Drop me a PM when you are going to visit Adam!

Comment

Yes, the baskets are getting pulled on Thursday. The posted signs will say indefinitely but I hope it will only be a few weeks. This decision was not only based on the damage done to some small trees but because this has been a problem for quite some time.

Thanks Andy, Ben, and Matt for filling in the blanks on some things. The Eugene Celebration will go on as planned at the Dexter course even if we put the baskets back in just for the tournament. I know this is an inconvenience but action had to be taken. This was a very diffiicult decision but we are turning this into a postive. There will be various work parties done while the baskets are pulled. The EDGC has already done many improvements to the course but there are many more we want to do. This is the perfect time to do them.

I will keep you updated on the work parties. Dates will be discussed at the meeting on Wednesday.
                            PDGA President

Comment

I think the main goal of the club's action, which I support, is to remind the large usership of the course that it is a privilege for us to be out there and that if people aren't respectful that privilege will be lost.
                              Good work making the hard decision. I would also add a sign saying "course closed indefinitely due to vandalism of the course and destruction of the local environment". Milo should do the same thing... people need to understand that there are consequences to their behaviors.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X